Menu

Beyond AP classes when DE options are limited. Math & Science

We are looking at the post Calc BC math options for next year. As it turns out, my non-competitive math learner is a teensy bit more competitive when there are "annoying boys" in a class. 

As I see it we have the following good-ish options: (Each $ is roughly $500 per course.)

• The Stanford classes $$$- is there student interaction? Mathematics | Stanford Pre-Collegiate University-Level Online Math & Physics Not interactive. 
  • A video course through our state gifted high school $- Transferable college credit and almost enough math to get through high school. No student interaction (unless you are a residential student in the program- also an option, but not our favorite one).
  • DE an hour away. $$ Student interaction, but unsure of professor quality, and they can be picky about DE students. Credits transfer to state engineering program. It would need to be an evening class b/c I work days now and she won't be ready for driving that long of a commute quite yet. 
  • DE online. $$ No student interaction. Credits transfer to state engineering program.
  • DE locally. Free. But math department is weak. Credits won't transfer for Calc 3, but seem to for the higher classes?
  • MITOCW. Free. Good. No student interaction, but dd would "puffy heart" an MIT class. No credit, but maybe be able to test out later? I could not help her and she would be beyond her old tutor.
  • Added for future Hive families: CTY. Has Multivariable, Linear and Diff Eq $$$$ https://cty.jhu.edu/online/tuition/
  • And: Northwester CTD has some offerings. $$$$ Their course reviews have been really uneven over the years: Explore Courses | Northwestern Center for Talent Development

I wish Shin Yen and Blue Tent taught online DE classes! 

We still have a year of AP or (good) DE physics, but would need science options after that for senior year.

ETA- she's also doing classes outside of the regular sequence (eIMACs classes), but I think of those as electives.

Edited by MamaSprout

7 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

• MITOCW. Free. Good. No student interaction, but dd would "puffy heart" an MIT class. No credit, but maybe be able to test out later? I could not help her and she would be beyond her old tutor.

EdX has better versions of the MIT courses.  My older boy did the multivariate course and the differential equation course and then placed out of them by exam. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lewelma said:

EdX has better versions of the MIT courses.  My older boy did the multivariate course and the differential equation course and then placed out of them by exam. 

Nice!

When I look at the site, there doesn't seem to be a Multivariable Calculus option. Is it only available sometimes?

Also, is there any interaction with the students and instructors, or is it mostly self-directed learning?

Thank you!

56 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Nice!

When I look at the site, there doesn't seem to be a Multivariable Calculus option. Is it only available sometimes?

Also, is there any interaction with the students and instructors, or is it mostly self-directed learning?

Thank you!

It's been a while since he took multivariate calc, maybe it was on coursera. He definitely did it asynchronously. 

Because edX is on a set timetable, there is interaction with students but I'm not sure about instructors. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Nice!

Thank you!

I think it's called Linerar Alegebra on edX. The current session for Linear Algebra III starts today for synchronous learning, but everything from Intro to Linear Algebra to Linear Algebra IV, as well as Advanced Linear Algebra, is available asynchronously. All are from different providers. There are also Applications of Linear Algebra classes, though it's not clear how much Linear Algebra would be needed to understand them.

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia

4 hours ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

I think it's called Linerar Alegebra on edX. The current session for Linear Algebra III starts today for synchronous learning, but everything from Intro to Linear Algebra to Linear Algebra IV, as well as Advanced Linear Algebra, is available asynchronously. All are from different providers. There are also Applications of Linear Algebra classes, though it's not clear how much Linear Algebra would be needed to understand them.

I think Linear algebra is a different class from multivariable calculus? 

Throwing out our experience with my then-advanced math student, now Princeton-grad electrical engineer. She was precalc (9th), AP Calc AB (10th), dual enrollment Calc 2 and 3 (11th). For senior year, she did AP Stats and AP Comp Sci (technically a math course). Both of those were through AP Homeschoolers. Not much student interaction, I suppose with the PAH option, I suppose.

• Like 2