Menu

Dd17 just fell for a SSN fraud while I was in the shower

Meriwether

Just now, Meriwether said:

they said she would get arrested. Sigh. She gave them her birthdate and the last 4 digits. What do I need to do now?

I would immediately sign her up for credit monitoring and make sure no can open anything.   I think that companies like Experian have expericane with this.  Also call BBB since they know a lot about fraud and will give you more tips. They are often on our local news warning about new frauds.

• Like 3

The scam calls are out of control lately. My mother-in-law gets me at least 3 times a month for these types of calls. We go over what kind of calls to ignore and hang up on, but they constantly freak her out. My elderly neighbor had some trouble with these calls in the past, but luckily I happened to be walking in his house while he was still on the phone and hadn't given any information yet. They are pushy and scary, so I could see how this happens to so many people. I'm sorry this happened to your daughter, and I don't have any advice with her being under 18, but it's a good reminder to go over phone and email scams with my son. 

10 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

I cannot put a freeze on her credit since she is over 16. She cannot until she is 18.

Well, that feels like a loophole for scammers.  Ugh!

I’m so sorry this happened.  I hope nothing bad comes of it.  Thankfully  she’ll have your help navigating anything that does.

• Like 1

I am sorry about the hassle.

It might be worth the fee to hire an ID theft insurance company for a year or two since she appears to have fallen into the age loophole. Zander Insurance is the one I have heard of (through Dave Ramsey sites). I don't know who else offers that service. It appears to be $75 per year according to this DR site:   https://www.daveramsey.com/recommends/id-theft-protection There is a family plan that would protect her if they won't do hers as an individual as well.

2 hours ago, Meriwether said:

Do I get her accounts with multiple credit bureaus?

yes.

report it to the FBI, The likely hood is this is an organized group, and they're on their radar.   Also report it to your local people helper (who may be able to give you 'what to do" info, and also make other people aware this scam is operating in your area so others won't (hopefully) fall for it.

I had someone get my info - I found out from the FBI.  I know it was them, they didn't ask me about any sensitive information, but did refer me to the fraud person at our bank (really him - I verified by looking up the information myself), told me how to get the credit bureaus to block accounts being created, etc.  It was an organized ID fraud group they were following across multiple states.