Menu

Mountains/Beach

DawnM

Beach/Mountains  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer to live on/near? Check all that apply.

• Beach
    • Lake
    • Anywhere with water (lake or ocean)
    • neither appeals to me
    • Other

Are you more of a mountains or a beach person?  Or both?  Or neither?   Or "it depends"

I go back and forth.   I really love the idea of living in the mountains near/on a lake, but the beach is so calming.   However, I love being on a boat, so a lake sounds more condusive to that.

I voted lake. I like the beach but not necessarily the ocean. (I like to look at it, not swim in it.) I'm also not a fan of sand.

I love the mountains, but I'm prone to vertigo and motion sickness. Mountain roads are not my friend. 

A big water lake is the way to go for me. Good beaches, big thoroughfares for boat traffic, and small/calm coves for kayaking and such. 

Edited by alisoncooks

I'd rather live in the mountains and visit the beach mostly because beaches tend to get crowded and trafficy.  When I go to the beach, I go off-season.  I actually live in the middle and can do a day trip to either if I choose.  I grew up in the hills (stranger to blue water) and find the woods calming. Kayaking on a calm lake is one of my favorite activities.  

• Like 1

Well, I live in the mountains amidst a ton of lakes and rivers, so... lol.  
We would have to drive probably at least 30 minutes to use a gas motored boat, but we have 5 lakes within our own development on which to use man powered boats.

I grew up in a lake community (big lake, big boats allowed.)

I do love the ocean, but this is better.

I love the mountains. Green woods, lots of shade, coolness--all are calming to me. 

I don't like the beach much at all. Once every few years it's okay to have an opportunity to walk on the beach for an hour or two. Beyond that . . no. There's way too much sensory stuff that annoys me. Too hot much of the year, too sandy and salty all the time (both are totally icky on the skin), and I find the noise of waves irritating.

I've realized I like the luxury of living close enough to an airport that I can be where I want to be (beach, cruise, mountains, etc.) without much effort. I don't like mosquitoes, so being on a lake is no interest. Wouldn't want to be on a beach permanently, because I don't want to deal with hurricanes. So airport it is.

Oh, you're saying mountains are the opposite of beach? We sort of live in baby mountains, a rolling hills area. I like that. I'm SO not into flat, yuck, yuck. I like variety. But the airport still solves that.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

but I need GREEN.  Desert mountains are not for me. 

You know, I've wondered. We visited AZ/NV and people said the changing seasons are what they missed. It was always just brown and blue. This was out by Vegas. But the air was GREAT for the hair, mercy. Felt like a million bucks and really fresh food! So as long as I can go and then come back to where it's great, fine. :biggrin:

• Like 1

1. What about trees? I'd add them into the mix. I love trees and green scenery. 

2. Having access to use the water/mountain  is just as important, probably more so, than just being near. Some locations are better then others for having access to using water and/or mountains in many different ways.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

We live in the mountains, with ponds and lakes all around us. 

The Lakes Region of NH is only an hour away, and the ocean is 2-3 hours. 

NH is sort of the best of all worlds?

Same for NC.  I can be in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains in a little over an hour, or I can be at the beach in about 3.5 hours. There are multiple large lakes within an hour or two. There are things I don't like about where I live, but I do love that it's an easy, quick drive to varied scenery.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You know, I've wondered. We visited AZ/NV and people said the changing seasons are what they missed. It was always just brown and blue. This was out by Vegas. But the air was GREAT for the hair, mercy. Felt like a million bucks and really fresh food! So as long as I can go and then come back to where it's great, fine. :biggrin:

I have always lived in Louisiana and Texas, so I don't know much about changing seasons.  But, my favorite place in the world is Austria--and there is no ocean there.  But, it is the greenest place I have ever seen (Maybe I would like OZ.)  I find much of the feeling of watching the weather change across the mountains the same as watching the tide roll in.  

• Like 1

Mountains by a river, creek, or lake. I find the beach in general boring.  But there are vast differences between beach areas in the US.  Beaches in northern California and Oregon are vastly different from the beaches I've encountered in New Jersey and Delaware. I love a more "rugged" beach, such as the Big Sur or Pescadero areas of CA, or the beaches of Oregon which never seemed crowded.  Ocean City NJ and other beaches like that, which in summer are crowded with people and their big umbrellas crammed together, are not my idea of a good beach. 

• Like 3

My first reaction is beach, but not tropical or hot beaches.  The salty sea air always makes my sinuses feel so much better.  I like the beaches in the PNW where it is cool, the ocean is really too cold to swim in except maybe on a very hot day.  I like that there are evergreens and forests nearby to play in and then beaches to walk on.  I do not like crowded touristy towns at the beach.

I also like mountains that have lots of trees, rivers, waterfalls, hiking trails, etc. 

• Like 3

For me the more important thing would be to have trees.

A lake in the woods on or near the mountains would be awesome.  Reminds me of our vacation in Banff....

My least favorite of these kinds of places would be "beach."  But if I had to choose between beach and inner city etc., well, beach sounds pretty good.

(PS - mountain is not an option in your poll.)

• Like 3

I clicked other as the choices were only about water.   I currently have a pleasant mt. view.  (I don't live *in* the mts.)  I would enjoy adding a high bank saltwater  (eh, west facing Lk. Washington bluff might be OK. - depending upon location) to that view - but I like my location too much to push it

even the lakes around here can flood, let alone creeks/rivers/etc.  so no.  and salt water storms you have to think hard about location to be safe.

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

We live in a valley, surrounded by the mountains.  I love the mountains.  I feel cozy.  

I love to visit the beach.  I love swimming in the beach.  I'm not sure I'd want to live there, though, because of expenses and hurricanes.  

so you live either on the east coast or the south.  the west coast doesn't have hurricanes.

Beach. Saltwater is in my DNA and I live about as far from it now as I ever have in my life (1.5 hour drive) and that is really bordering on too far for me. Nothing else is so restorative to my soul the way the waves are on the shore. I'm talking "got up at dark-thirty, to sit in 40*/wind chill in the 30s F on a pier over the water while my DH fished for 4 hours" --- four times over Christmas break. I sat, bundled in many layers, blanket, hood, just soaking up sunshine and the sound and smell of the waves/salt air. Absolute bliss. 

*and, anyone who knows me knows, I do not do cold. At all. We keep our heat in the house at 73-74 F in the winter. And I still wear long sleeves, long pants, warm socks, and cuddle under a blanket/quilt on the couch. And got an electric fireplace to further warm the living room. And a heated blanket for my side of the bed. I don't do cold.  But to sit next to the waves.....I'll allow it. 

• Like 2

I'm with the beach is boring (and maybe even slightly annoying) folks.  And yeah, not a fan of sand on everything and I don't like to swim in saltwater or deal with waves.  The whole rest of my family loves the beach so when we go I bring a book and sit under an umbrella and ignore the hordes.  When the kids were little, dh was in charge of sand castles and bringing them to the water.  

If I'm going to enjoy any part of being at the ocean, it would be something like a cliff walk or exploring tidal pools, or walking along the beach in the evening when all the people are gone and looking for shells or sea glass or other cool things.  Those I did with the kids.  But sitting on the beach in the heat of the day surrounded by a ton of other people?  Not a fan.

Love the mountains/lake.  I like to hike and canoe or kayak.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

We live in a valley, surrounded by the mountains.  I love the mountains.  I feel cozy.  

I love to visit the beach.  I love swimming in the beach.  I'm not sure I'd want to live there, though, because of expenses and hurricanes.  

I live in Roanoke, Virginia.  East coast.  

52 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Mountains make me twitchy, like I’m trapped.  

Thank you! People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say this. 

I'm completely fine visiting the mountains, but when we lived in Tennessee one year, I didn't like that feeling of being surrounded at all. Like the most common areas I would drive in/to, the mountains were all around me and yep, it made me twitchy. 

Living in a small town also made me twitchy, but for different reasons 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I prefer the live close enough to the beach to go often. Dh and I lived a few years in CA and 10 years in FL and could get to the beach in about 20 minutes. I don’t like swimming there but just love spending time walking and watching. I enjoy vacationing in the mountains but don’t care to live there full time.

I voted beach because I’m not a lake person. This due to an unfortunate encounter with leeches - aaaack! - as a teen camper.  But I love mountains. And collected mountain ranges, as a backcountry camper. They all feel different.

But really - I’m a desert girl.  Or better yet, mountains on the edge of desert.  Sigh.  That’s my happy place.

I love visiting the beach but I prefer to live in the hills (we don’t have much in the way of mountains where I live and I don’t love steep drop off roads).  Beaches seem too crowded and busy and open.  I like to be tucked away out of sight.  Dh and DS would probably love to live near the beach though.  There’s one possible exception.  There’s a peninsula here with both beautiful farm land right up to the beach - that would be tempting.

15 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I've realized I like the luxury of living close enough to an airport that I can be where I want to be (beach, cruise, mountains, etc.) without much effort. I don't like mosquitoes, so being on a lake is no interest. Wouldn't want to be on a beach permanently, because I don't want to deal with hurricanes. So airport it is.

Oh, you're saying mountains are the opposite of beach? We sort of live in baby mountains, a rolling hills area. I like that. I'm SO not into flat, yuck, yuck. I like variety. But the airport still solves that.

no, I am not saying the mountains are the opposite of the beach.   

and airports are only good if you have time and money to travel with 4 kids and a two adults who work full time.

dh and I have a 5-6 year plan.   we want to live on/near water.    I think personally I would like to live on a lake and have a doc with a boat and some kayaks, etc....I think it is more private, and peaceful.      dh has been making comments about moving to a beach community.  I am just not so sure.

I probably shouldn't have said mountains in my post.   one of the options for us is to stay local but move to one of the lakes nearby.   it isn't mountainous, and still near the city.