Menu

Transition from California Integrated Math to Texas Math

elleplum

I'm a year ahead in California's math system. As a freshman in high school, I've taken Math 2A(in the first semester, couldn't keep up with the workload and got an F) and I'm taking Math 2 for the second semester. If I were to stay in California, I would take Math 3 as a sophomore, Pre-Calc as a junior, and AP Stats or Calculus AB as a senior. However, I'm likely moving to Texas over the summer, and their math system follows a different curriculum.

My question is, if I move to Texas, what math classes should I take for the remainder of my high school years? If I've mastered Math 2, should I stay on the accelerated track and take Algebra 2, then Pre-Calc, then AP Stats/Calculus AB? Or for my own benefit, should I move to the normal track, take Geometry as a sophomore, then Algebra 2, then Pre-Calc as a senior?

I would really like to keep my accelerated track, because I want to reduce the amount of math I have to take in college. However, I'm afraid that skipping Geometry might put me at a disadvantage.

Thoughts on how the California curriculum compares to the Texas one?

FWIW, my dh took both geometry and alg 2 in the same year (in TX) to get back onto the accelerated track, so that's an option.

WRT disadvantages of skipping geometry: I'm assuming the Math 1/2/3 sequence is integrated algebra and geometry.  Wouldn't you have had 1/2-2/3 of geometry from taking Math 1&2?  If so, then you might as well go into alg 2.  Although if you feel shaky in Math 2, it's not a bad thing to move to the normal  track and start wtih geometry.  It's definitely better to master through Pre-Calc than to be shaky through Calc.  Also, geometry would be on SAT/ACT, so that's a factor.

What textbooks are you using in Math 1 and 2? 

ETA: I found these links for CA integrated math - do they match what your classes are doing?
Math 1: http://www.mrmathblog.com/integrated-math-1.html
Math 2: http://www.mrmathblog.com/integrated-math-2.html
Math 3: http://www.mrmathblog.com/integrated-math-3.html

Edited by forty-two

2 minutes ago, forty-two said:

FWIW, my dh took both geometry and alg 2 in the same year (in TX) to get back onto the accelerated track, so that's an option.

WRT disadvantages of skipping geometry: I'm assuming the Math 1/2/3 sequence is integrated algebra and geometry.  Wouldn't you have had 1/2-2/3 of geometry from taking Math 1&2?  If so, then you might as well go into alg 2.  Although if you feel shaky in Math 2, it's not a bad thing to move to the normal  track and start wtih geometry.  It's definitely better to master through Pre-Calc than to be shaky through Calc.  Also, geometry would be on SAT/ACT, so that's a factor.

What textbooks are you using in Math 1 and 2? 

We’re using the Integrated Big Ideas Math Textbooks. They have an android on the cover.

I’m pretty confident in Math 2, I just didn’t have the motivation to keep up with the ridiculous amounts of homework. My new class has much more manageable assignments.

24 minutes ago, elleplum said:

We’re using the Integrated Big Ideas Math Textbooks. They have an android on the cover.

I’m pretty confident in Math 2, I just didn’t have the motivation to keep up with the ridiculous amounts of homework. My new class has much more manageable assignments.

Well, using these links from IXL, Math 1 appears to have five geometry chapters (basics of geometry, reasoning & proofs, parallel & perpendicular lines, transformations, and congruent triangles), Math 2 appears to have six geometry chapters (relationships within triangles; quadrilaterals and other polygons; similarity; right triangles and trigonometry; circles; circumference, area, and volume), and Math 3 appears to have one (geometric modeling).  So, assuming the links are accurate and your class did indeed cover all the chapters, it looks like you should have had almost all of geometry in the Math 1 and 2 courses you'll have taken. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, forty-two said:

Well, using these links from IXL, Math 1 appears to have five geometry chapters (basics of geometry, reasoning & proofs, parallel & perpendicular lines, transformations, and congruent triangles), Math 2 appears to have six geometry chapters (relationships within triangles; quadrilaterals and other polygons; similarity; right triangles and trigonometry; circles; circumference, area, and volume), and Math 3 appears to have one (geometric modeling).  So, assuming the links are accurate and your class did indeed cover all the chapters, it looks like you should have had almost all of geometry in the Math 1 and 2 courses you'll have taken. 

That sounds about right. Thanks for your help! If I do end up moving, I’ll make sure to consider all the possibilities with a school counselor.

Thanks again!! :))

• Like 1