Menu

How long to heat wine to evaporate the alcohol?

crazyforlatin

Insomnia is tricky since there are so many possibilities for root cause. Alcohol could warm the body making it easier to fall asleep, but so could a warm cup of milk or cocoa. 

For me, wine makes me puke while I am okay with brandy or rum. My late grandparents had beer as nightcap. My FIL drinks Guinness draught or stout but that doesn’t make him sleepy.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Insomnia is tricky since there are so many possibilities for root cause. Alcohol could warm the body making it easier to fall asleep, but so could a warm cup of milk or cocoa. 

For me, wine makes me puke while I am okay with brandy or rum. My late grandparents had beer as nightcap. My FIL drinks Guinness draught or stout but that doesn’t make him sleepy.

You're right, I think it's due to post menopause. She's only able to use a small amount of topical progesterone which at first helped but no longer works well unless paired with other remedies. And going higher than 25 mg seems to raise cortisol levels in some people.

Due to a slight liver problem I don't think she can consume wine or beer  every night. 

Even 50 mg of melatonin doesn't work. 

Smoking weed does help but that is the last option.

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

The wine contains about 15% alcohol (red wine, Pinot Noir). I'm asking for someone who can't really consume too much alcohol but wants the benefits of red wine. 

Keep the Pinot Noir for someone who enjoys wine and suggest to your friend that s/he purchase an inexpensive hearty red and use it for cooking.

Wine imparts nice flavors to all sort of stews, sauces, and other dishes and will cook off the alcohol. I think heating a wine to a boil would  not be a good move if s/he wished to drink the wine.

As other have suggested there are other drink options including grape juice and pomegranate juice.

Bill

• Thanks 1

This is...misguided.

The heating will make the wine taste terrible.  And it’s the alcohol that makes you drowsy so it would be counter productive also.

Warm milk honestly does have substance in it that helps, but I think it is nasty.  

I find getting warm with herbal tea is helpful, but sometimes that is just what wakes people up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  However, there is Sleepytime tea which is specifically for this.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

This is...misguided.

The heating will make the wine taste terrible.  And it’s the alcohol that makes you drowsy so it would be counter productive also.

Warm milk honestly does have substance in it that helps, but I think it is nasty.  

I find getting warm with herbal tea is helpful, but sometimes that is just what wakes people up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  However, there is Sleepytime tea which is specifically for this.  

This. Alcohol is a depressant and that is what makes someone sleepy, but it also impairs sleep. 

I would say time to talk to the doctor about prescription meds. There are many meds that have a side effect of making someone sleepy. Drinking wine that has been boiled isn't going to make someone tired, it would just be gross. 

From this article:

Several hours after that nightcap, the alcohol raises the body's level of epinephrine, a stress hormone that increases the heart rate and generally stimulates the body, which can result in nighttime awakenings. Indeed, alcohol may account for 10% of cases of persistent insomnia. Alcohol also relaxes throat muscles, and this relaxation can worsen sleep-related breathing problems and contribute to sleep apnea. What's more, alcohol may increase the need to urinate during the night — just another way in which it can disrupt sleep.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m post-menopause and I struggle with insomnia.  Some things that have helped me:  sticking to a fairly consistent bedtime schedule, a strict no screens (except my kindle paper white!) an hour or more before bed.  Warm Epsom salt bath before bed.  Some gentle stretching before the bath.  Most of my insomnia is b/c of inability to turn my brain off, so books on tape, sleep tapes, etc. have really helped.  There are a number of sleep podcasts available now - there are podcasts with guided sleep directions, there are people who tell stories in nice sleepy voices - you name it, it’s out there!  

Hope something in there is helpful.  

Anne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I think some people take magnesium to help with sleep.  There are kinds that are mixed with hot water to sip like tea.  Nature (?) Calm or similar name.

This is true.  That is what is in Epsom salts.  Personally, Mg tablets are too harsh for me—they give me horrendous intestinal cramps.  But I can handle Epsom salt baths just fine.  20 minutes or more, a cup or so in a tub of water.  This also significantly reduces/prevents my leg cramps, which I have become prone to.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2021 at 5:00 PM, crazyforlatin said:

It's because of insomnia. I don't drink alcohol, so I don't know if it's the alcohol that causes drowsiness or what the red wine contains that can help with sleep problems.

My experience is that red wine causes sleep problems.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:28 PM, crazyforlatin said:

You're right, I think it's due to post menopause. She's only able to use a small amount of topical progesterone which at first helped but no longer works well unless paired with other remedies. And going higher than 25 mg seems to raise cortisol levels in some people.

Due to a slight liver problem I don't think she can consume wine or beer  every night. 

Even 50 mg of melatonin doesn't work. 

Smoking weed does help but that is the last option.

What about CBD gummies?

• 4 weeks later...