Menu

COVID-safe activities for teens

klmama

My dc's friend group is struggling to find activities that everyone can participate in.  It's cold and snowy here, and a couple of the students have medical situations that prevent them from being physically active.  Without skiing or sledding as options, what can they do as a group (4-10 kids) that doesn't put each other at risk for Covid?  All ideas welcome!

I mean, every single social activity puts us at more risk of contracting *and spreading* COVID, and the more people there are the higher the risk.

Being distanced and outside is least risky, so if they can’t be active at all I’d think bundling up (masked!) around a bonfire sounds ok. My DS recently did this with a few friends and I’d consider it fairly low riskish. 10 people would be over my comfort level, though, partially because it would be really difficult to maintain any distance and still socialize.

• Like 6

Dd18 likes to get takeout and eat in cars with friends. It's warmest and easiest with just one other friend (or a few siblings in two families) because you can park side by side, open windows to eat and talk, and still stay warmish for a while. A larger group can park in an empty corner of a lot in a circle, with hatchbacks or doors open and blankets. Chillier, but they're still having fun. 

Hotdogs or s'mores over a fire-pit.

Making microwave mug cakes over Zoom. Have they exhausted the Netflix party and online group gaming options? 

I know winter sports are out, but if walking is an option a short hike or a trip to a lake or some other natural area where everyone can bring chairs, hot beverages and heaps of blankets.

We're shooting for shorter but not infrequent get togethers, now that it's cold. Friends who never wore good layers, hats and mittens before seem to be getting used to winter attire.

• Like 1

My kids have been enjoying playing switch games online with different groups of friends. This isn’t something they did much before the pandemic, because we prefer socializing in person, but it has really been a fun temporary substitute. 

Edited by Amy Gen
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Acadie said:

We're shooting for shorter but not infrequent get togethers, now that it's cold. Friends who never wore good layers, hats and mittens before seem to be getting used to winter attire.

Same here. Now 35 seems like a pretty decent temperature! We can sit outside for about an hour, with a blanket and hot drink, and even a short visit goes a long way these days. 

• Like 1

My middle two spend a lot of time over at a friend's house hanging out outside. They bundle up (they got snuggies for Christmas 🙂 ) and play on the switch or watch shows/movies on his outdoor projector set up or just hang out and talk. He lives a mile away, so they also get a little exercise walking or biking over there as a bonus. They keep up with other friends online; they have a weekly zoom game night with a group of kids. 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:29 AM, BaseballandHockey said:

Virtual D&D?

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Mine have enjoyed jackbox.tv games over zoom.  

And there are virtual setups for lots of typical board games as well. 

Watch party (use an app to start a movie/show at the same time and chat). 

Most things that you can do inside you can also do outside, you're just colder, lol. Does anybody have a covered deck or patio (so they're not actually getting snowed on)? Is investing in an outdoor heater an option? Fire pit? 

What about pavilions at local parks? They're covered and will usually have picnic tables. Depending on lockdown level and comfort level, there may be bathrooms nearby as well.