Menu

Fighting Cats

Reefgazer

I have a neutered adult male cat that I have had for 4 years; he's a sweet and adorable cat.  I also began fostering a spayed female cat a few months ago; she is also sweet and adorable and loves humans.  But cats...not so much, apparently.  We tried to do the slow introductions behind a door, with one in a crate, etc...  It was mess - female foster cat hissed, growled and screamed at my male when he approached with a submissive posture.  So he slunk away.  But like a bad blind date, he can't seem to take no for an answer and keeps approaching her, she commences hissing/spitting/growling, then he chases her and it's WWIII.  She is terrified of him, even though he is not aggressive; she won't come out from hiding if he is anywhere nearby and when she does come out, she looks around furtively for him until she thinks the coast is clear and runs to the laundry room to be fed.  She had to leave the house and stay elsewhere for a month or so, so when we re-introduced them we just threw them together because the slow intro was a disaster.  Same results.  Now there is just bad blood between them and they are in a vicious cycle of approach - hiss/growl/scream - chase.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  How do I re-set their relationship?  I would really like to adopt her, but I don't think the situation as it stands is good for either cat, and especially not for her.

10 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Have you tried the Feliway plug-in diffuser? My youngest introduced a second kitten to his older cat and Feliway helped stop the fighting. Now they even cuddle. Amazing stuff.

Hadn’t heard of this, either, but it’s worth a try.

• Like 1