Menu

How long do you wear PJs before washing?

lulalu

How long do you wear PJs before washing?   

110 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you wear PJs before washing?

• Once- we wear clean PJs every night
    • 2 to 4 times
    • 5 to 7 times
    • Other

As empty nesters, dh and I wash one load of clothes a week, so pjs get washed then. But in full disclosure, when we had four kids here and washed clothes every day, my pjs weren’t washed more often than once a week. In fact, maybe less often because I was already overloaded with laundry. 

Dd has four kids and I recently saw her enormous pile of clean laundry ready to be folded. I gasped. She reminded me that it was like that at our house for years.  How quickly I forget.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well, I get night sweats so I have to change every night.  Three of my kids wear new every night and one wears the same ones until he does laundry and I don't know (or want to know) how long he goes between washes.  When he's home, I wash them once a week.

• Like 1

I said 5-7.  (Bottoms only - I sleep in the day's t-shirt or a clean t-shirt if I just showered.)  It might be less if they get dirty or smelly - but cotton ones don't get smelly very fast.  I hang them inside out between uses.

I don't police my kids' pajamas, other than snatching any I find lying around when I'm gathering the laundry load they go in.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

I’m an other!

I used to go with the 2-4 option.  But now, strangely, I’m wearing a new pair each night.  It wasn’t really intentional, and sometimes I’ll wear the same pj pants more than once, but always a clean top.

One kid wants a clean pair every night.

The other kid would wear the same pair all week if I didn’t peel them off every 2 days or so.  

I also wear jeans more than once if not visibly soiled, but no one else does that here.  

• Like 1

Wow, I had no idea that people washed them so often!  I wash them once/week if I'm on the ball.  I figure all I do is sleep in them...  I don't usually sweat at night and I'm clean.  I do the smell test, and as long as they still smell fresh, I figure they're good to go!

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I’m an other!

I used to go with the 2-4 option.  But now, strangely, I’m wearing a new pair each night.  It wasn’t really intentional, and sometimes I’ll wear the same pj pants more than once, but always a clean top.

One kid wants a clean pair every night.

The other kid would wear the same pair all week if I didn’t peel them off every 2 days or so.  

I also wear jeans more than once if not visibly soiled, but no one else does that here.  

I wear jeans about 4 times before washing unless they get dirty. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

I wear my pj pants for 4-6 nights, probably. Clean tee every night, though.

My daughter likes fresh pj's every night after her bath. That wouldn't be happening if she weren't an only child. 😉 

My friend has a house of 10 people! And they all wear clean PJs each night. I have a house of 3 and we wash ours once a week. I just don't feel like adding that much to my laundry pile each day. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SKL said:

I said 5-7.  (Bottoms only - I sleep in the day's t-shirt or a clean t-shirt if I just showered.)  It might be less if they get dirty or smelly - but cotton ones don't get smelly very fast.  I hang them inside out between uses.

I don't police my kids' pajamas, other than snatching any I find lying around when I'm gathering the laundry load they go in.

This is me, too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lulalu said:

My friend has a house of 10 people! And they all wear clean PJs each night. I have a house of 3 and we wash ours once a week. I just don't feel like adding that much to my laundry pile each day. 

I agree! Life is short! 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MercyA said:

I wear my pj pants for 4-6 nights, probably. Clean tee every night, though.

My daughter likes fresh pj's every night after her bath. That wouldn't be happening if she weren't an only child. 😉 

I'm the other way around - I wear my pj top for a week but my bottoms for only half a week. I don't wear underwear. 

Edited by Laura Corin

Y'all who sleep nekkid, I can't do that, because people think they can just barge into my room at any time of the day or night.

And with my luck, the time I'd sleep nekkid would be the time I had to run out of my room to take care of some emergency.

• Like 4

It completely depends.  Sometimes I’ll get up and do chores right away and absolutely not want to wear those clothes again. Other times, maybe I’ll hardly wear them at all and do that multiple times before they go in the wash.

My kids, otoh, might wear multiple pajamas in a short period of time and throw them in with dirty laundry, forcing the need to be washed, or I may have to threaten them in order to get them out of a pair of pajamas after 3 solid days.

I think my youngest 2 are the only ones that wear pj's, the rest of us just wear comfy clothes. Dh and I will wear the same ones for a few days and wash them. My son sleeps in the same clothes he wears out and about as he just wears tshirts and athletic pants so he changes daily. Dd1 has comfy clothes for sleep and changes them every few days. The younger ones it depends on their mood and temperature. Sometimes I have to remind them to change and sometimes they just throw stuff in there as they are trying to clean their room quickly.

Some of my kids shower at night, change into tomorrow's clothes & go to bed in those. I don't judge...

If it were just DH & I in the house,I would consider not sleeping in PJs, but I've had to get up in a flash & run to take care of a kid (or an overflowing drain) too many times to consider wasting precious seconds grabbing a robe.

• Like 2

I really thought PJs were for hanging out in.  Doesn't anyone wear nightgowns anymore?  I wear short ones without sleeves so they don't wind around & drive me batty, but I cannot imagine in a million years wearing actually clothing to bed!  

Pants?  Sleeves?  That sounds so restrictive.  Next thing you know, some of you will tell me you sleep in socks!  (haha...I guess some people are into that, too=)

9 hours ago, SKL said:

Y'all who sleep nekkid, I can't do that, because people think they can just barge into my room at any time of the day or night.

And with my luck, the time I'd sleep nekkid would be the time I had to run out of my room to take care of some emergency.

This very morning the golden wolfadogadoodle let herself out the front door and the hound went with her. (she's figured out how to open the door and we forgot to lock it). I had to run out in my pajamas and hunt them down. 

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

It completely depends.  Sometimes I’ll get up and do chores right away and absolutely not want to wear those clothes again. Other times, maybe I’ll hardly wear them at all and do that multiple times before they go in the wash.

My kids, otoh, might wear multiple pajamas in a short period of time and throw them in with dirty laundry, forcing the need to be washed, or I may have to threaten them in order to get them out of a pair of pajamas after 3 solid days.

Yes, it depends, I have 3 pairs of pajamas (all oversized and super soft and comfy) and also sometimes sleep in DH's t shirts. If I just sleep, and then change first thing in the morning, I'll rewear a few times. But often I'm snacking in them before bed and get butter on thm from my popcorn, or I wear them to cook breakfast and get splatters on them, etc. So then I wash before rewearing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Soror said:

I think my youngest 2 are the only ones that wear pj's, the rest of us just wear comfy clothes. 

That's what we do.  None of us even own pjs.  I had them for the kids when they were very little, but then everyone just moved to comfy clothes. 

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Some of my kids shower at night, change into tomorrow's clothes & go to bed in those. I don't judge...

My dd did this when she was in school.

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I never sleep in clothes.  I don’t know how you people do it.   Robes and pjs are for being decent in front of my kids...and now that I live in town for in front of windows,  ha,  

I'd freeze!  

59 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Our dog sleeps in the bed with us and under the covers, so there’s no way I’m sleeping naked. Gross! 

We wear them several nights before tossing them in the dirty clothes bin unless they get dirty. 

Same here.   Pjs are a must!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I wasn't aware people still wore PJs. How quaint.

Bill  :tongue:

The problem with this is if you're a sound sleeper and the police break down your apartment door because they're busting the meth lab in the apartment above yours, and you hear them breaking down the door but you're frozen because you are a) naked and b) not sure what to do and so you freeze......it's awkward.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, Hilltopmom said:

Night sweats -  I wear clean  ones every night now. But used to only wash them once or twice a week before I entered this lovely phase of life

I had a hysterectomy at age 35. 10 years later, I'm still dealing with night sweats. So, I wash every night. Kids don't know any different because it's all they've ever seen. So everybody gets clean pj's nightly. 

I'm an other because I literally don't know. I have quite a few sets that I wear in rotation and rarely wear the same ones two days in a row.  I hang them up to air after wearing.  When they smell funky, appear soiled or if I get a wild hare I will wash them.  I'm generally washing a couple of sets per week, but could not tell you how many times they've been worn.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:10 PM, Scarlett said:

So you all sleep in your pjs?

My thoughts exactly! I wear a nightshirt or sweats/leggings around the house in the evening. Nada once I hit the bed. So much more comfortable for sleeping. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 9:11 PM, Terabith said:

The problem with this is if you're a sound sleeper and the police break down your apartment door because they're busting the meth lab in the apartment above yours, and you hear them breaking down the door but you're frozen because you are a) naked and b) not sure what to do and so you freeze......it's awkward.  

Are you speaking from experience or just guessing?

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2021 at 8:11 PM, Terabith said:

Time to move.