Menu

Inauguration - NO POLITICS, just thoughts on the ceremony

Tanaqui

24 minutes ago, Robin M said:

After engaging in a conversation, he now asks what is your heritage, where were your ancestors from?  No one has ever been insulted by the questions and always happy to talk about it and has lead to fascinating stories and conversations. So it's not always a bad thing. 

I'm glad your son has had positive responses so far, but I can tell you that my adopted DD, and lots of other internationally adopted kids I know, would not be happy at all to be asked that question. Some adoptees may be OK with discussing where they were born and the circumstances under which they were adopted with someone they don't know well, but I know a lot who would find that question really intrusive and none of someone else's business.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I felt the same about Jennifer Lopez. I am not a big fan of hers to begin with. She stepped out a little too far with the “let’s get loud,” IMO. She had a sweet voice when singing a ballad, but her shout out lacked decorum. Wrong place, wrong time. 

YES, YES.  I hated it.  That is not the time or place lady.  It isn't add your own lines to patriotic song show.  And putting your own song lines in there?  Nope.  Do that at your own show.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Robin M said:

My son has aspergers, not much of a filter and is always curious about people he meets from every ethnicity.  Every person he's asked has been quite open and provided feedback graciously how that question could be perceived and helped him to fine tune the question so it wouldn't be offensive or insulting.  After engaging in a conversation, he now asks what is your heritage, where were your ancestors from?  No one has ever been insulted by the questions and always happy to talk about it and has lead to fascinating stories and conversations. So it's not always a bad thing. 

I'm also autistic, and like many autistics I have more than a touch of developmental foreign accent syndrome.

Even as a white woman, hearing a million variations on "So, where are you really from?" is tiresome. I can only imagine it'd be more frustrating if I had to constantly wonder if the subtext was maybe "You don't really belong here, you're not a real American".

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I'm another one with sometimes horrendous pronunciation since much of my vocabulary first came from reading.  

I'm also one who absolutely HATED family trees and heritage projects.   My oldest had to do both.  Family tree with divorced and remarried parents, half siblings, divorced grandparents - just messy.   Heritage - Irish, Swedish, German, English, Italian and Welsh.    I think she did Italian since her paternal grandma was actually born in Italy, but I remember hating that project because I wasn't connected to any of them, nor was my mother or any of my grandparents. 

9 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I'm glad your son has had positive responses so far, but I can tell you that my adopted DD, and lots of other internationally adopted kids I know, would not be happy at all to be asked that question. Some adoptees may be OK with discussing where they were born and the circumstances under which they were adopted with someone they don't know well, but I know a lot who would find that question really intrusive and none of someone else's business.

Totally understandable and that's all they would need to say, is it's none of your business and that's the end of the conversation.  People will ask questions because by nature we are all naturally inquisitive. It's a learning experience for every one and we all have to learn how to handle uncomfortable questions and how to respond.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Totally understandable and that's all they would need to say, is it's none of your business and that's the end of the conversation.  People will ask questions because by nature we are all naturally inquisitive. It's a learning experience for every one and we all have to learn how to handle uncomfortable questions and how to respond.  

...we also all have to learn not to ask impolite and intrusive questions.

I learned as a child not to ask every question that popped into my head.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I'm another one with sometimes horrendous pronunciation since much of my vocabulary first came from reading.  

I'm also one who absolutely HATED family trees and heritage projects.   My oldest had to do both.  Family tree with divorced and remarried parents, half siblings, divorced grandparents - just messy.   Heritage - Irish, Swedish, German, English, Italian and Welsh.    I think she did Italian since her paternal grandma was actually born in Italy, but I remember hating that project because I wasn't connected to any of them, nor was my mother or any of my grandparents. 

I would have hated doing that.  I don’t really have a “heritage” and neither does my husband.  At least nothing more than a couple of generations. I know my maternal grandparents were born in Arkansas , that’s it. I have no idea what countries in Europe my ancestors came from or when and have absolutely no connection to any of it. I assume it’s mostly European because of my skin tone.  How the heck do I celebrate my “heritage”.  How long do my people, or anyone else’s for that matter, have to be here before it’s just American? 

Edited by Cnew02
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

YES, YES.  I hated it.  That is not the time or place lady.  It isn't add your own lines to patriotic song show.  And putting your own song lines in there?  Nope.  Do that at your own show.  

LOL, I'm sure Woody Guthrie would've approved. Would you rather she'd gone on and sung the verses about abolishing private property?

She didn't put her own lines in anyway. It was a medley - This Land is Your Land, a spoken bridge including an exhortation to join in + a few lines from the Pledge of Allegiance (in Spanish), then back to melody for America the Beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

LOL, I'm sure Woody Guthrie would've approved. Would you rather she'd gone on and sung the verses about abolishing private property?

She didn't put her own lines in anyway. It was a medley - This Land is Your Land, a spoken bridge including an exhortation to join in + a few lines from the Pledge of Allegiance (in Spanish), then back to melody for America the Beautiful.

To each their own.  I didn't like it at all.  

11 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I'm also autistic, and like many autistics I have more than a touch of developmental foreign accent syndrome.

Even as a white woman, hearing a million variations on "So, where are you really from?" is tiresome. I can only imagine it'd be more frustrating if I had to constantly wonder if the subtext was maybe "You don't really belong here, you're not a real American".

I hadn't heard of the developmental foreign accent syndrome and had to look it up. Can understand how that would be frustrating, but the thought that someone may not be a real American hadn't crossed my mind.  I hope you don't have to worry or wonder about that.  We're in California which is very a very multicultural area and that isn't even a question that comes up.  

2 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

...we also all have to learn not to ask impolite and intrusive questions.

I learned as a child not to ask every question that popped into my head.

So did I and my son is learning to censor himself and how to read other people, their body language.  Life teaches us much by how we interact with one another.    But if we kill all natural curiosity, how will we ever learn from or get to know other people. The majority of my family are extroverts and very sociable, and have no problem striking up conversations with folks about whatever subject.  I used to be very private and embarrass easily but with opening up our life to a village full of therapists and all that goes with raising a child on the spectrum, every interaction, every conversation becomes a learning experience.  We all look at life differently and it helps to walk in someone else's shoes and see how other people handle things.  

Sorry to derail the thread from the inauguration.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

To each their own.  I didn't like it at all.  

Sure - but you don't seriously think she adlibbed, do you?

The Bidens didn't just call up their three favorite singers who'd take their calls and ask them to show up. The performers were all chosen for their political value. (Well, we'll assume Lady Gaga was picked in no small part because she has the range to sing the anthem. That's not easy if you aren't going to switch octaves midway through!)

Garth Brooks was picked to appeal to the country music demographic.

Jennifer Lopez was picked to appeal to Hispanics, who did not support Biden (or the Democrat party generally) as much as they might have hoped. "This Land is Your Land", quite aside from being a song most of us know, is an old protest song about income inequality. The spoken "With liberty and justice for all" in Spanish is a message to Hispanic voters, a calculated move to get them more on Biden's side.

She didn't just decide, on a whim, to throw it in there for her own self-aggrandizement. I promise, this was all part of the show, done to the script.

• Like 4

We're in California which is very a very multicultural area and that isn't even a question that comes up.  

I promise you, just because you think that doesn't make it true. It was less than 30 years ago that the notoriously racist Prop 187 was passed in California.

I live in NYC which is also a very very multicultural area. This is a question that comes up.

But if we kill all natural curiosity, how will we ever learn from or get to know other people.

This seems a very funny thing to say given that you don't seem interested in learning from other people explicitly telling you that this specific question, in all its variations, is inappropriate. Why don't you actually try walking in other people's shoes before you tell me how wonderful it is?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tanaqui said:

Sure - but you don't seriously think she adlibbed, do you?

The Bidens didn't just call up their three favorite singers who'd take their calls and ask them to show up. The performers were all chosen for their political value. (Well, we'll assume Lady Gaga was picked in no small part because she has the range to sing the anthem. That's not easy if you aren't going to switch octaves midway through!)

Garth Brooks was picked to appeal to the country music demographic.

Jennifer Lopez was picked to appeal to Hispanics, who did not support Biden (or the Democrat party generally) as much as they might have hoped. "This Land is Your Land", quite aside from being a song most of us know, is an old protest song about income inequality. The spoken "With liberty and justice for all" in Spanish is a message to Hispanic voters, a calculated move to get them more on Biden's side.

She didn't just decide, on a whim, to throw it in there for her own self-aggrandizement. I promise, this was all part of the show, done to the script.

I didn't say that she did or didn't.  I am not going to pretend to know how that came about.  Whether it was her idea or not, doesn't change my thoughts on it.  

I just didn't like it.  Still don't.  That is my personal thought on it.  

23 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Why is it nobody ever includes those awesome verses???

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

This seems a very funny thing to say given that you don't seem interested in learning from other people explicitly telling you that this specific question, in all its variations, is inappropriate. Why don't you actually try walking in other people's shoes before you tell me how wonderful it is?

I could just say yes, ma'am as you seem to think I'm not listening.  However I am and my comment about walking in other peoples shoes was meant to address that since you and others have just pointed it out, I will try walking in other peoples shoes and be more cognizant of how others are affected.   Thank you for expressing your views, I'll take them into consideration. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Why is it nobody ever includes those awesome verses???

I do! But this is because I always include ALL the verses to ALL the songs and not because I'm so worked up about private property.

(I mean, don't get me wrong, I am. But that's not why I sing the verses.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rainbird2 said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but I would like to ask...what is the best way to ask someone about their ethnicity?  Or, is it never a good idea to ask?  I ask because I am genuinely curious, I love knowing people's backgrounds, and I love learning about their culture. 

We are a blended family of 6 different ethnicities.  My husband and I attended a high school that we nicknamed the U.N.  We often asked people's ethnic backgrounds because we needed to know if we should speak Mandarin or Cantonese in one house, or Gujarati or Punjabi, or Arabic or Swahili in another.  It was no big deal. 

What is acceptable these days?

I am sure this is different for everyone based on their past experiences.    Because of my experience, I have never asked anyone.  And I wouldn't.  It normally comes up in conversation when you are friends with someone overtime.  People open the door and because we are friends we talk about things.   If we are friends I am sure I would have brought up my history, so you would know my racial identity.   It isn't something I hide.  But I also don't go "Hi my name is Mommyoffive and this is my racial background.    But I have had so many people just come up to me and ask me "What are you?"   People I have never met before.  Or the as soon as getting introduced to me and learning my  name, the next question.  It always felt like a test to me on whether they would be friends with me or not.  People always tell me that I could "pass" for so many different backgrounds.   But probably based on my past experiences I don't care or need to know someone's background.  Not that I don't want to hear about if someone wants to talk about it.  But it just isn't something that I even think about. 

• Like 3

On 1/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, historically accurate said:

Bernie Sanders' coat and mittens were pretty awesome. I'm always in awe at the lighter jackets in DC in January, although Michelle Obama's outfit was superb. Sanders actually looked like he was prepared for winter. I saw it described on Twitter as "Vermont grandfather chic". LOL.

Yep, Amanda Gorman was the hit. Lady Gaga did a great job today.

On 1/20/2021 at 4:12 PM, BaseballandHockey said:

It's not a particularly cold day today.  

OK, I thought it was cold.  The temperature wasn't THAT low, but I went to the grocery store that day, and I wasn't out very long, but some of those wind gusts were freezing.  It was like they belonged to a whole other day.  I'm with Bernie on this one.  

On 1/20/2021 at 7:34 PM, Tanaqui said:

I mean, it's literally not? Though with the wind chill...!

On 1/20/2021 at 9:27 PM, kiwik said:

3 questions for US people.

1/ What is the reasoning behind it being such a public event? 

2/why is there such a long gap between the election and change of government given you have a 2 party system?

3/  Why have you had 46 Presidents and no women yet?

1. Tradition! 

2. It's a big machine and it takes some time to get new teams transitioned and get it driving it in another direction.

3. No good excuses.

7 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

It was definitely good to see artists again. I’ve never enjoyed country music but I enjoyed Garth Brooks and his enthusiasm. I did not enjoy JLo’s insertion of the ‘Let’s get loud’ line. The occasion’s not about you, lady. Lady Gaga’s vocals were iffy but the spirit/emotion was nice.

2 hours ago, Garga said:

I read the name a bunch of times before ever hearing it and had no clue how to pronounce it. But after reading what you wrote above, I doubt I’ll ever mispronounce it again: Kamala is the *first female VP and her name is stressed on the *first syllable.

I very much hated JLo’s interjection in the middle of the song. It completely took me away from the moment in a negative, jarring way. I had no idea what was going on and still don’t. Is it referencing a song she wrote? I really feel like it was all about “look at meeee!”. But since I have no clue what was happening, maybe I’m misreading that. (?) What did it mean? Why did she do that?

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

It’s a line from a song she popularized. It had no place in the ceremony. I had the same reaction you did. Very out of place.

I think "Let's Get Loud" is being used politically lately as an anthem for speaking out against oppression.  It might not be as out of place as you imagine. She belted this phrase right after saying the last line of the pledge.  My personal interpretation was "We WILL be one nation, dammit, even if we have to make some noise getting there." I could be dead wrong, but I don't think the choice was as random as her just feeling like tossing a line of her own music into the mix.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am sure this is different for everyone based on their past experiences.    Because of my experience, I have never asked anyone.  And I wouldn't.  It normally comes up in conversation when you are friends with someone overtime.  People open the door and because we are friends we talk about things.   If we are friends I am sure I would have brought up my history, so you would know my racial identity.   It isn't something I hide.  But I also don't go "Hi my name is Mommyoffive and this is my racial background.    But I have had so many people just come up to me and ask me "What are you?"   People I have never met before.  Or the as soon as getting introduced to me and learning my  name, the next question.  It always felt like a test to me on whether they would be friends with me or not.  People always tell me that I could "pass" for so many different backgrounds.   But probably based on my past experiences I don't care or need to know someone's background.  Not that I don't want to hear about if someone wants to talk about it.  But it just isn't something that I even think about. 

Ah, I get it.  I can understand how in certain situations this could seem like (or could possibly be) a test.  I have a set of grandparents who lived in a community of mixed race African-Americans in the south.  They were children of enslaved people raped by their "masters".  They would leave the community and pass for White to enter certain stores, but would return to their communities as African-Americans.  No one could ever tell my father's ethnicity, and he had to deal with this issue as a child.  It was hard for him.  

Thing is, I never knew any of this until I asked him about it after our school encouraged us to learn and share our heritage.  I'm kind of glad the school encouraged this.  For me, it was a positive experience.  I can see how it wouldn't be for others.

I have a one sided perspective because I went to very diverse schools, and openly discussing and asking about race and culture were widely accepted.  Some of the American-born kids were nervous asking about different cultures, so having the cultural celebration days and such were a way for them to ask without offending.  And, out of respect for when we entered other people's homes, we wanted to greet their parents and grandparents in whatever language they spoke in their home.  It wasn't ever something offensive, but welcoming.  

But, I will be sensitive to other's experiences and not ask anymore.  Lesson learned.

Edited by rainbird2
Punctuation
  • Like 2

I think "Let's Get Loud" is being used politically lately as an anthem for speaking out against oppression.  It might not be as out of place as you imagine. She belted this phrase right after saying the last line of the pledge.  My personal interpretation was "We WILL be one nation, dammit, even if we have to make some noise getting there." I could be dead wrong, but I don't think the choice was as random as her just feeling like tossing a line of her own music into the mix.  

Yes, like I've been saying, whatever you or I may think of her, she is a professional and she knows what she's doing - and nothing about this inauguration was left to chance.

I don't care if other people like it or dislike it - honestly, I think that's about the least interesting thing to say about anything! - but I'm surprised so many people (not just here) seem to think that she... idk, just decided to steal the show for no reason.

We actually watched the Amazon Prime stream which turned out to be produced by the team responsible for putting the inauguration together - as I think I said, we got a lot of behind the scenes shots - and one of the things the commenters stressed is that, you know, there's only been 59 of these. Over the generations each presidency has added new traditions and dropped old ones. The only thing that's really required is that the president and vice president swear in. (Or affirm, I guess.) They could do that in any old closet, without any of this. All the rest of the stuff around it... honestly, it's political showmanship.

Acting like Jennifer Lopez just suddenly decided to go off script is missing the most interesting point - why she was there, why she was singing those songs in that medley, why any of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Hey, culture question.

At civic events like this, do you guys do your own form of acknowledgement of country?

https://www.commonground.org.au/learn/acknowledgement-of-country#:~:text=So in Sydney%2C an Acknowledgement,'

This is commonly done in Canada, referred to as Land Acknowledgement.  No idea about the USA.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

OK, I thought it was cold.  The temperature wasn't THAT low, but I went to the grocery store that day, and I wasn't out very long, but some of those wind gusts were freezing.  It was like they belonged to a whole other day.  I'm with Bernie on this one.  

1. Tradition! 

2. It's a big machine and it takes some time to get new teams transitioned and get it driving it in another direction.

3. No good excuses.

Meh. I’m fine with her as a performer. I actually enjoyed the Super Bowl performance last year as it befit the raucous occasion. Her vocals were definitely better than Lady Gaga’s. I probably would have felt differently about this insertion if there had been a receptive crowd present, a traditional inauguration, a celebratory and rally-type atmosphere. I wouldn’t expect people sitting in their homes and septuagenarian onlookers to participate tho so it struck a discordant note. It just didn’t fit. It’s also true that raucous crowd amping just isn’t what I’m looking for given all that’s occurred. 

ETA: I don’t think she went off script. I think the people requesting and allowing that script were tone deaf.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

So last night, I was scrolling through the Bernie Sanders memes on twitter to prevent myself from doomscrolling. If you haven’t seen this yet, and are looking for a good laugh, check it out. People are photoshopping Bernie into famous photos and paintings. I think my favorite so far is Botticelli's The Birth of Venus.  I don't care what your political leaning is, you have to hand it to Bernie's PR people. They took the meme and ran with it. They are selling (well, not any more, it has already sold out) a sweatshirt with the photo of Bernie in his mittens with all proceeds going to Vermont Meals on Wheels. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Robin M said:

I could just say yes, ma'am as you seem to think I'm not listening.  However I am and my comment about walking in other peoples shoes was meant to address that since you and others have just pointed it out, I will try walking in other peoples shoes and be more cognizant of how others are affected.   Thank you for expressing your views, I'll take them into consideration. 

Well done! I really appreciate your calm, polite response. It seems somehow ironic, or maybe hypocritical, to hear people pointing out some way you have offended others while they grind you into the dust. I really appreciated your response.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Thanks. That looks complete. It's 6+ hours long so I'm thinking it must be 😂 Most of what I found was shorter which made me think it wasn't complete. I know what I'm doing later.

2 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

So last night, I was scrolling through the Bernie Sanders memes on twitter to prevent myself from doomscrolling. If you haven’t seen this yet, and are looking for a good laugh, check it out. People are photoshopping Bernie into famous photos and paintings. I think my favorite so far is Botticelli's The Birth of Venus.  I don't care what your political leaning is, you have to hand it to Bernie's PR people. They took the meme and ran with it. They are selling (well, not any more, it has already sold out) a sweatshirt with the photo of Bernie in his mittens with all proceeds going to Vermont Meals on Wheels. 

I'm loving the Bernie memes. They're so much fun! He was on Seth Meyers Late Night the other night and had a sense of humor about it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Hey, culture question.

At civic events like this, do you guys do your own form of acknowledgement of country?

https://www.commonground.org.au/learn/acknowledgement-of-country#:~:text=So in Sydney%2C an Acknowledgement,'

7 hours ago, wathe said:

This is commonly done in Canada, referred to as Land Acknowledgement.  No idea about the USA.

I want to live in Canada. (Australia is very nice, too, but too far away!)

And, no, there is nothing like this.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Garga said:

I read the name a bunch of times before ever hearing it and had no clue how to pronounce it. But after reading what you wrote above, I doubt I’ll ever mispronounce it again: Kamala is the *first female VP and her name is stressed on the *first syllable.

I very much hated JLo’s interjection in the middle of the song. It completely took me away from the moment in a negative, jarring way. I had no idea what was going on and still don’t. Is it referencing a song she wrote? I really feel like it was all about “look at meeee!”. But since I have no clue what was happening, maybe I’m misreading that. (?) What did it mean? Why did she do that?

I was much more distressed by the choice of "This Land Is Your Land" as though it's a patriotic song. It's like no one knows anything beyond the first verse of that one.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

1. Tradition! 

3. No good excuses.

Oh, I understand now why she said it. And I understand now that it was supposed to have meaning. I understand she wasn’t just tossing in her own thing. 

And maybe it made people’s hearts sing, I dunno. To me, it didn’t fit with anything else. It came across as aggressive in some way. It was a discordant tone out of nowhere.

I also didn’t like when she was speaking Spanish. (Yup. I said it). If she was going to do that, they should have translated it on screen. I have no idea what she said. I actually didn’t even know she sang “Let’s Get Loud” because I was thinking it was still in Spanish. 

So, there I am watching her sing, and she suddenly aggressively starts speaking in Spanish, saying I have no idea what, and then sings out some words (that I didn’t realize were English because my ears were still trying to sort out what she’d just said) and then keeps going with the America song. I had no idea what just happened. Had she just said F-Trump? Had she said Go Biden? No clue what was happening.

It was just weird. All I could do was raise an eyebrow and wonder what had just happened and who thought it was a good idea.

4 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Meh. I’m fine with her as a performer. I actually enjoyed the Super Bowl performance last year as it befit the raucous occasion. Her vocals were definitely better than Lady Gaga’s. I probably would have felt differently about this insertion if there had been a receptive crowd present, a traditional inauguration, a celebratory and rally-type atmosphere. I wouldn’t expect people sitting in their homes and septuagenarian onlookers to participate tho so it struck a discordant note. It just didn’t fit. It’s also true that raucous crowd amping just isn’t what I’m looking for given all that’s occurred. 

ETA: I don’t think she went off script. I think the people requesting and allowing that script were tone deaf.

Yup, to everything you just said.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I wonder if this is a case where schools have opened the door

Almost every year, my kids have had to do a project that have to do with their origins. Dressing a picture up in their cultural clothing. Making food to share from their heritage. Writing a essay about their background. Etc. This does lead to curiousity about where others come from.

This is actually one of the reasons I homeschooled my kids. I'm biracial and not born Jewish. My husband's dad isn't Jewish (although he'd win a Woody Allen contest). All the Jewish schools do this activity in elementary school. Some kids have illustrious ancestry as seen in Jewish circles. Mine have veeeerrrryyyy not that. It is so othering.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

I was actually hoping through the whole performance that she would switch to Spanish at some point, so I was actually excited when she did and I clapped while sitting here on my couch. 😁 The let’s get loud part didn’t really bother me either but I did think it was weird. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, TCB said:

Well done! I really appreciate your calm, polite response. It seems somehow ironic, or maybe hypocritical, to hear people pointing out some way you have offended others while they grind you into the dust. I really appreciated your response.

Thank you.  It's another skill I'm trying to teach my son is how to accept constructive criticism whether you agree with it or not.  After 40 some odd years in customer service working in corporations and now my own business, I've learned how to give and take constructive criticism. There are many shades of gray and no one is ever wrong, they just have different ways of doing things. Be polite,  open minded, listen, and learn, and decide what works for you. 

And given that we just watched the Inauguration and the Celebration of America concert in which the theme is to come together in unity, trying my best not to be divisive.   All the songs and stories were beautiful, particularly liked Tim McGraw's song Undivided which was perfect,  and Katie Perry's song Fireworks accompanied by all the fireworks drove me to tears.   

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Thank you.  It's another skill I'm trying to teach my son is how to accept constructive criticism whether you agree with it or not.  After 40 some odd years in customer service working in corporations and now my own business, I've learned how to give and take constructive criticism. There are many shades of gray and no one is ever wrong, they just have different ways of doing things. Be polite,  open minded, listen, and learn, and decide what works for you. 

And given that we just watched the Inauguration and the Celebration of America concert in which the theme is to come together in unity, trying my best not to be divisive.   All the songs and stories were beautiful, particularly liked Tim McGraw's song Undivided which was perfect,  and Katie Perry's song Fireworks accompanied by all the fireworks drove me to tears.   

Just wanted to let you know that you are my online hero of the day.  😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, there I am watching her sing, and she suddenly aggressively starts speaking in Spanish, saying I have no idea what, and then sings out some words (that I didn’t realize were English because my ears were still trying to sort out what she’d just said) and then keeps going with the America song. I had no idea what just happened. Had she just said F-Trump? Had she said Go Biden? No clue what was happening.

LOL, how funny! You had me going! Of course,  nobody, not even a really hardened bigot, would think that merely speaking another language is "aggressive" or possibly consider that anybody would use a public performance such as this to curse out the other party!

HAHA! I almost thought you were serious, but nobody would honestly think something so silly. What's next? Signing during the pledge confused you because she might actually have been signing slurs? *giggles* That's really funny.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

That's wonderful! I haven't seen it at all here in the Midwest. 

I don't know anything about Washington DC. Is there a displaced indigenous people who formerly lived on the land the city is now on? Please excuse my ignorance. 

For example, I live on Gadigal land of the Eora nation. Acknowledgement of land is commonplace here, most events start with it, including in schools, and it's always puzzled me  that this seems more of a Commonwealth thing?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joker2 said:

I was actually hoping through the whole performance that she would switch to Spanish at some point, so I was actually excited when she did and I clapped while sitting here on my couch. 😁 The let’s get loud part didn’t really bother me either but I did think it was weird. 

We loved the Spanish. We have Spanish speakers in my home, who are also Americans. We were excited when J Lo showed up (looking spectacular) and looovvveeddddd the acknowledgment of her heritage. Why wouldn’t she? But we are an acquired taste. Obviously. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I don't know anything about Washington DC. Is there a displaced indigenous people who formerly lived on the land the city is now on? Please excuse my ignorance. 

For example, I live on Gadigal land of the Eora nation. Acknowledgement of land is commonplace here, most events start with it, including in schools, and it's always puzzled me  that this seems more of a Commonwealth thing?  

Yes. The Piscataway and Pawmunky. Several tribes moved through that area tho. Anacosta, Algonquin...

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, bibiche said:

Aggressively speaking Spanish? 😂 She was reciting some of the Pledge of Allegiance. 🤣 I don’t see the problem, except for xénophobes. 

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

LOL, how funny! You had me going! Of course,  nobody, not even a really hardened bigot, would think that merely speaking another language is "aggressive"

I liked the Spanish part (better than the rest of the medley, actually!), but I went back and watched it again and there is definitely a strident tone there. I don't find it objectionable at all; it reminded me, oddly enough, of a street preacher with whom I once worked. Passionate. But there was a definite change of tone and it was a little unexpected and startling. I think that's what @Gargawas referencing.

Immediately concluding that the word "aggressive" is bigoted or xenophobic seems a leap to me and not very charitable to Garga. I've never known her to be anything but kind. 

Maybe there is something I'm missing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1