Menu

Is there a dog breed that...umm..doesn't smell like a dog??

Poodles tend to smell fresher because they don't produce the dander that most dogs do. 'Course if you have a poodle that likes to roll in, er, stuff, all bets are off. :tongue_smilie:

Also, there's the grooming thing. But they are intelligent dogs and worth the effort. I do so miss having a poodle.

Just hopin'!

My Goldendoodle doesn't smell like a dog. He is over 80 lbs. and people are often suprised when they find out he is a house dog, no shedding, no smell:)

He's the guy in the Avatar pic.

ETA: He gets a bath and nails clipped every other week, we clean his ears weekly and brush his teeth 3 times a week.

Edited by Pongo

We have a Golden Retriever ("Riley") who doesn't smell doggie. We wash him when he rolls in deer scat :tongue_smilie:, which happens during rutting season. We also give him a bath when a significant family member comes. Sometimes he gets diarrhea from too much chicken (one of the few table scraps he gets), so in the tub he must go. Other than that, he smells fine, has a sweet coat, and doesn't seem to stink up his bedding or his kennel.

I agree that it's often what is fed the dog, rather than the breed (although I imagine Shar pei's may smell because of "stuff" that accumulates in the folds of their skin).

I have a malamute X german shepherd, completely indoor dog, and she doesn't smell at all. I haven't bathed her in over a year. She's brushed every couple days. I do have to spot clean her every once in a while cause she likes to roll in goose poop if I turn my back :glare: We walk in the rain a lot & I towel her off when we come in so she gets a "surface cleaning" pretty often.

I ditto the diet & grooming issue - these are huge factors.

I know someone with border collies who swim in the ocean & she rarely bathes them.

IME, dogs with droopy ears tend to have a bit more of a smell but I fostered a droopy ear maremma for 13 mos & he didn't smell at all either.

Wet dog always smells a bit btw, but once dry, they don't smell to me.

My other fosters have come from very neglected situations & I bathed them when they first arrived, but then once clean & they got good diet and were regularly brushed, they didn't smell.

Crappy diets, dirty dogs, as well as fungal & bacterial skin infections are the main doggy odor causes IMO.

I don't know of one that specifically doesn't smell like a dog, but want to say as a proud shar-pei/lab owner and pug owner that they don't smell any different because of the folds. I actually don't even have to clean my pugs folds, he's very clean when he eats LOL. For my shar-pei mix I just wipe out her folds each day and we're fine, granted she's not a wrinkley as many, but none of the full bred sharpei's I've known smelled. It's all a hygiene thing. Sharpei's shouldn't be bathed as often as many dogs because they tend to have dry skin.

I grind my dogs nails once a week (this way it's quick) and bath the pug about once a month the other sharpei/lab is about once every 3 months or so.

Now my brothers spaniel always had a funk to her because she had horrid ear problems.

I am not sure...but don't get a cocker spaniel. LOL My Rosco smells a bit worse than a dog when he is in need of a bath. That said, he is also a lot of work to take care of - he smells good for about two days after a bath with a special shampoo that I dearly love (which costs and arm and a leg) and then there is the fun of drying him with a pet dryer for over an hour to get his precious coat looking the way it is meant to look. Ahhh...the joys of a prissy dog. LOL

Poodles. Maltese. We have a Jack Russel cross Maltese that doesnt smell or shed hair. Poodles dont shed hair either. Both poodles and maltese have hair that is similar ot human hair- it keeps growing, which is why they need trimming regularly.

We really notice the difference because we have two dogs. The "normal" dog- a heinz variety- smells, particularly if she gets wet. But the JR/Maltese doesn't smell. Dh is sensitive to such things.

...'hypoallergenic', and while I'm not sure that that's possible, lol, I do know that my mom's Schnauzer does not have that 'doggy' smell.

And I'm not a dog lover...I'm not speaking about a dog that I adore and would ignore stink on...and I have kind of a sensitive 'smeller'. :-) So, take it for what it's worth.

IME, it's all about what they eat. Bad dogfood gives a bad dog smell.

I feed raw most of the time. When they're on 80-100% raw, they have no doggie odor, their teeth are gorgeous, breath is fresh.

Even on high quality kibble, there is doggie odor. On poor kibble (ie grocery store), it's unbearable - the smell. ugh.

:)

K

what kind of food is good to feed a dog?

My criteria was a premium dog food that does not contain corn, or at least doesn't have it as one of the top four ingredients. Nothing from the grocery store is going to work. PetCo does carry some good brands (we used Natural Balance) and I believe PetSmart has one or two as well. You really have to read the labels. Expect to pay about $35 - 40 per large bag. ETA: I avoided chicken, too, because my dogs were sensitive to it.

Ria

Edited by Ria

Guest janainaz

I have a Shih-Poo and I wash and conditioner her hair with Pantene. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that, or not, but....she sure smells good all the time!! No stinky dogs here!

Our greyhounds never seemed to smell and we rarely bathed them. They were pretty low maintenance as far as dogs go - laid around all day. They can have teeth troubles and they need to exercise a bit, but a neighborhood walk works fine. They are tall but curl up into pretty small balls on the couch. They make good TV watchin' companions. We have a (rescued) cocker spaniel now. He's long haired and needs frequent (weekly) baths to keep the smell down.

Our dog has no odor at all. She is a Finnish Spitz. They are fairly rare. I know of a breeder in TX. We bathe her about twice a year. She cleans herself like a cat and has more of a cat personality. She is sweet and likes a little attention but likes to be left alone some too. Spitz's are northern breeds so they sometimes are difficult to train and have a little attitude. Finnish Spitz's are bred for their bark. I have a picture of her on my blog if you look at last year's Christmas posts.

Our dog has no odor at all. She is a Finnish Spitz. They are fairly rare. I know of a breeder in TX. We bathe her about twice a year. She cleans herself like a cat and has more of a cat personality. She is sweet and likes a little attention but likes to be left alone some too. Spitz's are northern breeds so they sometimes are difficult to train and have a little attitude. Finnish Spitz's are bred for their bark. I have a picture of her on my blog if you look at last year's Christmas posts.

How are these dogs in terms of pet allergies?

the Costco/Kirkland kibble has no corn nor any animal by products. Whole Dog Journal recommends staying away from anything with mystery 'by products' meat. $21 for a 40lb bag. Trader Joe's Chopped Lamb & Rice dinner passes those two tests also.

that being said, our schnoodle Harley is doggy when wet or when we get lax with grooming.

We use Merrick, merrickpetcare.com. We have noticed such a difference in our cats, its unbelievable. Even dh says the litterbox does not smell anymore.

Cant say enough good things about them. We get it shipped to the house for free and belong to club, to get discount.

Again, great food.

Our Cairn Terrier doesn't smell much. She's on food from the vet right now, but as soon as she's done with this bag, I'm switching her over to Canidae, which what I've seen recommended by Cairn breeders. And, I've read that she needs to be bathed once a month.

And, I agree with the others; it's all in the food.

The articles I have read say that it is not good for allergeries because they shed seasonally. I didn't know that was the cause of allergies? I know when we lived in PA she only shed twice a year but in FL she sheds constantly.

Bolognese are hypoallergenic, don't shed at all, don't produce dog dander, and don't smell like dogs, even wet. Here's mine. The downside -- this is a high maintenance dog. Don't even consider this breed unless you're prepared to hold him in your lap and groom him any time you sit down. They mat like crazy. But that hair is as soft as cotton. He's like a really high quality, silky-soft stuffed animal come to life. A really sweet dog if you can keep ahead of the mats.

Edited by Cindyg

Raw food. Raw meaty bones plus some scraps from the table- a bit of yoghurt, fish, vegetables, not pasta! A bit of cheese is ok but not much.

Our medium sized dog gets a chicken carcass a day plus some scraps, or some other type of bone plus scraps.

The small dog is getting a ball of mince- lamb, beef, kangaroo or turkey- each day. Then she goes and tries to steal the bigger dog's bones for a chew.

Its good to fast dogs. They don't need feeding every day- 1 or 2 fasting days a week is actually healthy for their digestive tract, to let it completely empty out. Its how it works in the wild. Over feeding them is a big cause of problems. Of course, you have to overcome those big sad eyes, but we do it and it's kept our dog who has a tendency to overweight, to a good size.

Also, you should never leave food out for a dog or cat, all the time. If they didnt eat it, take it out of their sight and smell and try again later. For a dog, I would leave it quite a while before trying again.

Here is a website with some basics.

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners/whatisrmb.php

Other benefits apart from health, is that you dont have to open any more stinking cans, the pets don't smell or get bad breath- and the doggy doo in the backyard turns to white, and fairly oderless, within a day or two.

We have two Italian greyhounds. They have very fine, short hair so they are easy to keep clean. They don't smell unless they haven't had a bath for a few months. And they don't drool (one of my requirements :D). I have a mild dog allergy and they don't bother me at all. They are very lovey dogs, lap dogs in the true sense of the word. Here's some info if you're interested.

This is the brand of dog food they eat. We have had good luck with it so far, as soon as we started them on it their coats turned so silky.

This was being talked about on our local support group today. Here is a response. I have no experience with this type of dog. :)

"Basenjis - they do not have that stinky dog smell, even when wet. It's interesting."

I grew up with Basenjis. They do not smell, even when wet. It's true.

Wonderful dogs - very beautiful

But, IMO, not for small children. They are the African dogs commonly pictured in ancient Egyptian art. They were used for hunting and are very athletic. I've seen them jump a 6 six foot fence running and catch a bird in flight. They can play rough. Also, they don't bark - as they don't have a voice box. They yodel but usually only when happy.

When my dd is older we'll get one.

Edited by JWSJ