Menu

Blue kitchen cabinets

Scarlett

Does anyone have painted blue cabinets in their kitchen?  I am getting mine painted soon and I need to choose my color.  I like Benjamin Moore Prussian Blue but I am still looking.  My backsplash is white tile and counter tops will be white ( would also love some advice on countertop material that won’t stain—Dh suggests quartz)

37 minutes ago, lmrich said:

I just painted the cabinets in my son's condo blue - Love how it turned out. We used Sherwin Williams Naval. I also faux painted the counter tops to look like marble. We took down the cabinets, added the backsplash, and shelves.  Lots of work but so happy with how it turned out. IMG_1186.HEIC IMG_1186.HEIC

Thank you!  That looks great.  And wow, that counter top looks great!  I do think I want a color not quite as dark.  But I don’t want super bright or neon or anything like that.  

Anyone else?

I agree - we only have one upper remaining so it is not so dark. At my old house, I painted to the cabinets black but put glass in the upper cabinets so it was not so dark (the glass was frosted so you could not see everything) and used open shelving there, too. 

35 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Have you seen this year’s HGTV Dream Home? The kitchen cabinets are blue but are balanced by a lot of natural light above. Two-tone is very popular right now, I’d love to have some blue or dark sea green lower cabinets and white uppers. Actually I’d love to rip out a wall of uppers and put in a huge window but it would likely be cheaper to buy a different house. 😂

https://www.hgtv.com/sweepstakes/hgtv-dream-home/2021/hgtv-dream-home-2021-tour-pictures

I love it!  That is the look I want.  Of course my kitchen is much smaller than that but I have great natural light.  I wish they would tell what color blue that is.  

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

A side question - if my lower cabinets are now gloss white, can I just paint another gloss or semi-gloss coat of color over them? Or do I need to prime first?

prime.  Do a very super fine grit sanding so the primer and paint will both adhere better.

eta: make sure they are very clean, something that will take off oil.  you can also use a cleaner that will take off the "shine" part of the finish in place of sanding.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, medawyn said:

We just painted our lower cabinets Benjamin Moore's Hale Navy.  I love them.  I can't upload a picture right now, but I will try later.

I can’t wait to see a pic.  Hale Navy keeps coming up as a favorite and best seller.  How did you decide upon it ?  Did you try several samples first?

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I can’t wait to see a pic.  Hale Navy keeps coming up as a favorite and best seller.  How did you decide upon it ?  Did you try several samples first?

Hale Navy is dark, like SW Naval. Since you said you want lighter, look at BM Gentleman's Gray (spoiler, it isn't gray at all). It's a smidge lighter than Hale Navy. 

You really must do samples. You never know how it will look in the space. I second (or third) going with lighter uppers. I would only do the blue on the lower cabinets and would go with white/light neutral countertops and uppers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Hale Navy is dark, like SW Naval. Since you said you want lighter, look at BM Gentleman's Gray (spoiler, it isn't gray at all). It's a smidge lighter than Hale Navy. 

You really must do samples. You never know how it will look in the space. I second (or third) going with lighter uppers. I would only do the blue on the lower cabinets and would go with white/light neutral countertops and uppers.

Yes.  I keep coming back to Prussian Blue.  I am going to get several samples around that color and see what I think. Dh will be removing the doors. Filling in the handle holes. Etc. So I have a bit of time.  

11 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Does anyone have painted blue cabinets in their kitchen?  I am getting mine painted soon and I need to choose my color.  I like Benjamin Moore Prussian Blue but I am still looking.  My backsplash is white tile and counter tops will be white ( would also love some advice on countertop material that won’t stain—Dh suggests quartz)

I painted a set of cabinets Naval - it was a standing computer area but about 11’ long - Loved it! 

I did dark cabinets in my kitchen (Urbane Bronze) but did White Dove uppers. I loved the contrast. Do you have a fair bit of light in the kitchen?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

You need to prime, sand, etc. for the paint to adhere.

22 hours ago, Seasider too said:

A side question - if my lower cabinets are now gloss white, can I just paint another gloss or semi-gloss coat of color over them? Or do I need to prime first?

Definitely - clean them first get rid of the grease, sand them, clean them, prime them with a great primer - one that is known to stick to sleek surfaces, sand again, clean them again - I used three coats and then four coats of poly. It took a week. Drying time is everything! Do not rush the process. (oh and take off all the hardware)

On 1/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Seasider too said:

I would clean with TSP or TSP substitute and lightly sand with a fine grit paper --like 180 grit or 220. I would skip the primer unless you are applying latex over oil based paint.

Edited by popmom
OVER not or

I painted my island Ben Moore Gentleman's Gray. It's actually blue. I was also considering Hale Navy, but I was afraid it would almost look black at night. I'm pleased with it.

My white quartz stains. Not often. Tea seems to be the culprit most often--even if I wipe it up quickly. I have no idea why. Red wine drops can sit there for days and wipe right off. It makes no sense. There has been nothing that I haven't been able to get off with Bon Ami original formula, but I was pretty disappointed by that. It may be the brand I have. Vertex. So it's not one of the big name brands like Silestone or Cambria. 

Edited by popmom

5 hours ago, popmom said:

I painted my island Ben Moore Gentleman's Gray. It's actually blue. I was also considering Hale Navy, but I was afraid it would almost look black at night. I'm pleased with it.

My white quartz stains. Not often. Tea seems to be the culprit most often--even if I wipe it up quickly. I have no idea why. Red wine drops can sit there for days and wipe right off. It makes no sense. There has been nothing that I haven't been able to get off with Bon Ami original formula, but I was pretty disappointed by that. It may be the brand I have. Vertex. So it's not one of the big name brands like Silestone or Cambria. 

Thank you.  So far I am definitely getting samples of gentleman’s gray and Prussian blue and New York State of mind.

• Like 1

I'm following to see if anyone else has good suggestions for a white countertop that won't stain. That's exactly what I'm looking for! I told dh that I don't see why everyone wants quartz/marble/etc because good old white Formica doesn't stain, will handle anything I want to set on it! He's refusing to get Formica, I'm refusing to pick another color... so we still have our old, non-matchy, tannish marble or quarts or whatever it is countertops, lol! We are both EQUALLY unhappy! lololololol)

We painted our cabinets blue last year! But, we didn't go with a navy... ours is a blue-green jewel tone and I ♥♥♥ it.

Sherwin Williams (@ Lowe's) Oceanside on the outside: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6496-oceanside

Sherwin Williams Blue Horizon on the inside: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6497-blue-horizon

Trim in the kitchen/adjoining rooms is SW Ultra White.

I didn't want the inside of the cabinets to be dark. I love it. The two colors together make me happy, happy, happy. (our house is mostly decorated with neutral greige/white everywhere - then with bright pops of color here and there - a cabinet or a table or drapes or pillows...)

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, easypeasy said:

He's refusing to get Formica, I'm refusing to pick another color... so we still have our old, non-matchy, tannish marble or quarts or whatever it is countertops, lol! We are both EQUALLY unhappy! lololololol)

Our standoff was over flooring. Thank god that’s over. If only he had listened to me from the beginning! 😆 

14 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I'm following to see if anyone else has good suggestions for a white countertop that won't stain. That's exactly what I'm looking for! I told dh that I don't see why everyone wants quartz/marble/etc because good old white Formica doesn't stain, will handle anything I want to set on it! He's refusing to get Formica, I'm refusing to pick another color... so we still have our old, non-matchy, tannish marble or quarts or whatever it is countertops, lol! We are both EQUALLY unhappy! lololololol)

We painted our cabinets blue last year! But, we didn't go with a navy... ours is a blue-green jewel tone and I ♥♥♥ it.

Sherwin Williams (@ Lowe's) Oceanside on the outside: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6496-oceanside

Sherwin Williams Blue Horizon on the inside: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6497-blue-horizon

Trim in the kitchen/adjoining rooms is SW Ultra White.

I didn't want the inside of the cabinets to be dark. I love it. The two colors together make me happy, happy, happy. (our house is mostly decorated with neutral greige/white everywhere - then with bright pops of color here and there - a cabinet or a table or drapes or pillows...)

I would love to see a picture of your kitchen!  That color is beautiful.  The more I see other colors though the more Prussian Blue speaks to me.  

14 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Formica isn't heat resistant is it?