Menu

Getting the vaccine after you’ve had covid

Toocrazy!!

I’ve heard anecdotally that if you've already had covid, the effects of the vaccine are more intense. Does anyone have more info on this? 
Both my parents are in their 80’s and had covid mid November. My dad was in the hospital for 8 days. He’s just now getting back to feeling good. My mom really didn’t have any symptoms past fatigue. 
We thought they would have immunity for awhile and we could hold off on vaccines. But one of their drs is recommending they get it sooner rather than later due to the new strains coming around. 
I just don’t want my dad to go back to feeling bad or have a setback he can’t get over. But he is out and about some again. He still works. 
It sounds like they should get vaccinated, but be prepared to feel bad a couple days? 
Anyone know anything else about this kind of situation? 

The truth is, there's not a lot of data on it. The only people I personally know who have had Covid and then the vaccine are younger and they didn't react any more strongly than I'm hearing everyone else is. I would be cautious about the Pfizer vaccine (and probably avoid it), as there has been some concern about higher than normal bad reactions and deaths in the elderly. I think you're right to be concerned.

Depending on their general state of health I might err on the side of caution until we know about Norway, if they were reasonably well able to isolate and stay safe. Hopefully it’s coincidental but would be nice to be sure.  Immunity is supposedly good for five months at least from a recent study.  We will have a much clearer picture in a little while.  

It makes sense that people would have a more intense reaction if they had the virus recently, but it wouldn’t be a dangerous reaction. Their bodies will respond faster and develop immunity faster. They’re also more likely to have a fever and feel like they have a flu for 36 hours. But at past 60 days they may not have a more intense response at all. 

Right before dh got his, he heard that he should wait 90 days from infection to get the shot.  I hadn’t seen that, and I didn’t go digging because, IIRC, it was THAT morning. But he said Dr. Fauci had said it.

He went and got it anyway, just a few weeks past infection. I posted in another thread that he seemed to have a relatively rough go after the shot, but that he’s also very dramatic about physical ailments, so I don’t really know where to put him on the spectrum. He definitely was nowhere near what he dealt with when he was ill, and he had a relatively mild case.  He’s a basically healthy 43yo male though. 

• Like 1

DH works in healthcare and anecdotally, people in his office  who have had covid react worst to the first shot while people who haven’t had covid are having a harder time with the second dose. Nobody he knows has had a severe reaction to either, but their opinion on which dose is worse seems to correspond to whether they’ve had covid already.

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Can someone explain the logic behind getting a Covid vax when you still have antibodies from actual Covid?

Has there been any news yet on how long the vax remains effective?

Most people who get Covid naturally are not making enough antibodies and memory cells. The vaccines cause the immune system to make magnitudes more antibodies and memory cells. The antibodies break down after a number of months, which is normal, but the memory cells will move into the bone marrow where they will remain long-term ready to make antibodies if an individual is exposed to the virus again.

The vaccines are looking effective so far.

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Depending on their general state of health I might err on the side of caution until we know about Norway, if they were reasonably well able to isolate and stay safe. Hopefully it’s coincidental but would be nice to be sure.  Immunity is supposedly good for five months at least from a recent study.  We will have a much clearer picture in a little while.  

My 94 year old FIL is chomping at the bit to get his.  He is very frail and has had several major health events in recent years and is currently dealing with prostate cancer.  I just don't have a good feeling about rushing into a vaccine.  He and my MIL (also 94) are in their own home and me, DH, and my SIL are caring for them.  He thinks he will get to go out and do whatever again.  Well...not if me, DH, and SIL aren't vaccinated as well since we are around them so much.  Such a hard situation to be in.

I will keep an eye out for more information on this.  Our state is running out of vaccines already with people maybe not getting their 2nd doses.

• Sad 1

So what about those who were asymptomatic, but wondering if they had 'something'.  Should they get the anti-body test to see if they had covid, or wait on getting the vac?

Looking back, I had some weird stuff over Christmas that lasted over a few weeks, but I never felt 'sick'.  But I began to wonder when I woke one morning with a fever rash (I sometimes get them after having a fever.)  I tend to run on the cool side and I would say around this time I felt like I had been having hot flashes 2-3 times a day, not daily, and I am postmenopausal. So I wondered what that was about. It didn't occur to take my temp then. My mind was a little fuzzy as well, having a hard time recalling a few words. I was beginning to think maybe it was age related.  

Usually I  can tell when I am coming down with something.  My legs tire when walking uphill and I crave hot tea. But I had skied 2 days before the fever rash and was just fine, actually better than fine for my first time out this year.  I wasn't tired, but for a few days following, I did take a few catnaps, again, only something I do when I am sick.  There was 1 time when the taste of PB was off, but not the taste of other things.  About a week later, I guzzled hot tea for a day, and my nose was stuffed the next, no fever and felt a little run down.  But my appetite was ok. (Yes, by this time, I was staying home).   So now I am wondering if it was a mild covid, or just a cold that didn't amount to one?    Should I ask for an antibody test before I get the vac?  It all seems so odd to have to explain to a doctor, like it wasn't enough to really be anything...

4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

My 94 year old FIL is chomping at the bit to get his.  He is very frail and has had several major health events in recent years and is currently dealing with prostate cancer.  I just don't have a good feeling about rushing into a vaccine.  He and my MIL (also 94) are in their own home and me, DH, and my SIL are caring for them.  He thinks he will get to go out and do whatever again.  Well...not if me, DH, and SIL aren't vaccinated as well since we are around them so much.  Such a hard situation to be in.

I will keep an eye out for more information on this.  Our state is running out of vaccines already with people maybe not getting their 2nd doses.

Given what you are saying, he's at great risk if he gets Covid, and with the newer more contagious strains having all of you caring for him, if you go out of your house at all, seems riskier than the vaccine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Given what you are saying, he's at great risk if he gets Covid, and with the newer more contagious strains having all of you caring for him, if you go out of your house at all, seems riskier than the vaccine. 

Yes, I know that too!! Not an issue at the moment because our county just suspended all appts for the vaccine.

1 minute ago, ***** said:

So what about those who were asymptomatic, but wondering if they had 'something'.  Should they get the anti-body test to see if they had covid, or wait on getting the vac?

Looking back, I had some weird stuff over Christmas that lasted over a few weeks, but I never felt 'sick'.  But I began to wonder when I woke one morning with a fever rash (I sometimes get them after having a fever.)  I tend to run on the cool side and I would say around this time I felt like I had been having hot flashes 2-3 times a day, not daily, and I am postmenopausal. So I wondered what that was about. It didn't occur to take my temp then. My mind was a little fuzzy as well, having a hard time recalling a few words. I was beginning to think maybe it was age related.  

Usually I  can tell when I am coming down with something.  My legs tire when walking uphill and I crave hot tea. But I had skied 2 days before the fever rash and was just fine, actually better than fine for my first time out this year.  I wasn't tired, but for a few days following, I did take a few catnaps, again, only something I do when I am sick.  There was 1 time when the taste of PB was off, but not the taste of other things.  About a week later, I guzzled hot tea for a day, and my nose was stuffed the next, no fever and felt a little run down.  But my appetite was ok. (Yes, by this time, I was staying home).   So now I am wondering if it was a mild covid, or just a cold that didn't amount to one?    Should I ask for an antibody test before I get the vac?  It all seems so odd to have to explain to a doctor, like it wasn't enough to really be anything...

Are you likely to be offered the vaccine within 90 days? If so, I'd get antibody testing. Not because I'd worry about a bad reaction, but because if you just had the infection you might have antibodies that fight off the vaccine - no idea if that can happen with this vaccine, but it happens with maternal antibodies and vaccines in puppies.....so unless I could get a definitive answer on that from an immunologist who would know, I'd want to space things out. 

But if you are not in a high risk group, it may not matter as it may be months before you can get a vaccine anyway. 

7 hours ago, SKL said:

Can someone explain the logic behind getting a Covid vax when you still have antibodies from actual Covid?

Has there been any news yet on how long the vax remains effective?

My daughter just recovered from a milder case of covid, luckily we live in another state and was not around her.  I had asked if she will get the vaccine, since some have gotten covid a 2nd time. IDK where she gets her facts from, but she has been told she has immunity for 8 months. I have cautioned her to continue to wear mask, which she has no problem with.  When she went back to work after 10 day quarantine, no one expected her to get another covid test. She was jabbed pretty hard on her original test, so I am sure not volunteering for a 2nd one. 

I am surprised a test was not required. I also don't like the idea that people are hearing numbers, like 'immunity for 8 months', when there are no hard and fast rules on sicknesses, especially this one.  I mentioned other strains of the flu, and she played that down as well.  Maybe she is tired of all this, but if this is the info she is getting from the doctors, I guess  she figures who is she to argue?  The 'facts' that are being shared are what is troublesome, since they are all different...

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Are you likely to be offered the vaccine within 90 days?

I work part-time for a school district that is up for getting vaccinations this week.  I am not in the high risk category, just choosing to work from home. So I am thinking I may be able to piggyback and go in for a vaccination.  I am cautious about any vaccination, but when my husband is able, he will get his.  So, this is on my mind, wondering if/when to get one...

Anecdotally, my sister got the vaccine after having COVID in November. She felt sick--fatigue, aches, low grade fever--but just for 24 hours. She said 2 co-worker friends who had COVID at the same time as her also had more reaction than her colleagues who haven't had COVID. 

My BIL felt pretty rough too, though, and to his knowledge he hasn't had COVID. 

Edited by sbgrace