Menu

A hilarious twist

I've mentioned in the past that we had kind of had flack with people questioning whether ds was on the spectrum and it took us a couple years to get him moved from ADHD to ASD2 (which fits) and get the school on board as having ASD for his disabling condition in his IEP. So someone saw him this week who had worked with him years ago, and at the time (younger in their clinical experience obviously), they had been in the it's not autism camp. Now their tune has TOTALLY CHANGED! 

Yup the person was like you can't be in a room with him FIVE MINUTES without it being glaringly obvious he's on the spectrum. 

They said what threw them before was the amount of language, that he had so much language and high vocabulary you assumed things were fine. And she was shocked because his vocabulary had been so advanced and now isn't. I said but look what changed. When he was 5, he was listening to college lectures and scripting. He was memorizing and repeating them, because he could. Then we did extensive language work and *raised the bar* on his comprehension, so that he won't listen to stuff he doesn't comprehend. So instead of memorizing college work, he's laughing his way through a lexile 730-1030 book. 

She also said just the way he thinks is SO clearly spectrum and that she enjoyed talking with him. :biggrin:

So I guess let's see what happens with the ps psych, hahaha. Our ETR is due to be renewed this spring, and they said the psych will want to see him in person. Think the psych can figure it out in 5 minutes like the SLP? LOL

• Like 5