Menu

silly eye shadow question

HollyDay

I'd suggest Urban Decay Naked2 palette. It's all matte colors! but kind of on the darker side of neutral. 

https://www.ulta.com/naked2-basics-eyeshadow-palette?productId=xlsImpprod11151037&sku=2278485

TooFaced is another! My daughter has this one and the colors are beautiful! Brighter than the UD one

https://www.ulta.com/natural-matte-neutral-eyeshadow-palette?productId=xlsImpprod18031047

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 4

Charlotte Tilbury Eyes to Mesmerize cream shadow in Oyster Pearl. It looks like it has a slight shimmer in the pan but on the eye it just looks like healthy skin. It’s not only my favorite “me but slightly better” shadow, it’s the only one my mid-60’s mom likes.  

• Like 4

You might also look at the Too Faced Natural Matte palette.

I am willing to go generic on a lot of makeup products, but eye shadow is one I don’t skimp on. The powders themselves last a long time—so I just buy one palette that is versatile in look. The quality of pigments is just so much better with the higher end palette, IME.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The urban decay naked 2 palette is a very lovely palette, especially if you are cool toned, but it is not all matte. The full palette has several sparkly colors—I wear them. 🙂 

I think Naked 2 Basics is all matte. 

Yes - the Naked 2 Basics is the one I meant! 👍

• Like 2

So many great ideas here. Thanks for starting this thread!

I wanted to tell you about this Houston news anchor who started her own You Tube channel in 2014. She shares great info. about make-up, hair, hair color, clothes -- for over 50s.

I think she's 52 by now. With so many make up/hair options out there, she really tells you what she likes and doesn't like. And nothing is donated. She buys everything.

I got several really great ideas from her.

Dominique Sachse You Tube Channel

No Smudge No Budge Eye Make Up

Full Face Drug Make Up Tutorial

How to Look Polished While Staying at Home

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Katy said:

Charlotte Tilbury Eyes to Mesmerize cream shadow in Oyster Pearl. It looks like it has a slight shimmer in the pan but on the eye it just looks like healthy skin. It’s not only my favorite “me but slightly better” shadow, it’s the only one my mid-60’s mom likes.  

This sounds exactly like what I need! I have dark brown hair and eyes and light to medium skin. Would this color work for me, do you think? 

9 hours ago, HollyDay said:

I'm looking for a basic, go-to eye shadow base that I can wear daily to brighten up my eyes.  I'm almost 60 so I don't want any sparkle.  My usual go-to has been reformulated with sparkle.  Any suggestions?

If you want a non-eye-shadow, general eye-brightening suggestion, it helps me a great deal to do a little color correcting under my eyes.  A tiny bit of peach cream on the inner corners and dark circles before I use concealer means I can use a miniscule amount of both and have good results.  I didn't have to do this at all before about 45, but it really brightens my eyes now.  Do a little research.  Peach isn't the answer for every skin tone, but I'm very fair so that's what works for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

This sounds exactly like what I need! I have dark brown hair and eyes and light to medium skin. Would this color work for me, do you think? 

Judging by the youTube person I first heard about it from and the half dozen videos I watched before I ordered it, yes.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I love the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks. Some are matte and others have a sheen. Agree with @Katy above about Oyster Pearl. It's beautiful. I also love the Armani Eye Tint in Rose Gold and Cold Copper. They have shimmer without sparkles. The Armani Eye Tints look beautiful with eyeliner and it's such a simple look. 

I don't think Naked 2 is available anymore. 

Laura Mercier was one of my go to.  I was given some for Christmas but they are all shimmer

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have the same problem with finding lipstick. Pure matte lipstick is not flattering. Nor do I want shimmer or tons of gloss. I just want a cool toned nude lipstick that makes me look like I don’t have lipstick on. 🙂

I’ve got a toddler on my lap and dinner being cooked at the moment but what you described is most of what I have. When the kids go to bed & DH goes to sleep I’ll swatch most of my lip collection for you & post it here. I have a decent mix of drugstore & high end. I was just telling DH that except for a few favorites I was thinking of decluttering most of them. He hates bright colors and no one else sees me without a mask. They’ll probably be expired by the time DD2 can get a vaccine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

I’ve got a toddler on my lap and dinner being cooked at the moment but what you described is most of what I have. When the kids go to bed & DH goes to sleep I’ll swatch most of my lip collection for you & post it here. I have a decent mix of drugstore & high end. I was just telling DH that except for a few favorites I was thinking of decluttering most of them. He hates bright colors and no one else sees me without a mask. They’ll probably be expired by the time DD2 can get a vaccine. 

This would be such a help!  Right now, I'm not shopping in stores.

My "perfect" color prior to me becoming too dang old to wear glossy stuff was Dolly by Buxom--my nude color is definitely somewhere in the mauve range rather than in the browns....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have the same problem with finding lipstick. Pure matte lipstick is not flattering. Nor do I want shimmer or tons of gloss. I just want a cool toned nude lipstick that makes me look like I don’t have lipstick on. 🙂

Dr. Pepper Lip Smackers. It's all I wear. 

• Like 1

Here's mine that are closest to non-glossy, mostly muted to nude, slightly better than my own lips sort of colors.  I took this under a warm white LED bulb because that's what I have in the house. I have cool toned skin.  I think the lip colors look more vibrant in this picture than they do to my eye.

1. Givenchy Le Rouge Perfecto in 01 Perfect Pink.  It has this divine smell and is only slightly pinker than my actual lips.  It's barely visible but adds polish.  It has a tiny bit of tingle that makes me think it might be slightly plumping.
  2. YSL Rouge Volupte Shine in 44 Nude Lavalliere - pinkish brown.  This is similar- more 90's nude but very transparent, has tiny sparkles when you first put it on that are barely visible a minute later.
  3. Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Rose.  I've had this in my collection for so long I should toss it out.  It's cheap and pretty, but smears easily.
  4. Hourglass GIRL Lip Stylo in Futurist - mauve nude.  It's fine, but when I put it on I usually feel like I'm back in high school.  It might be exactly what you're looking for. There's no shimmer, it's not matte, it's Cindy Crawford in the 90's.  Polished.
  5. Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Creme Lipstick in 216 Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.  Eeek, this is discontinued on Sephora.  I do NOT recommend ordering from Amazon or Ebay, they are usually fakes with toxins.
  6. NARS Lip Gloss in Orgasm - Peachy Pink with Shimmer.  I know you said no shimmer, but since I have both the gloss and the lipstick I just wanted to point out that in addition to the blush, NARS carries about 5 different lip products in this color.  Be careful if you order it.  It says it's Peach but it's neutral to cool for a peach.
  7. NARS Lipstick in Orgasm.  Probably too much shimmer for you, but very pretty.
  8. Smashbox Be Legendary Liquid Pigment in Mauve Wife.  It looks like this has been replaced by gross metallic colors or at the very least is no longer carried by Sephora.
  9. Urban Decay Waterproof Vice Liquid Lipstick in Trivial. Discontinued at Sephora, out of stock at Urban Decay. 
  10. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Pearl 619 - Rise and Shine.  A Makeup Alley reviewer called it "the perfect nude."
  11. Nivea Cherry Lip Care
  12. Milk Makeup Lip + Cheek in Werk - Dusty Rose
  13. Maybelline Color Sensational Made For All Satin Lipstick in 376 - Pink for Me.  Same color is in other formulas in 03.
  14. Maybelline 660 Touch of Spice.  This is a dupe for Tom Ford's Cary.  Possibly too warm.
  15. Maybelline 215 Totally Toffee.  Too warm. Dupe for Mac Modesty.

lippy.jpg

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This would be such a help!  Right now, I'm not shopping in stores.

My "perfect" color prior to me becoming too dang old to wear glossy stuff was Dolly by Buxom--my nude color is definitely somewhere in the mauve range rather than in the browns....

If nothing in my above post helps, maybe this post will?  It compares similar colors: https://www.temptalia.com/buxom-dolly-full-bodied-lip-gloss-review-photos-swatches/

• Thanks 1

I don’t want to derail, but do you guys know if I could add an under eye concealer (and maybe a peach cream corrector@KungFuPanda) without doing a full face of makeup? Or would it look weird? I normally just wear tinted sunscreen, lip gloss, mascara, maybe bronzer/blush—but I’d love to conceal my under eyes without having to add foundation, etc.

I haven’t used a corrector before. Maybe I’ll just start with a concealer and see where that gets me. Unfortunately, it’s super hard to pick out the right shade of concealer online, especially when you’ve never really used one before. I don’t mind spending a bit of money on a good concealer for my dark circles, but I can’t afford to choose the wrong shade and have to repurchase. It’s so frustrating. And no way am I going in a store and having someone put something on my face right now. 😞 

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

I don’t want to derail, but do you guys know if I could add an under eye concealer (and maybe a peach cream corrector@KungFuPanda) without doing a full face of makeup? Or would it look weird? I normally just wear tinted sunscreen, lip gloss, mascara, maybe bronzer/blush—but I’d love to conceal my under eyes without having to add foundation, etc.

As long as your concealer works with your natural skin tone, it's fine.  I find when I use a color corrector I can get way with using much less product overall because there is less for the concealer to conceal. This would work well with a mostly naked face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

I haven’t used a corrector before. Maybe I’ll just start with a concealer and see where that gets me. Unfortunately, it’s super hard to pick out the right shade of concealer online, especially when you’ve never really used one before. I don’t mind spending a bit of money on a good concealer for my dark circles, but I can’t afford to choose the wrong shade and have to repurchase. It’s so frustrating. And no way am I going in a store and having someone put something on my face right now. 😞 

Do you have a makeup shade that matches your skin?  There are matching apps on many brand websites where you can say “I like this color” and they say, “this shade should match.”  I’d go with the same color & one shade lighter if you want something high coverage. And maybe just one slightly lighter shade if you go with an illuminating one that’s more sheer (YSL & Loreal age perfect come to mind).

• Thanks 1

@Katy not really! I haven’t worn foundation in a long time. I just wear tinted sunscreen now. Based on looking at online stuff about makeup, I’d probably guess I’m a Light+ Pink, or possibly a Light + neutral. The vein thing is hard. Lol I have some Cover Girl Aquasmooth in Buff Beige, but I don’t think it tells me what that is (like shade and undertones). Maybe I just need to wait until I finally go in person somewhere—whenever that finally happens. 

11 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

If you order from Sephora, you can return it if it's not the right shade. I've found it's nearly impossible to get the right shade with drugstore concealers because you can't see the shade. The Sephora website usually provides decent guidance about a shade. 

I didn't know this! That's awesome. Thanks!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mmasc said:

@Katy not really! I haven’t worn foundation in a long time. I just wear tinted sunscreen now. Based on looking at online stuff about makeup, I’d probably guess I’m a Light+ Pink, or possibly a Light + neutral. The vein thing is hard. Lol I have some Cover Girl Aquasmooth in Buff Beige, but I don’t think it tells me what that is (like shade and undertones). Maybe I just need to wait until I finally go in person somewhere—whenever that finally happens. 

If you really want a perfect match, drive to your closest sephora, double mask, and tell a sales associate you want a concealer match.  They'll match your skin with a machine and send you home with 3 free samples that should be enough to try each over several days if not a week.  Ask for the YSL one. I love Sephora.  I've found it's usually worth going with higher end makeup because it performs so much better.  The scents are pleasant instead of off putting.  You can get matched in store.  You already know it works for you.  By the time you try 6-8 drugstore shades to find one that's okay you might as well have gone with a high end thing that's perfect and lasts all day. I'm not one to do every expensive product.  I want to look like a slightly better and more polished version of myself most of the time. I don't like heavily contoured makeup or dark smokey eyes like I did in my 20's.  I like a quick 5 minute look that makes me feel pulled together but still look like me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I asked for a foundation sample at Sephora a few weeks ago and was told they can't do samples. Not sure if the rules are different in different stores. 

Is the YSL one you're referring to the Touche Eclat (forgive my atrocious French spelling)? 

I've never been matched with a machine at Sephora although it's been about a year since I asked them for help with a match. I have olive skin and I don't think the people at Sephora have a great job of color matching for me. 

Oh no, another thing Covid has ruined.  Yes, the Touche Eclat (I don't know how to spell it either and my little one just went down for a nap so I'm not waking her up to check).

I've been able to return product to Ulta.  Our Sephora does not do samples anymore.  They can put a swatch on plexiglass but that is about it.  I don't care for that because I can't feel the texture of the product.  

I did order from MAC.  Their customer service was VERY helpful and they will also do a video chat.  I can return product I don't like it.  

Our local mall makeup counters are very limited in both what they can do and what product they have in stock.  So, I'm thinking online is about it for a while.  I'm wondering if makeup companies are hurting because of the current situation.  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 8:59 AM, mmasc said:

I use a Sephora brand color corrector in peach.  My go to concealer is Tarte Creaseless and I have worn that without full face makeup.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, Ordinary Shoes said:

I've heard that there has been a boom in skincare all year. I've noticed that there is a lot more focus on skincare from many cosmetics brand. I've also read that Sephora is doing very well this year too which suggests that people are still buying plenty of makeup. 

That is good to hear!!!!!

• Like 1