Menu

Medical help - Black blood???

backstory

my ds23  was possibly bitten by a spider on his knee. He was at work. he works in the bush wild dog and fox control. that night he became very ill-  Vomiting, high fever, knee swelling and leg not working. 

DH took him to ER where the doctor gave him antibiotics

Ds 17 went and stayed at his house for a few days to look after him.

his knee is still slightly swollen and hurts but nothing like it was.

fast forward 3 weeks .

On Friday he had some blood tests. the pathology nurse took a vial of blood then said wow in her 20 years of being a pathology nurse she has never seen black blood . She has occasionally seen dark blood but never totally black blood. She took a few extra vials ( I suspect she rang the doctor to order some other tests, but don't know. my boys are not the most communicative and I cannot find out as they are adults and he doesn't even live at home anymore)

So has anyone heard of black blood? any suggestions? I did some googling and all I can find is that it could mean low oxygen levels. 

the Dr office just rang me after my son's phone number.

I messaged my son to see what they said and he said that the dr wants to see him as soon as possible.--- so he made an appointment for tomorrow at 5 pm. possible  he is way out in the bush and wouldn't make an appointment today. 

• Sad 21

I hope your son recovers.  That sounds quite scary - I think staph infections are common after spider bites - my dad had a bad one on his leg that took a couple of months to fully get on top of.  If there’s the chance of sepsis there is some research into high dose vitamin c that may be worth looking at (science based).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Can you call your son back and tell him this could be extremely serious?    Low oxygen can cause him to black out or hurt organs.  He doesn't need to be out in the bush and have that happen.  

He is in constant radio contact with his work office, Has to call in every so many minutes and has a GPS tracker on his car so the office knows exactly where he is at all times. So if something was to go pear shaped it isn't like nobody will know where he is.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

He is in constant radio contact with his work office, Has to call in every so many minutes and has a GPS tracker on his car so the office knows exactly where he is at all times. So if something was to go pear shaped it isn't like nobody will know where he is.

That has to make you feel better.

• Thanks 1

well DS told me that the doctor said that he is all good, nothing wrong. I asked what about the black blood and he said the only thing wrong was low sugar, but it was still within healthy range. I said but what about the black blood and he said the doctor didn't mention it.

I need a head banging smiley 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

well DS told me that the doctor said that he is all good, nothing wrong. I asked what about the black blood and he said the only thing wrong was low sugar, but it was still within healthy range. I said but what about the black blood and he said the doctor didn't mention it.

I need a head banging smiley 

Oh my goodness. That makes me wonder: did the doctor even know about it? 

• Like 4

But they did blood work work right?   If his numbers were otherwise fine, I wouldn’t really worry about one nurse’s off handed comment.  Maybe lighting was bad.   I would see blood sugar or dehydration throwing off coloring a little.  Maybe her eyeglass prescription needs work.  Sorry for the stress though.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Condessa said:

So then why did the dr. want to see him as soon as possible?  Just to tell him he has low-ish blood sugar?  That seems odd.

That seems odd to me too. Or is it standard practice to give blood work results in person?  I guess something was seriously wrong, then the dr would see it on the blood reports.

Edited by Hannah
  • Like 2

My guess is they wanted vitals. If they were bad it would’ve been immediate hospital admission. But since they were good there’s little chance of organ failure or anything really bad so it must be an antibiotic side effect. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Condessa said:

So then why did the dr. want to see him as soon as possible?  Just to tell him he has low-ish blood sugar?  That seems odd.

Low blood sugar can lead to fainting spells. Low but within the normal range isn't as scary. Sometimes the doctor wants to order more blood work.

I’m from Asia and general practitioners usually want to see in person unless it’s routine blood work, then they just call.

• Like 1