Menu

Errors with verbs

What age do you expect children to no longer make errors while speaking with verbs? Example- saying goed, or felled or just using the wrong verb altogether. 

Also, understanding when to say on or in correctly in a sentence. 

Not asking about my son, asking about another child we spent the day with that surprised me with a lot of errors. I know the family does not do much, if any reading, and they do a lot of television time. But this seemed to really stick out to me. 

My kids are exposed to A LOT of language.

My 5 year old, who has a huge vocabulary and typically speaks in long, sophisticated sentences, still makes a surprising number of verb errors. Not goed or felled anymore, but slightly less common ones like costed or slided.

My 7 year old, who is very verbal and articulate, still occasionally surprises me with a stinked, forbidded, shedded, etc.

I can't remember, though, the last time my 9 year old made a noticeable verb error. In fact, just recently when he came to me to narrate what he had read in literature, he first asked what "foretell" means, and then easily converted it to "foretold" in his narration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I very much expect 5-8ish year olds to occasionally during a day make an error or several. 

I started counting after I noticed about 5 errors. So in an 8 hour time together I counted 16 errors. So it probably was close to 20 errors. 

I don't want to say the age yet, as it might sway some people's response, but child is over age I would expect to hear more than one or two in a full day. 

I taught before having my son, but at private schools and international schools. So my experience has been with families that are well educated and work with their kids. So honestly I can say I didn't see this when I taught. But I think I may have a skewed viewpoint from average families. 

2 hours ago, EKS said:

When my son was 7 he was evaluated by an SLP and I think she said something like age 7 or 8.  

That would be my guess. Beyond that I would guess only hearing a few mistakes here and there. 

Thanks for sharing. Child is over 8. 

Follow up question- how does one go about mentioning that this may need to be evaluated or worked on? Without causing offense? Is there a way? 

Child is homeschooled. Mom is overwhelmed and doesn't enjoy schooling. They are only able to get to the bare minimum with school- math, reading, and language arts. But all the kids are a year or two behind in levels. 

22 hours ago, lulalu said:

What age do you expect children to no longer make errors while speaking with verbs? Example- saying goed, or felled or just using the wrong verb altogether. 

Also, understanding when to say on or in correctly in a sentence. 

Not asking about my son, asking about another child we spent the day with that surprised me with a lot of errors. I know the family does not do much, if any reading, and they do a lot of television time. But this seemed to really stick out to me. 

My 8 year old still says goed.