Menu

Dual degree vs Double major?

HollyDay

Dd is majoring in both computer science and math.  At her new university (had to transfer this semester due to current Covid situation) she will get a BA in math and a BS in computer science.  She also has the choice of getting 2 degrees (double major) or 2 degrees (dual degree).

Pros?

Cons?

She plans on continuing her education and specializing with a masters degree and perhaps even a Ph.D.  Thoughts?     

Thanks!!!

I would sit down with the advisor and look at the options. Often, two degrees means that there is a difference in geneds (BA = more liberal arts requirements, BS = more stem requirements), not in what you take to get the major. See what courses she needs for each option and whether she is excited to take any "extra" courses required. It may be that it doesn't matter - if she is transfering in those "extra" courses for example - in which case she do whatever she wants! But, transferring often means losing some credits as not everything is accepted, in which case, figuring out the shortest path to her degree will save you some tuition $$$.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:48 AM, JanetC said:

I would sit down with the advisor and look at the options. Often, two degrees means that there is a difference in geneds (BA = more liberal arts requirements, BS = more stem requirements), not in what you take to get the major. See what courses she needs for each option and whether she is excited to take any "extra" courses required. It may be that it doesn't matter - if she is transfering in those "extra" courses for example - in which case she do whatever she wants! But, transferring often means losing some credits as not everything is accepted, in which case, figuring out the shortest path to her degree will save you some tuition $$$.

everything was accepted at new university from previous university.  Having said that, not everything counted toward core major.  1 computer science class counted toward an elective and a math also counted toward an elective.  1 government counted as an elective not a core class if that makes sense.  In other words, she can use all the credits, but not necessarily as they were applied previously

I think 2 BS will count as a double degree at some institutions.  It does at my son's because it is out of 2 different "schools".  If there is a large base of core work that is the same for both majors, that is double major.  Very common in BA programs and liberal art focused schools.  If 2 degrees have their own set of requirements, that would be double degree.  This is really common for non-BA music majors. My son is working on a comp sci BS and a music BS.  Where he attends that is dual degree.  If he were doing 2 BA's, it would be a double major.  BS degrees are often more specialized than the BA which is why the requirements may be more stringent.

Anyway - I have dual degree math and comp sci.  I think either way is win-win.  If she is considering grad school, I might consider the most economical path actually all other things being equal.  Sitting down to plot it out with an advisor is a good idea.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Anyway - I have dual degree math and comp sci. 

I can imagine doing that in some alternate universe, lol. As is, my college charged more for people taking computer science, so you weren't allowed to even start on that path unless you had already paid up, which meant I maxed out on 2nd year CS 😞 .