Menu

Dr. Bronner's soap

Terabith

I like the soap, especially lavender.  I also like how they have stuck to the same packaging all these years (minor tweaks I'm sure).  It may not happen so much with soap, but when packaging is changed, you know the consumer pays for the reinvention, etc.  It just struck me that this one has been the same for so long, and I appreciate the lack of 'bells and whistles' to sell their product.  The product sells the product...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bensmom said:

I have never tried it as toothpaste, but I read you can use it as shampoo and tried that. DO NOT attempt using it on your hair unless you just love to have super dry, straw-like hair, that is so tangled it will be painful to comb😏

I had the same experience when I tried it as shampoo.  I love it as soap, but I think that's really its field of expertise. 

20 hours ago, MercyA said:

Yep. I read all kinds of bottles and packages because, hey, something to read. But his labels are WAY more interesting than most.

I'm sorry to hear he had a rough life. 😞  I appreciate that his company's soaps are vegan and cruelty-free.

Just as an aside, I’ve recently discovered Derma E and they seem to have great products! Vegan and cruelty free. I’m currently only using the Overnight Peel, but I like it!

• Like 2

I haven't read the bottle in a while.  I love their almond soap.  Dh loves peppermint soap and used the peppermint toothpaste for a while.  I tried it as shampoo but, yeah, tangles.  One guy told me he uses it to shampoo his dogs.  He suggested I shampoo with it then use my regular shampoo.  Thanks.  I'll just use my regular shampoo.

I used to put it in a soap dispenser container, but it would clog up and one time it clogged, so I pushed harder, and it shot out into my eye.  Very painful.  Now, I just leave it in the bottle it comes in.  Not as decorative, but I don't care.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

I used to put it in a soap dispenser container, but it would clog up and one time it clogged, so I pushed harder, and it shot out into my eye.  Very painful.  Now, I just leave it in the bottle it comes in.  Not as decorative, but I don't care.

I put 3 capfuls in a soap dispenser with water and a few drops of essential oil.  It works that way.

• Like 1

Oh yes. A friend and I discovered the crazy Dr. Bronner's labels in high school and they entered into the lunch readings. My friends and I used to do (over) dramatic readings of odd things at lunch. For example, any time anyone gave us a Chix Tract, that got a mocking performance and reading. But also, we would do people's passed notes. And passages in textbooks and school readings we thought were absurd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Also, typically, you are supposed to dilute the soap. I pour some soap in a smaller container and add mostly water. It says, 'Dilute, dilute!' on the bottle if you read the instructions.  But I wonder now with these 1 oz. convenient gift bottles, if you are still supposed to dilute. I haven't taken the time to read the label.  And yes, the peppermint is the best!  

• Like 1

I make our hand soap with Dr. Bronner's. I use the unscented, mix maybe 1:5 with water, add a couple of squirts of liquid glycerin (for hand softness), and a few drops of whatever essential oil I want the soap to smell like. Easy and cheap. 

I use Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds for my fine washables. I'd started wondering if I could just use the regular soap when my gallon size of Sal Suds is finally gone in 10-15 years. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 2

We use dr. bronner's soap in foaming soap dispensers and that works great and makes it last a really long time.  I cannot imagine using it as toothpaste.  We have used it on hair like when camping or something but do not recommend for regular use.  

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 9:18 PM, Teaching3bears said:

I put 3 capfuls in a soap dispenser with water and a few drops of essential oil.  It works that way.

This is what I do too! I also put about a 1/4 tsp of grapeseed oil in too so our hands don’t get too dry. I use a foam dispenser for the soap. 

• Like 1