Menu

Need help from bird enthusiasts UPDATE another question!

We are using Memoria Press science kit about birds. It’s going well and we enjoy it, but we have 1 question- on each bird it lists their “clutch size” and “brood.” What are these 2 terms describing? I’m assuming it has something to do with laying eggs, but I don’t know the distinction between the 2.

Edited by Calizzy

42 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

We are using Memoria Press science kit about birds. It’s going well and we enjoy it, but we have 1 question- on each bird it lists their “clutch size” and “brood.” What are these 2 terms describing? I’m assuming it has something to do with laying eggs, but I don’t know the distinction between the 2.

clutch size: how many eggs the mother bird lays each time

brood: I think that's actually how many little babies hatch, so how many she's raising.

We are having so much fun with this curriculum. We have identified a lot of birds in our backyard. There is a certain bird that we can't figure out and it's driving us nuts! We live in the midwest. This bird is all black (maybe some dark brown) and a dark beak. They are always in a group of about 10. They walk around pecking at the dirt a lot. It is a similar size to the Robin, but a bit thinner. It looks similar to the common grackle, but I never see the shiny irridescent head. I guess it could be a crow, but they seem smaller. Any thoughts?

Edited by Calizzy

• Calizzy changed the title to Need help from bird enthusiasts UPDATE another question!
25 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

We are having so much fun with this curriculum. We have identified a lot of birds in our backyard. There is a certain bird that we can't figure out and it's driving us nuts! We live in the midwest. This bird is all black (maybe some dark brown) and a dark beak. They are always in a group of about 10. They walk around pecking at the dirt a lot. It is a similar size to the Robin, but a bit thinner. It looks similar to the common grackle, but I never see the shiny irridescent head. I guess it could be a crow, but they seem smaller. Any thoughts?

Brewer’s Blackbird (male)
Rusty Blackbird (male, alternate plumage) -- see photo further down in article for alternate plumage
Brown-headed Cowbird (male)
Phainopepla (male) — looks like an all-black cardinal