Menu

Mask recommendations mega thread!

MercyA

I'm trying to collect all of our best mask recommendation threads here. So far, I have:

Any other readily available masks I could be looking at?

Please help - I don't have time to scan the big thread

Ministry of Supply mask review!

If I am missing any, please add them below. Also, please post your current favorite masks again, if you are so inclined! 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the cloth Old Navy ones are the most comfortable for me to wear all day and the accordion style folds make them fit my big face and still cover it all the way when speaking loudly (I’m a teacher- apparently I open my mouth wide all the time when projecting my voice to the back of the room). I like the adjustable ear cords.

But my Happy Masks make me feel more protected.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I think the cloth Old Navy ones are the most comfortable for me to wear all day and the accordion style folds make them fit my big face and still cover it all the when speaking loudly (I’m a teacher). I like the adjustable ear cords.

But my Happy Masks make me feel more protected.

Do you get headaches from wearing masks for such a long time?  I wore a mask basically all last weekend and had terrible headaches afterward.  I think it's actually jaw pain - I've had TMJ issues in the past.

Sock Fancy makes my favorite for most of the family who just does outside stuff or occasional quick shopping trips; they're 3 layers (cotton with a poly-fiber inner layer), filter pocket, and they fit well and have really good coverage: https://sockfancy.com/products/sock-fancy-mask. My husband wears a Happy Mask over a surgical mask when he's in his classroom. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Why not the other way around - surgical over happy mask? 

I've read that the surgical mask should go first to act as a filter and also to keep the reusable mask cleaner. 

ETA: although I also see people doing it the other way around, so I dunno. That's the way he prefers it.

Edited by kokotg

20 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

“...the fact that some people refuse to wear masks makes it even more imperative that we distribute higher-grade masks to those willing to wear them.”

At this point in the game, there is no excuse for not issuing N95s to every person in the United States.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DoraBora said:

Do you get headaches from wearing masks for such a long time?  I wore a mask basically all last weekend and had terrible headaches afterward.  I think it's actually jaw pain - I've had TMJ issues in the past.

I have jaw pain/headache if my mask feels too close to my mouth or weighs on my nose, bending it partly closed. I end up breathing through my mouth and pushing the mask out with my jaw. If I use a shaped mask that doesn’t touch my mouth or bend my nose, I am comfortable breathing through my nose, and I don’t do the funny jaw pushing. It took me a while to figure out the connection. My Happy Mask is the best fit I’ve found. I had an n-95 years ago for allergies that got ruined. It would slide when my face got moist from my breath, and it triggered the jaw thing too. The breathable layers of the Happy Mask help as well as the shape. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lynn said:

We just use the free masks given out in stores.  No problems.

I don’t understand- so you don’t have any of your own masks? You have to walk into a store unmasked and go ask for one every time you go somewhere? No one in your family works outside of the house or ever goes anywhere you need a mask except a store?

Here, they do have them free at stores but you have to stop at customer service to get one, no one is handing them out at the door and they’ve been required in NY the whole time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navymon said:

We have loved the Vogmasks from the beginning. 

My dd's family and in-laws, my ds and his family and dh and I all use them.

Several of us wear them 8+ hrs. per day with no complaints.

If anyone orders these, they need to make sure to get the non-valved masks. A note from the Vogmask site: 

Currently, masks that will efficiently filter inflow and outflow of microscopic particles provide the most risk reduction. For this reason, non-valved masks are recommended when in proximity of other people, in order to protect the mask wearer AND others in the environment. 

VALVED VOGMASKS help protect the mask wearer only from inhalation of microscopic particles and feature two filter media sewn into the middle layers of the mask and 1 or 2 exhalation valves. Please note that the exhale of the mask wearer exits partially through the exhale valve unfiltered. 

Edited by MercyA

53 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I don’t understand- so you don’t have any of your own masks? You have to walk into a store unmasked and go ask for one every time you go somewhere? No one in your family works outside of the house or ever goes anywhere you need a mask except a store?

I assumed she meant they wash and reuse the free ones they've received?

Okay, I'm ordering a Vog Mask.  I love my Happy Mask, but it does not keep my glasses from fogging up.  I really want something that is a) protective, b) doesn't make my glasses fog up and c) this is the tricky one - I don't really want to deal with removable filters.  I know I am unlikely to remember to change them, and stuffing filters into a mask sounds an awful lot like trying to get those things back into sports bras after doing laundry.  I HATE doing it.  

Any other suggestions?