Menu

Is your state doing in person student testing?

mommyoffive

I am wondering what if other states are doing in person student testing?

My kids attend a virtual public school.  Normal years they do in person testing once a year.  They didn't do it last year as it is usually in April.  They have it on the schedule to do it this year.   I know it is months off, but I am freaked about it.  Not about the testing, but because of Covid.  Ugh.  

Yup, my ninth grader, who is attending a virtual public school, has to do standardized testing in person.  Not thrilled about it, but if the numbers are relatively small, masked, sitting silently, is probably best case scenario.  

My oldest needs to take SAT and ACT, but I think we're probably going to try to wait until after they're vaccinated and maybe do it once each in the fall.  Not great if it would be better to retake, but I don't think they're likely to be able to get vaccinated until late spring/ summer.  

• Like 1

Our school is still running the standardized tests, and as previous poster mentioned above, they are all 6 ft apart, facing one way, regular rooms =25% capacity or gyms and larger spaces <50 people. 

We also have been in school at 25% capacity (approx 700 students in building) since Oct, including eating lunch at school, which makes me nervous. But among students there has been no known in-school student to student transmission with  the (many) mitigation measures we have in place. I was SO SO doubtful about the plan at first, but it seems to be working.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yup, my ninth grader, who is attending a virtual public school, has to do standardized testing in person.  Not thrilled about it, but if the numbers are relatively small, masked, sitting silently, is probably best case scenario.  

My oldest needs to take SAT and ACT, but I think we're probably going to try to wait until after they're vaccinated and maybe do it once each in the fall.  Not great if it would be better to retake, but I don't think they're likely to be able to get vaccinated until late spring/ summer.  

Do you have the option of getting out of them?  Not sure when your tests our, ours are in spring.  Obviously it is impossible to predict what the numbers will be them.  Hopefully better.

1 minute ago, Karen A said:

Our school is still running the standardized tests, and as previous poster mentioned above, they are all 6 ft apart, facing one way, regular rooms =25% capacity or gyms and larger spaces <50 people. 

We also have been in school at 25% capacity (approx 700 students in building) since Oct, including eating lunch at school, which makes me nervous. But among students there has been no known in-school student to student transmission with  the (many) mitigation measures we have in place. I was SO SO doubtful about the plan at first, but it seems to be working.

I have heard the same thing reported a few times.  And I wonder are they really sure though?  A lot of the places gave up with contact tracing because numbers were so high.  I don't know I guess I just don't trust it still because I don't feel like there is enough tracing going on. 

• Like 1

Yes, but which tests vary by school and grade.  My sons' school usually does PSAT in the fall and ACT Aspire in the spring.  7th grade will take no standardized tests this school year.  11th grade took the PSAT in person as originally scheduled.  8th-10th grades will take it virtually in the spring.  The school cancelled the ACT Aspire tests.   9th, 10th, and 12th graders must take either the ACT or SAT, 11th grade must take the ACT.  Students enrolled in n AP course must take the corresponding AP exam to get credit for the course.   

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you have the option of getting out of them?  Not sure when your tests our, ours are in spring.  Obviously it is impossible to predict what the numbers will be them.  Hopefully better.

If we opt out, she'll have to take end of course exams for other courses that don't do explicit test preparation in order to graduate.  And at least with science, she's certain to be able to pass this year but not so certain next year.  And math is a crap shoot of whether or not she'll pass it any given year, so we need the opportunity to re-take it next year if required.  

She's got some learning disabilities that make her not taking them a bad idea in terms of high school graduation, even if it would be safer from a covid standpoint not to take them.  The state won't just forgive them; they have to pass five end of course exams in specific courses to graduate.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

If we opt out, she'll have to take end of course exams for other courses that don't do explicit test preparation in order to graduate.  And at least with science, she's certain to be able to pass this year but not so certain next year.  And math is a crap shoot of whether or not she'll pass it any given year, so we need the opportunity to re-take it next year if required.  

She's got some learning disabilities that make her not taking them a bad idea in terms of high school graduation, even if it would be safer from a covid standpoint not to take them.  The state won't just forgive them; they have to pass five end of course exams in specific courses to graduate.  

Gotcha.

This is my first year of having a high schooler kiddo.  I haven't heard anything on how that works for them.  

• Like 1

Yes. Dh teaches in a public school that has been predominantly in person with the option for remote learning, though. They had to go all remote the week before Christmas and half the kids had not taken the EOCs. They came back this week for two days (amidst a big increase in cases) so that kids could test. Now they are all remote learning until at least after MLK Day. 

My guess is that California’s state testing is not going to take place. My district already ask juniors to use the alternative method of NMS because they will not host the PSAT this year. They don’t expect to be back in school grounds until April at the earliest. 

7 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Last year our governor cancelled testing for public schooled students... but did not release homeschoolers from their requirements ... I'm still bitter. No idea about this year.

Did the homeschool students have to do it in person?   If so it makes zero sense. 

19 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Did the homeschool students have to do it in person?   If so it makes zero sense. 

We were not required to test in person (we are responsible for our own testing). Most homeschoolers  in our state usually do test in some group setting and had to scramble for other options. 

The testing requirement in our state is already a hassle . Homeschoolers are required to use a nationally normed test - our state test, used by the public schools, does not qualify. In the past, we've done ITBS administered by our school district homeschool office, or another test administered by the church that hosted our homeschool group. Or used SAT/ACT...none of these were options. We went with CAT online and it was a complete pain in the @$$ and the results were meaningless ... homeschoolers across the state had to struggle to find alternatives while all of our testing centers and options were closed and it took weeks for the governor to say the exemption from testing for all students did not include homeschooling students. But I only have one student this year and homeschoolers here only test in odd grade years (3/5/7/9/11) and he's in 10th so I don't really have it on my current radar. 

Edited by theelfqueen

Has not been announced either way yet for NY, but I’d be shocked if they take place. We have gotten through so little of our curriculum this year, in both the elementary & high school. They were waived last year and I expect it again but they won’t announce until much later in the spring (wouldn’t want us to let the kids slack off early...)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

Nope. I don't see it happening for spring either. I'd be shocked if the NCLB testing requirements weren't suspended by the feds again this year. No state will have to test.

I hope not.  

I also hope they let the schools know soon, so they don't waste time getting ready for the test.  They end up spending at least a month working on getting ready for it.  

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope not.  

I also hope they let the schools know soon, so they don't waste time getting ready for the test.  They end up spending at least a month working on getting ready for it.  

I probably should have emphasized the word have. No state will have to test, but some states will insist on doing it anyway. I assume they'll take their time about it because they're overly optimistic about the possibility of getting kids back in the classroom this year. 

Nothing has been announced here yet, but I am guessing that in-person testing will be canceled again this year. At this point only elementary students are even allowed to have hybrid learning and/or small groups. Middle school and high schools are online only still. If the kids can’t have school in person, then they should not be required to test in person, but that is just my opinion.

14 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I have heard the same thing reported a few times.  And I wonder are they really sure though?  A lot of the places gave up with contact tracing because numbers were so high.  I don't know I guess I just don't trust it still because I don't feel like there is enough tracing going on. 

Not to derail about testing, but to address this quote about transmission--

Re no known in-school transmission, I can only speak of my own experience in the school where I work closely with this, and am privy to the data. I feel pretty good saying we've had NO KNOWN in school transmission. We've had a couple cases of coach to athlete transmission (that threw about 50 kids in Q) over the summer.  We do actually contact trace EVERY case we hear about, as the county health department is more than swamped. There are definitely cases of unknown transmission, but most seem to be in-family transmission, often from a parent. The unrelated student transmission we've seen has come from social gatherings outside of school. We've traced 391 "events" involving about 800 kids who were either positive, close contacts, or symptomatic and excluded from school until cleared. In our school social distancing, mask wearing, daily questionnaire are enforced, desks are cleaned before sitting in them (and possibly when leaving?). The school upgraded the HVAC, uses some kind of electrostatic or UV or ? disinfecting method on top of regular surface cleaning, all kids are required to participate in population screening/saliva screening weekly. The latter I actually have my doubts about as statistically we should be getting more positives based on our zipcode metrics/positivity rates. But it's still an extra measure and we've kept a few asymptomatic positive kids out of the building. And our schedule is such that the kids are in school 2 days in a row out of every two weeks, so they are out of school a lot more than they are in the building. 

I was VERY doubtful about reopening, but now feel fine about our in-person learning with our mitigation strategies. (Ok, except for times like this week when we know we have many families lying about travel/social gatherings on the daily questionnaire, and not staying home as requested...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karen A said:

Not to derail about testing, but to address this quote about transmission--

Re no known in-school transmission, I can only speak of my own experience in the school where I work closely with this, and am privy to the data. I feel pretty good saying we've had NO KNOWN in school transmission. We've had a couple cases of coach to athlete transmission (that threw about 50 kids in Q) over the summer.  We do actually contact trace EVERY case we hear about, as the county health department is more than swamped. There are definitely cases of unknown transmission, but most seem to be in-family transmission, often from a parent. The unrelated student transmission we've seen has come from social gatherings outside of school. We've traced 391 "events" involving about 800 kids who were either positive, close contacts, or symptomatic and excluded from school until cleared. In our school social distancing, mask wearing, daily questionnaire are enforced, desks are cleaned before sitting in them (and possibly when leaving?). The school upgraded the HVAC, uses some kind of electrostatic or UV or ? disinfecting method on top of regular surface cleaning, all kids are required to participate in population screening/saliva screening weekly. The latter I actually have my doubts about as statistically we should be getting more positives based on our zipcode metrics/positivity rates. But it's still an extra measure and we've kept a few asymptomatic positive kids out of the building. And our schedule is such that the kids are in school 2 days in a row out of every two weeks, so they are out of school a lot more than they are in the building. 

I was VERY doubtful about reopening, but now feel fine about our in-person learning with our mitigation strategies. (Ok, except for times like this week when we know we have many families lying about travel/social gatherings on the daily questionnaire, and not staying home as requested...)

Your school sounds like they are doing a great job with the circumstance.  I am not sure that all schools are operating that way.  I haven't heard that our schools are doing as much.  I know the colleges have more protocols with testing students.

My son’s private high school offers both distance and in-person school. The distance kids are required to come in for final exams. If they wish, they can take the exams in a private room or in the classroom. It’s a small school, about 250 students, with about 25 cases of Covid so far. They are pretty strict on masking and say that contact tracing has shown that transmission has not occurred in the classroom, but during lunch, extracurricular activities and in the community. 

Not only have there been many cases directly linked to schools, but there have been cases directly linked by contact tracers to school based testing:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/12/09/covid-bloomfield-hills-high-school-student-sat-test/6494743002/

Yes, some schools are doing a better job than others. There's still a big risk. Pretending otherwise is burying one's head in the sand.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, mommyoffive said:

I am wondering what if other states are doing in person student testing?

My kids attend a virtual public school.  Normal years they do in person testing once a year.  They didn't do it last year as it is usually in April.  They have it on the schedule to do it this year.   I know it is months off, but I am freaked about it.  Not about the testing, but because of Covid.  Ugh.  

My state wasn't doing in-person anything.  I assumed it would be all year, but a neighboring county plans to open for hybrid school soon. I'm curious to see how it plays out.  It would be a good year to skip it.  

Our governor has said that they will be testing this year, but I have my doubts that it will actually happen.  Like Farrar, I would bet that the new Secretary of Ed will give blanket waivers to ESSA-required testing this year.  And it becomes a whole lot more difficult to justify spending many weeks and millions of dollars on these tests if they're not necessary to get federal money.

I do wonder about the contracts with the testing companies, though -- specifically, under what circumstances states still have to pay if the tests are canceled.  There is an awfully cozy relationship between these companies and some of the decision makers that IMNSHO should never be underestimated as a potential factor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Thanks for this piece. I chose the laughing emoji, but crying would seriously have been just as appropriate.

Our state was in agreement with Pa before this latest announcement from Biden, anyway. Testing will proceed in person. No word yet on how they're going to handle social distancing.

Ugh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

At least they allow state testing to be delayed to summer or fall. Locally the teachers can get vaccinated starting from end of February so doing state testing in fall seems feasible. 

DS16 did the California state testing online anyway in 4th grade so it shouldn’t be too hard to do online state testing at home if the state just want to check that testing box. 

• Like 1

Ugh, our is still going on.  So now a I am going to try and get them out.  Is it true that the school can lose funding if certain percentage of people opt out? 

My oldest is supposed to take the ACT Aspire.  Would you still opt out if your kid was supposed to take that one?  I feel bad because I am sure it is good practice.   Normally I don't have a huge issue with the tests.  Not that I think it is the best indicator of learning or best use of time. 

The only testing I know about right now is SAT.  Our school is requiring all juniors to sit for it in person this month.  (This includes juniors who have opted for virtual learning all year.  For those who really can't be present, I'm not sure what they do ... perhaps they have to find ways to take the test apart from the school, like we all did as teens.)  The school is closed that day to everyone who isn't a junior.  So only about a fifth of the school's student capacity will be filled.

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh, our is still going on.  So now a I am going to try and get them out.  Is it true that the school can lose funding if certain percentage of people opt out? 

My oldest is supposed to take the ACT Aspire.  Would you still opt out if your kid was supposed to take that one?  I feel bad because I am sure it is good practice.   Normally I don't have a huge issue with the tests.  Not that I think it is the best indicator of learning or best use of time.

I looked up ACT Aspire, and it says it's online with a paper and pencil option.  Could this be done at home?

In normal times, our library offers SAT practice tests and coaching starting in 9th grade.  With Covid, that's not happening now.  I hope it gets going again soon, because I was really looking forward to this useful but risk-free opportunity for my girls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

I looked up ACT Aspire, and it says it's online with a paper and pencil option.  Could this be done at home?

In normal times, our library offers SAT practice tests and coaching starting in 9th grade.  With Covid, that's not happening now.  I hope it gets going again soon, because I was really looking forward to this useful but risk-free opportunity for my girls.

Do you have a link for that?