Menu

Grammer curriculum

Can anyone suggest a program that will help me get my son up to 9th grade level with grammar? I unschooled in the past and am trying to catch him up to 9th grade to either enter high school or use a comprehensive homeschool Curriculum.  He is a strong reader and speller however his grammar and writing skills need work. I would like to find something akin to the Learn Math Fast program but for English grammar.  Thank you to everyone that has helped me with all of my questions and issues.  I wish I could jump back to 1st grade. I would have done things so differently! 

Thank you again.

Heather

I would REALLY like to start him in 9th grade this fall. That is my goal. 

Thank you so much for your help. 

edit* I still can't manage to get my replies under the intended response. I thought it was the quote option but clearly I am doing something wrong. My apologies. 

Edited by ConcreteBrunette

My son successfully used Analytical Grammar in 1 year in 8th grade (it's supposed to be spaced out over 3 years with lots of breaks) and did just fine. But he was highly motivated to get it done and not do grammar at all anymore. And it was a *lot* of grammar. But in my opinion it can't be beat for teaching grammar thoroughly and efficiently.

I would look into doing Analytical Grammar in high school and not worry about “catching up”. My high schoolers are doing it now with next to no grammar background and it’s been fine.

Or, are you planning to send him to school for 9th? You could try to squeeze in Analytical Grammar beforehand or maybe Jr. Analytical Grammar. If he’s going to school I’d doubt that he’d be much behind his peers in grammar regardless of what you do. From what I understand, grammar isn’t covered in school much these days. 

7 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I would look into doing Analytical Grammar in high school and not worry about “catching up”. My high schoolers are doing it now with next to no grammar background and it’s been fine.

Or, are you planning to send him to school for 9th? You could try to squeeze in Analytical Grammar beforehand or maybe Jr. Analytical Grammar. If he’s going to school I’d doubt that he’d be much behind his peers in grammar regardless of what you do. From what I understand, grammar isn’t covered in school much these days. 

How can they not teach grammar in school? How will they manage in college if they don't have basic grammar? I have heard this a few times now and am shocked every time. Thank you for the help. I have never heard of Analytical Grammar and will check it out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ConcreteBrunette said:

How can they not teach grammar in school? How will they manage in college if they don't have basic grammar? I have heard this a few times now and am shocked every time. Thank you for the help. I have never heard of Analytical Grammar and will check it out. 

They just don’t. At all. My two older girls attended our ‘very good’ public school for high school (after homeschooling up to that point), and their school espoused the ubiquitous idea that grammar is best caught, not taught. It would occasionally be addressed in a worksheet, but no systematic study was undertaken. 

I agree that AG is what you want. I did it in one year with my DD3, now 16, when she was in 7th or 8th grade (??). She just scored a 36 on the ACT English section, in part because of her strong background with formal grammar.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 7:37 PM, ConcreteBrunette said:

Most public schools assume it's absorbed by osmosis. But I would argue that facebook and twitter present evidence otherwise 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

+1 for Analytical Grammar.

Also, I like Jensen's Grammar and/or Jensen's Writing.  You can look at samples on Rainbow Resource.

I've also used Rod & Staff year 5 or 6 as a foundation before entering our public high school English class.  Rod & Staff has a remedial grammar course, as well.  Milestone Books has samples online.

• Like 1