Menu

noom

DawnM

I have a couple of co-workers who have done noom for the last year and lost a significant amount of weight.   i also have a couple of friends on facebook who have lost on it.

I am currently doing the free trial and my biggest issue with it is that you pay for a whole year up front.   I don't want to get a month in and decide it isn't working or I am not using it.

so I went to cancel my subscription and they offered me a $19/mo plan instead of paying it all up front, and it is free to cancel at any time....no commitments.

I am going to see what I think as I don't think 2 weeks is enough time to really see if I like it.

Anyone here who has done it?   Thoughts?

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

I used it for several months.  I did lose weight, but just similar to when I tracked my calories on MyFitnessPal. They gave the same recommendation for number of calories for me to eat.  I had hoped that having some "accountability" would be helpful, and I think it did at first.

I thought the style of the program was annoying -- lot's of  puns and cutesy, upbeat,  rah-rah encouragement -- but that's just me, as I would have preferred more scientific studies.  They did provide some supposedly scientific advice, but it was often contradictory a few weeks later (always eat breakfast!  Unless skipping breakfast works for you!).  To keep up with the program you had to read their articles daily and sometimes post to other members, and eventually it just became a chore.  

The calorie tracker was only OK -- several times I had to check MyFitnessPal to get calories for something I ate; for example I could find an entry for a Taco Bell bean burrito, but not a bean burrito without cheese.  I have heard second hand that other people around me have found it helpful, so maybe it's just not my style.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kebo said:

I used it for several months.  I did lose weight, but just similar to when I tracked my calories on MyFitnessPal. They gave the same recommendation for number of calories for me to eat.  I had hoped that having some "accountability" would be helpful, and I think it did at first.

I thought the style of the program was annoying -- lot's of  puns and cutesy, upbeat,  rah-rah encouragement -- but that's just me, as I would have preferred more scientific studies.  They did provide some supposedly scientific advice, but it was often contradictory a few weeks later (always eat breakfast!  Unless skipping breakfast works for you!).  To keep up with the program you had to read their articles daily and sometimes post to other members, and eventually it just became a chore.  

The calorie tracker was only OK -- several times I had to check MyFitnessPal to get calories for something I ate; for example I could find an entry for a Taco Bell bean burrito, but not a bean burrito without cheese.  I have heard second hand that other people around me have found it helpful, so maybe it's just not my style.  

ah, yeah, cutesy isn't my style either, it is one thing that annoys the heck out of me with Trim Healthy Mama (the fact that they call their podcast the 'poddy' is enough to make me want to smack someone.

I guess I will give it 6 weeks, including one paid month, and see what I think.

I started in late November or so and love it. I find it very motivating. Christmas and all the indulgence threw me off, but now I'm happy to get back on track. 

Three years ago, I had success with WW, but that stopped working for me. 

I have a hard time sticking with most things when it comes to diet. I hope that I can succeed with this.

I'm not looking for any quick fixes, more like something over the long-term. Food and eating are the bane of my existence. 

I have recently found Pahla B on YouTube and she is wonderful. If you or anyone don't want to necessarily pay for Noom, Pahla B is another option worth considering. She has some free e-books that are extremely helpful. She has organized playlists for weight loss. I just joined her Facebook group and it's very encouraging. She also has a podcast. If you want more tips/info, let me know. I'll be happy to share. Right now, I'm thrilled to have a plan. I feel confident that with her approach and Noom, I may be able to do this. God willing. 

Edited by negin
  • Like 3

Just wanted to add that their approach when it comes to diet, although they say that they're not really a diet per se, more like behavior changing, is very similar to Volumetrics. You could look that approach up and/or look into the Volumetrics books. 

• Like 1

I had wondered about their program and have gone so far as to click their links to read about it but it seemed "psychological".  Which is perfect if your problem is helped by behavior modification (correct me if I'm wrong).  For me personally (I track every morsel that goes into my body and my exercise and water and blood sugars and macros and have for years) I need something different because my body's issue is something different. 

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had wondered about their program and have gone so far as to click their links to read about it but it seemed "psychological".  Which is perfect if your problem is helped by behavior modification (correct me if I'm wrong).  For me personally (I track every morsel that goes into my body and my exercise and water and blood sugars and macros and have for years) I need something different because my body's issue is something different. 

Not to hijack the thread, but have you looked into the 6 week body makeover?  I lost 20 pounds with it and am restarting to lose 20 more. You type your body then follow the meal plan tailored for your type. The weight literally melts off.  There is an active facebook group that shares recipes and encouragement.

3 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Not to hijack the thread, but have you looked into the 6 week body makeover?  I lost 20 pounds with it and am restarting to lose 20 more. You type your body then follow the meal plan tailored for your type. The weight literally melts off.  There is an active facebook group that shares recipes and encouragement.

I will look at that.  I've already lost 25 pounds.  I had to fight tooth and nail for every single pound of that.  It's just that my weight has plateaued for the last year since then. 

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with noom, but I think having some sort of structure -- noom, WW, Paleo, whatever you'll stick with -- is vital. I lost on WW, but you can lose on any structure that decreases calories. (A lot are raving about intermittent fasting.)

For me, the challenge started with maintenance.

Weight loss maintenance is something our culture doesn't really address.

I highly recommend reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. This book came out in 2012 and is life altering. I reread it or listen on audio book every other year or so. It's awesome.

Just adding: I think $19 a month is fantastic. (Keeping in mind that I don't know noom well.) Congratulations on getting them to give you a much better deal!! 🤗

Wendy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I'm not familiar with noom, but I think having some sort of structure -- noom, WW, Paleo, whatever you'll stick with -- is vital. I lost on WW, but you can lose on any structure that decreases calories. (A lot are raving about intermittent fasting.)

For me, the challenge started with maintenance.

Weight loss maintenance is something our culture doesn't really address.

I highly recommend reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. This book came out in 2012 and is life altering. I reread it or listen on audio book every other year or so. It's awesome.

Just adding: I think $19 a month is fantastic. (Keeping in mind that I don't know noom well.) Congratulations on getting them to give you a much better deal!! 🤗

Wendy

Wendy, I could have pretty much written your entire post and couldn't agree with you more on both points. Having any structure that decreases calories will help get the weight off. It's the maintenance and the focus on a lifetime of habits that are seldom addressed.

"The Power of Habit" is a book that I need to re-read. My dh and I believe that Noom is somewhat based on that book. What I like about Noom is that addresses habits and behaviors, which, to me, are the most important parts of maintenance. At my age, I am no longer interested in any program that doesn't address maintenance. 

Agreeing that $19 a month is great. I think that's about how much I paid. When I paid for a year of Noom, I had a good promo code. You can google "Noom Promo Code" or "Noom Discount Code". Reddit often posts them. I also saw this, but it's best for you to search for those words and you should hopefully come up with something. 

Oh, I just saw your blog below your signature. First of all, you're so pretty. Had to say that.

Second, thank you for starting this blog and good for you for keeping the weight off for so long! Oh, I can't wait to start reading! I'm excited!

Edited by negin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, negin said:

Wendy, I could have pretty much written your entire post and couldn't agree with you more on both points. Having any structure that decreases calories will help get the weight off. It's the maintenance and the focus on a lifetime of habits that are seldom addressed.

"The Power of Habit" is a book that I need to re-read. My dh and I believe that Noom is somewhat based on that book. What I like about Noom is that addresses habits and behaviors, which, to me, are the most important parts of maintenance. At my age, I am no longer interested in any program that doesn't address maintenance. 

Agreeing that $19 a month is great. I think that's about how much I paid. When I paid for a year of Noom, I had a good promo code. You can google "Noom Promo Code" or "Noom Discount Code". Reddit often posts them. I also saw this, but it's best for you to search for those words and you should hopefully come up with something. 

Oh, I just saw your blog below your signature. First of all, you're so pretty. Had to say that.

Second, thank you for starting this blog and good for you for keeping the weight off for so long! Oh, I can't wait to start reading! I'm excited!

Your words mean so much.

I agree with you 100 percent. Maintenance is never really addressed.

A billion thank yous -- and thank you for liking my blog. I take any and all feedback!

Wendy

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I love it too!  I just need you in my ear 24/7 to remind me of all the things you write about! 

I just want you to know that there is nothing special about me at all re: diet, exercise etc. (Like, I ran cross country in high school: nope. Or my dad is a former Olympian: nope again. For three decades, I ate when I was bored, scared, freaked out, happy etc.  I mean, there is nothing special about me. I promise.)

If I can keep the weight off, you absolutely can.

Wendy

• Like 2

ok, update.   I have decided to end my Noom subscription.   I feel I need something more.   my neighbor has lost 80 pounds on some medical program through one of our hospital programs locally.   I called but my insurance doesn't cover nearly as much as hers, and their hours are only when I am working.

but, that got me doing a little research and I went to my insurance page and typed in 'weight' and it came up with an even closer program that caught my interest.    it is less medical and more personal, lead by a nutritionist/dietitian.    I called and it turns out my insurance covers 100 percent of the costs.   so, no harm in trying.

it is based on the mediteranian diet and includes individual and group support.    the reviews on google are all very high.   

I am excited.  I am filling out paperwork today.

and yes, it is driving me nuts to not have my shift key working.    forgive the lower case writing.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I just want you to know that there is nothing special about me at all re: diet, exercise etc. (Like, I ran cross country in high school: nope. Or my dad is a former Olympian: nope again. For three decades, I ate when I was bored, scared, freaked out, happy etc.  I mean, there is nothing special about me. I promise.)

If I can keep the weight off, you absolutely can.

Wendy

I absolutely agree.  It's all mental.  I've maintained a big loss for many years, but got way off track starting on Christmas Eve and have been really struggling to get back to my normal eating routine (plus I gained a lot of weight since then - why does it come back so easily?).  It's taking a toll on me mentally because I'm so discouraged with myself, but clearly not enough to force me to get back to eating the way that works for me to stay slim.  

• Like 3