Menu

Complete & utter fun! Look up #targetdresschallenge on social media!

Familia

This has been going on a month, so maybe I am the last to know.  Women are buying these pioneer-inspired dresses at target and taking photos in them while holding their chickens!  Dd is in a few chicken groups on FB, that's where the fun is really happening apparently, but I have seen it on twitter and instagram, too.  

#targetdresschallenge

I just cannot believe these dresses!  One style:

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-long-sleeve-dress-universal-thread/-/A-79777950?preselect=79643360#lnk=sametab

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Familia said:

So, this has been going on a month, so maybe I am the last to know.  Women are buying these pioneer-inspired dresses at target and taking photos in them while holding their chickens!  Dd is in a few chicken groups on FB, that's where the fun is really happening apparently, but I have seen it on twitter and instagram, too.

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-long-sleeve-dress-universal-thread/-/A-79777950?preselect=79643360#lnk=sametab

It's not just Target.  Like higher end stores have similar dresses.  Before the pandemic, I asked my kids if homeschoolers from the 90's had suddenly become hip.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Familia said:

So, this has been going on a month, so maybe I am the last to know.  Women are buying these pioneer-inspired dresses at target and taking photos in them while holding their chickens!  Dd is in a few chicken groups on FB, that's where the fun is really happening apparently, but I have seen it on twitter and instagram, too.

Those are leftover Halloween costumes.  They have to be.  I refuse to believe otherwise. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Those are leftover Halloween costumes.  They have to be.  I refuse to believe otherwise. 

Nope, the trend started with “cottage core” on Instagram, a few high fashion houses picked it up, and now it’s trickled down to target & h&m.  Think of it like the granny dresses in the 90’s. I know there was a similar trend in the 70’s too, but I can’t remember what my mom said those dresses were called. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Katy said:

Nope, the trend started with “cottage core” on Instagram, a few high fashion houses picked it up, and now it’s trickled down to target & h&m.  Think of it like the granny dresses in the 90’s. I know there was a similar trend in the 70’s too, but I can’t remember what my mom said those dresses were called. 

Oh my.   

I recently thought that the high-neck, frilly look that I wore in the early 80's was due for a come back. Does anyone remember tying ribbons around the neck of the blouses?  This is kinda like that.  But, NOT! There is a shirt dress style on Target that is similar but ties at the waist with a v-neck that is kinda cute.  I could wear it with low boots and look good, IMO, but the dresses I linked look completely like costumes.  I think those chicken photos are really fun, though! 

Edited by Familia
*forgot to mention the chickens!

Just now, 4atHome said:

I really like the target one and would buy it in burgundy and black, except it doesn't look very compatible with breastfeeding:(  such a good deal on clearance... hmmm, still pondering.

Well, considering the fact that you are breastfeeding someone says that you are much younger than me=)  That means, you'll look cute as a button in new styles...you younger gals can get pull off all sorts of things that would make me look ridiculous.  I may go for that shirt-dress, though.  

2 minutes ago, Familia said:

Well, considering the fact that you are breastfeeding someone says that you are much younger than me=)  That means, you'll look cute as a button in new styles...you younger gals can get pull off all sorts of things that would make me look ridiculous.  I may go for that shirt-dress, though.  

I'm 39 next week🤯 the thought crossed my mind that it's too young for me too 😭  Ugh and I'm probably still 20 lbs overweight.

1 minute ago, Familia said:

Oh, @4atHome, do it!  With boots or strappy heels, you will look as youthful as you please!

I am trying to look for the prairie style in a nursing dress for you.  Is that what the style is called...prairie?  Or, cottage?  Or...??

Ok, please do.  I hate shopping.  Except I like the target ones length.  I'm not tall (I'm average!) and don't want it to drag the floor.

• Like 1

@MercyAi agree with them being kinda pretty...in floral ness & femininity or something. But, I do not like their shapelessness!

Have you all looked up the chicken photos?  I’d link one, but I don’t know what’s allowed. Too bad I can’t post the photo from my dream. Really!  I dreamt that I set up to take a photo just for you guys. The last I remember, I was wearing one of those dresses hunting down Penelope in our front bushes. Penelope is DDs barn pet who, to my frustration, squeezes under the fence to spend each day scratching in our yard. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Katy said:

In the 70s we called them prairie dresses. To finish the look — a pair of cowboy boots. And Farrah Fawcett or Dorothy Hamill ‘do.

Famolare shoes with the wavy soles were popular. And the uber-ugly earth shoes.

I’m hoping the old school, button-fly, 100% cotton Levi’s will make a come back.

• Like 1