Menu

2021-2022 10th grade planning thread

On 2/18/2021 at 6:39 PM, alisoncooks said:

Well, I thought I had next year all mapped out, but now I'm completely rethinking my plans, lol. 😂 

Fairly solid on these: Teaching Textbooks Geometry, ULAT for Spanish, Friendly Biology (with Miller Levine text as supplement)

Original Plan:  Dave Raymond American History, LLATL American, EiW10

Potential changes: Sharon Watson Characters in Crisis, Clearwater Press Byline - writing, maybe a lighter modern American history building off Byline (which claims it can be a 0.5 history credit with some extra reading)??? 

I like #2 but #1 is more affordable. Also, I want all my time periods to line up nicely...DD has expressed interest in Dave Raymond American (early) but also Byline (1930s/modern). And I wanted to keep lit American (to go with history), but the more I look, the more I think Sharon Watson will be more enjoyable/complete.

So....any combination of the above  (or not!) might be the plan.

Final plan in place (below) -- with a frenzied last minute history change that I spent the last two days scheduling!

Unchanged: TT Geometry and Friendly Biology (with supplements)

Settled on: Sharon Watson Lit, EiW10 w/ scoring

Changes: ASL university (ASL 1),  U.S. History using the "A Little History of..." book (with its accompanying "Exploration Handbook") plus Crash Course (with accompanying note-taking handouts) plus documentaries, movies, and historical fiction. Fairly lite but I think it'll be fun. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

This combination of (balancing of?) Bennett & Zinn looks wonderful.  I'd not come across the Bennett book and am glad you shared what you're doing.

Yes! That is what I'm striving for. Not quite a balance but a very solid difference of point of views. The Great Course lectures are more middle of the road vs Bennett/Zinn.

ETA: There are three Bennett books in the series or I think you can get a condensed 1 volume. I'm going to see how fast she gets through all 3 volumes as dd#1 took 2 years to do this plan & dd#2 (a slower reader but less of a procrastinator) took 1.25 years to do it. Dd#3 is a good writer & a faster reader than dd#2.

Re: detective fiction

I received a lot of input in my thread on this & decided to do the whole year on it. I decided to touch on a bunch of subgenres but will be modifying as we go based on dd's input as this whole thing was her idea. :) I have way more material than we can get through so I'll be whittling it down and choosing as we go.

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/709874-english-detective-themed-lit/

Edited by RootAnn
Added bennett book info; 2nd edit to add link to my detective fiction thread
  • Like 3