Menu

dog people - favorite training book?

Lucy the Valiant

Sue Ailsby's Training Levels books. I call them the IEW of dog training.  

They offer a very thorough and detailed positive-training program.  Some may find them broken down into a bit too many tiny steps, but I (and my dog=) learned so much!  Wonderful anecdotes and general dog information throughout the books in addition to the step by step program that reaches the goal of having a well trained family dog.

http://sue-eh.ca/
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hillcottagemom said:

Patricia McConnell is great. She's a retired animal behavior professor (she taught my husband way back when🙂 We used her Beginning Family Dog Training with our last two dogs and were pleased with the results. She has a variety of books for specific issues as well.https://www.patriciamcconnell.com

Patricia McConnell is who I was going to recommend as well. She's very middle of the road - not clicker training mostly, but positive based, belives in being a strong leader in the sense of being consistent and providing context but not in the whole alpha nonsense, etc. 

That said, I also like videos/books by some trainers that use prong collars and e collars, etc. The ones that train behaviors with food/treats and clickers, but use prong collars etc as well are more where I end up personally. 

• Like 2

dd's breeder recommends Dr. Ian Dunbar. (the link goes to his free classes - here's a list of his books, while the puppy ones are recommended, there are others that would be more pertinent to someone with an older dog)  She also recommends a book by Dr. Sophia A Yin.  (how to behave so your dog behaves)

Zac George, he has a book out as well as a channel.

• Like 2