Menu

Y’all! PBS has a new All Creatures Great and Small!

fairfarmhand

24 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

So guys...I cried. Really. Won't give spoilers but I don't know if its related to how sweet the show is or my own farm trauma.

My dd15 said "So let's watch the next one."

She is unfamiliar with the concept that you have to wait for shows to release. No bingeing. Sigh. So sad.

When I look, it appears that PBS Passport users can see the whole season already. I don't have PBS Passport, but the icons show up on the thumbnails for the full episodes that haven't aired here yet.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

So guys...I cried. Really. Won't give spoilers but I don't know if its related to how sweet the show is or my own farm trauma.

She is unfamiliar with the concept that you have to wait for shows to release. No bingeing. Sigh. So sad.

When dudeling was 11, I decided it was time to read HP. - and we had to read each book before he could watch the corresponding movie.

He will have no memories of waiting for conventional releases of either the books or the movies.

He does wait for anime, or games, etc.  (or 2ds is impatiently waiting for the release of what he wants to buy as his next graphics card, supposedly in February - if he could even get it then.  dudeling is willing to wait, as 2ds's existing graphics card is better than the one I was planning on buying him.)

• Like 1

I watched the second half last weekend; I saw the trailer on GoodReads. 

It was so sweet. I agree it was balm for our troubled times. I am not a big series watcher but I plan to watch this one! 

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

That one scene was pretty suspenseful, I can only imagine keeping it after having your own calving experiences!

I thought the show was lovely. I was missing Masterpiece Theater and am glad there’s something new and charming. 

I’m missing my cow that died last summer. She looked just like the one on the show. So I bawled.

spoiler:

And that was a real brand new calf. That’s exactly what they look like. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, kbutton said:

When I look, it appears that PBS Passport users can see the whole season already. I don't have PBS Passport, but the icons show up on the thumbnails for the full episodes that haven't aired here yet.

Yes, I’ve been watching one per night this week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, so before I put this on tonight, is it sad and heartbreaking, or just suspenseful? I need to know if I need to brace myself. 

So far it’s more suspenseful. Haven’t seen anything sad and heartbreaking. My kids felt happy after watching it.

my tears are related to the fact that my favorite ever jersey cow died last summer. So I got baggage. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Anyone who's ever dealt with livestock would know that those shoes were completely inappropriate footwear for the barn. 

Well, to be fair, he was dressed to impress for a job interview.  But, boy did he ever do a great job cleaning the shoes up later! And I wondered why on earth he’d put his suit coat on over his muddied shirt when he got back in the car?!

But other than that, I have loved the first two episodes.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Anyone who's ever dealt with livestock would know that those shoes were completely inappropriate footwear for the barn. 

Well, he was dressed for a nice interview in the house, not a barn visit. He was surprised by that. 

8 hours ago, Garga said:

Well, to be fair, he was dressed to impress for a job interview.  But, boy did he ever do a great job cleaning the shoes up later! And I wondered why on earth he’d put his suit coat on over his muddied shirt when he got back in the car?!

But other than that, I have loved the first two episodes.

maybe he was cold, lol?

I watched episode 1 last night and it was wonderful. I surprised myself and started crying at the happy ending in the barn. When it was over and they showed the trailer for the second episode I exclaimed, "Oh! Yes, the pekingese!" and only then did DH understand what I'd been trying to tell him, that I grew up reading the books!

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I watched episode 1 last night and it was wonderful. I surprised myself and started crying at the happy ending in the barn. When it was over and they showed the trailer for the second episode I exclaimed, "Oh! Yes, the pekingese!" and only then did DH understand what I'd been trying to tell him, that I grew up reading the books!

Oh my kids found mrs pumphrey and tricky woo hilarious. 

and that cow at the end of episode one is where I started bawling. She looked just like my cow who died last summer so I just couldn’t stand itz

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Oh my kids found mrs pumphrey and tricky woo hilarious. 

and that cow at the end of episode one is where I started bawling. She looked just like my cow who died last summer so I just couldn’t stand itz

I have never had a cow, and just knowing about YOUR cow had me crying! Poor DH looked over in shock and asked if I was okay, lol. 

• Like 1

Okay, just pulled it up to watch and it said we had to be members of PBS Passport to watch episode 3.  Was anyone else able to watch episode 3 without a membership?

ETA:  Oops!  Never mind.  It's not on until 8:00.  

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 2:58 PM, fairfarmhand said:

My kids had the exact same reaction. We laughed and told them every show used to be this way. They were flabbergasted.

My family has been enjoying this so much.  Thanks for the recommendation!

All us Harry Potter fans gasped out loud and yelled, “It’s Neville Longbottom!!” in unison, which scared my husband half off the sofa. LOL

And no lie, I’m glad we already settled on Cookie for our new pup or we would have to have named her TrickyWoo. LOL

• Like 3

Episode 3–we still love it. All 5 of us sit and watch this show together, loving it.

loved the single lane bridge. It looks a lot like a bridge at a state park we visit in TN. So much of the landscape reminds us of middle TN. 

poor Jim, I’d never considered before how hard it must be to start out in veterinary work and lose animals. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We binge watched it on Amazon this week. Everyone loved it but we're big Herriot fans here. My parents sat at Alf Wight's table at a dinner once and they said he was a lovely man.

I'm from Yorkshire originally and it was filmed close to where my grandmother lived. I spent many a childhood summer up in the Dales. It really made me miss my parents and curse blasted Covid for us not being able to visit. Can't wait for the second season!!!

• Like 3