Menu

Ridiculous books on crime, lying, and other things our kids don't get...

Ds had been asking for the thief/lying version of monopoly (I forget what it's called) and I vetoed it. Now I'm noticing children's literature explores these ideas of lying, pranks, doing what's wrong, and it's kind of helpful. We haven't really had a common language for this. 

https://www.amazon.com/Here-Comes-Trouble-Kate-Hattemer/dp/1524718467/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=here+comes+trouble&qid=1610260451&sr=8-6  Here Comes Trouble by Kate Hattemer

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Shady-Crook-Gjertsen-Malone/dp/1534422277/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=camp+shady+crook&qid=1610260383&sr=8-1  Camp Shady Crook (emphasis on CROOK, haha) by Malone. He's listening to this right now.

So what will be next? Any suggestions? This Camp Shady Crook seems very tongue in cheek. I don't know if he's getting warped or developing social perception. I'm HOPING it's the latter. :biggrin:

47 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Did you ever see that episode of Red Dwarf where Lister is trying to teach Kryten to lie?

Oh, that would be perfect!!!  Some of the old Gordon Korman books might be good for exploring the idea of under the table shady stuff.  No Coins Please and Who Is Bugs Potter? come to mind.  

• Like 1

A big plot of every Slappy book in Goosebumps is:  Slappy does things and the kids get blamed for something they didn’t do.  

Slappy is a dummy who comes to life, and he will do things like make a big mess. Then the kids tell the parents “Slappy did it,” but he has gone limp, and the parents don’t believe the kids.

This has been very interesting and hard-to-understand for my son.  

It definitely gives an opportunity to talk about what one person knows, but another person doesn’t know.  

I think it has helped give him some language around perspective taking that way, and lying.  

For my son — it’s easier that there is the same character and a similar plot in a lot of books, plus Slappy was in the recent Goosebumps movie with Jack Black and looked really cool in it.   

They are definitely books to preview, though!  

Edited by Lecka

Since I know you have these books — there is a section on perspective taking in Book 2 of the Mindwings Autism series.  Page 14.14 and page 14.15 have a visual for two different characters.  They have a thought bubble for what is “thought” and a talking bubble for what is “said.”

My son has a hard time with — someone saying something that doesn’t represent what they are thinking. 

But he is better at the language/understanding of “the mom said this, but the son knows that really happened.”  

It’s helped with his understanding of the words “think” and “know.”

I can say “the mom believes this happened, but the son knows that happened.”

And use some of the “mental state” words in a meaningful context.

• Thanks 1

My husband just said, there are a lot of times where Slappy says something like “thanks a lot,” but he is being sarcastic.

Almost any time something is sarcastic, my son won’t know.

But it’s so over-the-top and we already know Slappy is sarcastic, so he has a lot better chance of realizing Slappy is sarcastic.

And can talk about what it means to be sarcastic.  

My son is better at noticing really blatant, oblivious sarcasm in Goosebumps since he started liking them, but it’s still hit or miss.  But at least he knows what it is at all!  He did not before.  No way to say “he is saying thank you, but he doesn’t mean thank you,” that my son could understand.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 3:11 AM, Rosie_0801 said:

Did you ever see that episode of Red Dwarf where Lister is trying to teach Kryten to lie?

No, but that's a riot!! I will definitely have to look for it. You're right, that's exactly the kind of stuff.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:49 PM, EKS said:

I have a friend with a son (who is now grown) with autism, and when he was a teen they used to watch Survivor together.  They would look at the end first to see who was voted out, and then see how things led up to it.  

That's smart!! You're right, that show is just FILLED with dynamics, hmm. And we really like to have tv series we watch together. :biggrin:

On 1/10/2021 at 4:04 AM, Terabith said:

Oh, that would be perfect!!!  Some of the old Gordon Korman books might be good for exploring the idea of under the table shady stuff.  No Coins Please and Who Is Bugs Potter? come to mind.  

That name sounds familiar, must look them up...

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 4:04 AM, Terabith said:

Oh now I know. I had just seen his name in looking at books last night. He has a new book War Stories. I was rabbit trailing these other books. I'll go look for the two you mentioned. :smile:

He has 40+ books on BARD! None of the ones you listed, but still quite a few. If he likes them, jackpot!

Edited by PeterPan