Menu

Cooking with frozen veg?

happi duck

Somehow I always mess up frozen vegetables.  With shopping less frequently I need to figure this out!

Any tricks and tips for cooking with frozen veg?  (I tend toward no oil and don't own a microwave but please share anything in case others are interested!)

Also, if I put a half used bag back in the freezer it ends up covered in ice crystals no matter what I do (Ziploc, tightly closed etc.).  Any solutions? (beside what I do now...always cook the whole bag!)

Someone else had a thread about this a couple of months ago. One of the things that emerged that I feel like I learned in the pandemic is that the quality of the frozen veg is super key to being able to enjoy them. Most brands are just terrible. But I got a chic organic brand of green beans as a bit of an emergency early in the pandemic thinking I'd throw them in soups if I couldn't get to the store or there was nothing fresh with the shortages... and they were actually good. Like, edible, able to be roasted or steamed and eaten like normal green beans. I didn't have to stir fry them or anything.

In general, I don't use frozen veg except for corn, peas, frozen butternut squash, and frozen spinach for certain things. Nothing else is much good. I think in a planning sense if the goal is go to the store less, you'd be better off buying fresh veg and making dishes you can freeze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the steamer bags of frozen veg that cook in the microwave for 4-5 min. They are very simple to use, and the portions are good for our small family. 
I used to cook frozen veggies on the stove in a small amount of boiling water. I’ve never had a problem with excessive ice crystals or freezer burn on vegetables, but I don’t usually buy large bags. I know larger bags are cheaper in the long run, but they last too long when only feeding 2-3 people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My top tips are:

Schwan's frozen produce is far superior to anything I have ever bought in a store. If they deliver in your area, I highly recommend. You can order online and they do contactless delivery to your door.

I roast frozen vegetables. I don't use oil, I just put the veggies on a cookie sheet and roast at 425. They are so much tastier roasted than microwaved or cooked on the stove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For me, one of the most important things is to not overcook them.  You want them just cooked til tender, but not overcooked.  At least for vegetables like corn, peas, and green beans, I like them cooked through but with a very slight crunch still.  Then I add a little butter and salt and pepper and they're good.  I cook them with just a little water.  Just enough so they don't burn, in a skillet with a lid.  

But, sometimes I cook them in a skillet with a little olive oil, no lid.  Then I cook them rather quickly on higher heat, so they have almost a roasted look and texture.  They don't have time to be overcooked, but they might char on the outside a little which makes them yummy.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, J-rap said:

For me, one of the most important things is to not overcook them.  You want them just cooked til tender, but not overcooked.  At least for vegetables like corn, peas, and green beans, I like them cooked through but with a very slight crunch still.  Then I add a little butter and salt and pepper and they're good.  I cook them with just a little water.  Just enough so they don't burn, in a skillet with a lid.  

But, sometimes I cook them in a skillet with a little olive oil, no lid.  Then I cook them rather quickly on higher heat, so they have almost a roasted look and texture.  They don't have time to be overcooked, but they might char on the outside a little which makes them yummy.

I'll have to try higher heat I think.  When I've tried in a skillet they let off tons of water.  Worse if there's ice crystals!

1 minute ago, happi duck said:

Do you thaw in the fridge? Counter? Run warm water over the bag?

Is it just trial and error which work best that way?

Usually we thaw on the counter or warm water over the bag.  The difference seems to be mostly in dishes where we want to bake the veggies with a protein.  Like we make this broccoli cheddar chicken casserole thing now with frozen broccoli, but the moisture is all wrong and it doesn't cook right if we don't thaw first.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Selkie said:

My top tips are:

Schwan's frozen produce is far superior to anything I have ever bought in a store. If they deliver in your area, I highly recommend. You can order online and they do contactless delivery to your door.

I roast frozen vegetables. I don't use oil, I just put the veggies on a cookie sheet and roast at 425. They are so much tastier roasted than microwaved or cooked on the stove.

Never heard of Schwan's.  This could be very helpful...thanks for the recommendation!

48 minutes ago, Selkie said:

For how long do you roast them, if they are frozen? Do you need to turn them or anything? Thanks! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, happi duck said:

I'll have to try higher heat I think.  When I've tried in a skillet they let off tons of water.  Worse if there's ice crystals!

Dump in a wok/skillet to thaw. Drain out the water after thawing. Stir fry the vegetables. My wok is a stainless steel wok so I have to either use a dash of oil or just leave a little of the water from thawing.

• Thanks 1

As far as cooking in a casserole — it cannot he straight from frozen!  Gross!  I agree about thawing, but I am fine with microwaving if I don’t set my broccoli out to thaw.  As far as running under warm water — well, this is fine, but if there are larger hunks of stalk they will stay frozen in the middle.  I have been getting “florets” more lately though I like broccoli stalks with fresh broccoli.  Even with florets — the stalk parts really take a while to defrost (to me). 

My level of organization is just usually not there and I am also happy with microwaving.

If I didn’t plan ahead — it would be faster for me to just prepare fresh broccoli than to thaw frozen.  Not helpful here but just to say — that is my experience.  

• Thanks 1

As far as frozen peas — we do like frozen peas.  We only ever add them at the end of cooking where they will heat through from a dish being warm.  

This means we basically add them to stovetop meals.  Yum.  Quick and easy.

They turn to disgusting mush in the oven ime.  If they go so far as to basically disappear — that is totally fine with me.  If there is just some little pieces of pea skin — that is fine with me.  If it’s actual disgusting mush — gross.

I like their texture when added to a stovetop meal straight from frozen.  

I also think they will reheat fine in the microwave if there are leftovers from the stovetop meal.  But at a certain point that can start to get mushy.

I do not add frozen peas as early as sometimes called for if I know there will be leftovers, bc I do not want to have reheated leftovers get mushy peas.  

They can add a pretty color, too.  I like the color of frozen peas.  Everyone in my family will eat them, too.  No complaints.

I am the pickiest about them, probably.  

Edit:  I don’t find them to release water, either.  Unlike broccoli — they do release water!  Especially with more stalks vs florettes.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Thanks 1

We don’t have frozen green beans often, but sometimes have them in a casserole. 

They can thaw sitting out or under warm water really pretty quickly.  I would think like 10-15 minutes.  I would microwave them for a short time anyways if I was in a hurry.  

But they are more forgiving. They thaw pretty fast and release a little water but not too much (compared to broccoli).

Edit:  I don’t want them very cooked (if microwaved) when going into the oven, but to me they reheat fine and have a good texture.  

I have gotten green bean cuts (cut in half) and (iirc) French green beans.  French green beans are the skinny ones.  They may have other names.

I definitely prefer cuts of regular (fat) green beans because they thaw more quickly!  

Edit:  the skinny green beans I like are a thinner variety.  I’m not sure what they are called.  I don’t always see them available.  

I would actually not cook them as long as cut green beans.  They are good, though.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Thanks 1

My favorite way to cook with them is to put them on a pan with chicken or other meat and bake/roast. So think sheet pan recipes where you put some chicken and broccoli and some cut up potato on a pan and season and bake. 

But in general, roasting works well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MercyA said:

For how long do you roast them, if they are frozen? Do you need to turn them or anything? Thanks! 🙂 

I just keep an eye on them and when the edges are getting crispy, I know they're done. I would say maybe 20-25 minutes for bigger things like cauliflower or broccoli florets and less time for smaller things like sliced carrots or green beans. No turning needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lecka said:

.  I have been getting “florets” more lately though I like broccoli stalks with fresh broccoli.  Even with florets — the stalk parts really take a while to defrost (to me). 

For frozen broccoli florets (Trader Joe’s or Costco), if I didn’t have time to thaw, stir frying in high heat works. I think Chinese stir fry temperature is estimated to be typically higher than teflon can withstand.

For broccoli stalks, I just cut it into slanted slices so that the slices look like ovals/ellipse. Then just stir fry to defrost.

Its more work than microwaving and slower.  Just an alternative if your microwave ever go on strike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grandmother used to stick a straw in the corner of a zippered bag and suck the air out before she sealed it for the freezer.  It's like the poor man's vacuum sealer. 🙂    She said that it prevented freezer burn, which makes sense - there's no water in the air if there's no air.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, happi duck said:

Do you thaw in the fridge? Counter? Run warm water over the bag?

Is it just trial and error which work best that way?

I pretty much never thaw my frozen veg.  If they've gotten a lot of frozen ice crystal build-up, I spray some water on them in a colander just till they crystals are gone. 

I usually stir-fry/saute them and add curry sauce, or toss them on homemade pizza (spinach and broccoli florets) - these come out nice and crunchy, no problem - as someone else said, don't over-cook; short time, high heat -  or or add them to soups/stews/chilis,

I use frozen mostly spinach, kale, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, corn, peas, and mixed stir-fry veggies.  And riced cauliflower! I don't bother with root veggies or winter squash, because they store well and I can use them fresh.  But I used to have quite the time using up fresh stuff before it went slimy.  I still use fresh too, but it's so nice to have all this on hand and not have to worry about things going bad or not having one thing for a recipe.

Brand-wise, I mostly use TJ's.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I was in tears yesterday because the last of my fresh veg got slimy.  Eating a lot of fresh veg + not shopping often isn't working out for me.  I really appreciate all these responses!

I’m sure you do this already, but when I buy my fresh supply of groceries, we immediately eat in a day or two all of the berries, avocados, etc, next I try to do salads, cucumbers, tomatoes, the last meals will be potatoes, carrots, celery, broccoli stuff, then the very last nights might be frozen green beans or potatoes again. So, basically go in order of perishable-ness. If you eat salad, I’ve found that fresh romaine, washed and chopped, and layered in a big container with paper towels will last me a good week at least. Way, way longer than the bagged lettuces. I like to eat salad daily, so this has been a great ‘hack’ for me!😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1