Menu

Socially Distant Winter Vacation Ideas?

Paige

We have to vacate our house for about a week next month while we have work done. It's not optional. I thought about just getting a place nearby to stay but then it was making me sick to spend all that money to basically stay next door in a place not as nice as home. We have a large family and pets to board so everything is expensive. 

I was going to go to a ski/snow tubing place that's reasonably close and would be fun but as I looked at properties and saw how few were left, I thought, hmmm....this place will be busy. We probably don't want to go to an almost sold out resort! 

Any ideas for fun, socially distant family trips? We'd like to stay within a reasonable driving distance of the mid Atlantic states. While I would LOVE to go to a warm beach, my kids hate them (!!!!! They're so weird!) and asked not to go to a beach. They like snow, but all the skiing places look busy. They also like lakes and mountains, but I'm not sure how fun those would be in Feb or what there is for teens to do in the mountains when it's snowy and they aren't skiing. I hate being cold and my youngest DS feels like being cold is a near death experience, so it's tricky to come up with something that pleases everyone. We can't be completely in the boonies because they'll need wifi to keep up with their classes. We have a 3yr old and 4 teens. Ideas? 

1 hour ago, Paige said:

While I would LOVE to go to a warm beach, my kids hate them (!!!!! They're so weird!) and asked not to go to a beach.

Oh my, well I'd veto that in a hot minute. But in all seriousness, you could do a condo in Orlando, sit at the pool/hot tub, and they can go do whatever they jolly want. Eat Publix, catch lizards, I don't know. But a pool with palm trees, that's almost as good.

You could look on airbnb and vrbo and see what pops up. We stayed in Reunion once in Orlando and it was WONDERFUL. You can get houses, condos, whatever you want. You can get waterpark access if you want. If you look at them carefully, some will have nearby access to a pool and hot tub. Very clean, very quiet, gated community. 

I've also done something like the Residence Inn near Sea World. The pool was AMAZING, so beautiful, but the hotel itself was kinda lame. Breakfast was lousy even then and would be worse with covid. Some of the Universal resorts have amazing pools. I think there's a lot of that right now. Disney just released more discounts and free days of park admission when you book a stay. Some options are more distant than others, but I think in general Disney is considered to be doing a really good job. 

But really, that condo in Reunion was so beautiful with the palm trees and view that we wondered why we had park tickets. I totally want to buy there. :biggrin:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paige said:

We probably don't want to go to an almost sold out resort! 

Fwiw, I would think there's less risk from walking down the hall (assuming people are not avertly coughing) vs. crowded restaurants. If you have a kitchen, you can minimize meals out. If you are in a warm locale, you can eat out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paige said:

pets to board

Some of the listings for Reunion were dog friendly. I'm pretty sure the Residence Inn at Sea World was. They put you on the ground floor. I saw people with cats because they had evacuated there for a hurricane. 

So you could transfer the pet boarding money to Reunion condo/whole house money and get your pool, palm trees, everything. :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

We're definitely looking at whole houses and no restaurants. For the ski resort, I was concerned about reviews I'd seen about long lift lines and stuff. And I hate snow and would be the one stuck inside doing nothing with LO so it doesn't take much to put me off. 

I'd love to go to FL or SC or any beach, even a cold one, and sit alone and enjoy the view, cook meals at home, and not see anyone else, but my kids don't want to. Considering it would be a long drive to do nothing inside a house and we've gone to a beach the last 3-4 times we went anywhere I thought I'd look at things they may like.

I'd like to go to a winter birding type beach and see the wildlife or wild horses or other animals that you don't see during the summer but my kids are no fun.

Edited by Paige

The older ones said their favorite vacations have been to the woods for hiking, waterfalls, etc, but I'm not sure anywhere is warm enough in Feb for that. They also likes when my FIL took them to the lake but we don't have a boat- FIL did- and we aren't hiring one. 

3 minutes ago, Paige said:

The older ones said their favorite vacations have been to the woods for hiking, waterfalls, etc, but I'm not sure anywhere is warm enough in Feb for that. They also likes when my FIL took them to the lake but we don't have a boat- FIL did- and we aren't hiring one. 

In Fort Meyers you can walk trails at the Lover's Key State Park and rent kayaks to paddle around and see the manatees. You could take an airboat ride. You can do those types of things in Orlando too if you don't want to drive so far but want warm. Orlando has a park with carillon bells and other parks with trails. They also have drive through Dunkin Donuts. :biggrin:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paige said:

I'd like to go to a winter birding type beach and see the wildlife or wild horses or other animals that you don't see during the summer but my kids are no fun.

Well you can always take school work and point out you'll keep busy anyone who won't busy themselves. 

Orlando is pretty diverse with things to do. You can go bass fishing, walk trails, drive north and see the manatees, do airboat rides. They'd have your birding. They have alligator places. Nuts, you could do all the outdoor putt putt places and never run out. Disney has two really great ones and there are others. Universal has one. I think that would be a really essential study, working through all the putt putts of Orlando.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How about Greenville SC? Maybe not warm enough? But lots of outdoor activities, good restaurants for takeout or outdoor dining.

https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/things-to-do/your-outdoor-guide-to-greenville/?adara_campaignid=11004004315&adara_pixelid=75510&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4Et2LYeBNGKHODoDU1ly6jw0_jbhst2REv8dphwITlreT1nYKiRBjyAaAp9nEALw_wcB

or Charleston SC area? There are beaches you can get to and a downtown area you might feel safe enough exploring? We stayed in Mt pleasant area once on the marsh and it was so pretty. Some decent bird watching.  Rented bikes to get to the beach. A lot of the historic tours are outside and masked only. With a family your size you might be the only ones on the tour? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paige said:

Lake Placid, NY area? Lots of hiking. I'm going to assume that if you were hoping to ski/snowshoe that you'd be willing to go north. Could you rent a cabin instead of doing a resort? Snowshoeing and hiking tends to spread crowds out very nicely. 

3 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

How about Greenville SC? Maybe not warm enough? But lots of outdoor activities, good restaurants for takeout or outdoor dining.

https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/things-to-do/your-outdoor-guide-to-greenville/?adara_campaignid=11004004315&adara_pixelid=75510&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4Et2LYeBNGKHODoDU1ly6jw0_jbhst2REv8dphwITlreT1nYKiRBjyAaAp9nEALw_wcB

or Charleston SC area? There are beaches you can get to and a downtown area you might feel safe enough exploring? We stayed in Mt pleasant area once on the marsh and it was so pretty. Some decent bird watching.  Rented bikes to get to the beach. A lot of the historic tours are outside and masked only. With a family your size you might be the only ones on the tour? 

But then we'd be required to visit family....so we can't go too close to there.

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, Paige said:

We have to vacate our house for about a week next month while we have work done. It's not optional. I thought about just getting a place nearby to stay but then it was making me sick to spend all that money to basically stay next door in a place not as nice as home. We have a large family and pets to board so everything is expensive. 

I was going to go to a ski/snow tubing place that's reasonably close and would be fun but as I looked at properties and saw how few were left, I thought, hmmm....this place will be busy. We probably don't want to go to an almost sold out resort! 

Any ideas for fun, socially distant family trips? We'd like to stay within a reasonable driving distance of the mid Atlantic states. While I would LOVE to go to a warm beach, my kids hate them (!!!!! They're so weird!) and asked not to go to a beach. They like snow, but all the skiing places look busy. They also like lakes and mountains, but I'm not sure how fun those would be in Feb or what there is for teens to do in the mountains when it's snowy and they aren't skiing. I hate being cold and my youngest DS feels like being cold is a near death experience, so it's tricky to come up with something that pleases everyone. We can't be completely in the boonies because they'll need wifi to keep up with their classes. We have a 3yr old and 4 teens. Ideas? 

Find an air BnB in the snowy mountains that has a pool table and/or football. If you play family video games together - bring one with you and hook it up! Bring warm layers and sleds. Bring board games you haven't had time to play in years!

I'm with PeterPan although I would go a step further and rent a single family residence. I have some pet friendly ones saved on my VRBO trip boards. I'll try to link a few. 

https://www.vrbo.com/en-sg/p9401093?adultsCount=4&noDates=true&petIncluded=true&uni_id=8479963

https://www.vrbo.com/en-sg/p4828463?adultsCount=4&noDates=true&petIncluded=true&uni_id=5827076

This house in Reunion is FABULOUS, but way more than we need for just our fam. I saved it though in case we ever do a big family trip. https://www.vrbo.com/en-sg/p3724391?adultsCount=4&noDates=true&petIncluded=true&uni_id=3739112

Edited by popmom

9 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Fwiw, I would think there's less risk from walking down the hall (assuming people are not avertly coughing) vs. crowded restaurants. If you have a kitchen, you can minimize meals out. If you are in a warm locale, you can eat out.

It's the elevators that scare me--personally.