Menu

NY State Assembly Bill A3272/A1317 Enforcement Mechanism for Non-public School Educational Standards

*Jessica*

Ooof!  I received notification today of the reintroduction of Assembly Bill A3272, now listed as A1317 regarding an “enforcement mechanism for non-public school educational standards” which includes homeschooling.  The changes include this addition:

IN  THE  COURSE OF THE INVESTIGATION, THE DEPARTMENT
 MAY, DURING ANY REASONABLE HOUR, CONDUCT UNANNOUNCED  SCHOOL  VISITS  AT
 THE  NON-PUBLIC  SCHOOL  TO  OBSERVE  INSTRUCTION. THE VISITATIONS SHALL
 INCLUDE OBSERVATION OF CLASSROOMS, DISCUSSIONS  WITH  SCHOOL  STAFF  AND
 STUDENTS,  AND  REVIEW  OF  CURRICULUM  DOCUMENTS. THE NON-PUBLIC SCHOOL
 AUTHORITIES SHALL NOT REFUSE ACCESS TO THE DEPARTMENT FOR THE PURPOSE OF
 A VISITATION PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION.

I actually support some oversight of homeschooling, but I am not ok with a law that says this can happen if a written complaint is made that instruction is not “substantially equivalent to the public school district.”  

Just thought I should bring it to the attention of other NYers.  

Edited by *Jessica*
Link
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

52 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Homeschooling is not “a non public school” in NY I’m pretty sure. We don’t file as a “non public school” like in some states. I think that’s talking about private schools not homeschooling.

Did you click the link?  Homeschooling is very clearly included.  ETA~ I mean, I hope I’m wrong, but that’s certainly how I read it.  

2021-2022 Regular Sessions

I N  A S S E M B L Y

January 8, 2021

Introduced by M. of A. ZEBROWSKI, GLICK -- read once and referred to the
   Committee on Education

AN  ACT  to amend the education law, in relation to required instruction
   in non-public schools

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND  ASSEM-
 BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section  1.  Paragraph  (i)  of  subdivision  2 of section 3204 of the
 education law, as amended by section 1 of part SSS of chapter 59 of  the
 laws of 2018, is amended to read as follows:
   (i)  Instruction  may  be  given  only  by a competent teacher. In the
 teaching of the subjects of  instruction  prescribed  by  this  section,
 English  shall be the language of instruction, and text-books used shall
 be written in English, except that for a period of  three  years,  which
 period  may  be  extended by the commissioner with respect to individual
 pupils, upon application therefor by the appropriate school authorities,
 to a period not in excess of six years, from the date of  enrollment  in
 school,  pupils who, by reason of foreign birth or ancestry have limited
 English proficiency, shall be provided with  instructional  programs  as
 specified  in  subdivision  two-a of this section and the regulations of
 the commissioner. The purpose of providing such pupils with  instruction
 shall  be  to enable them to develop academically while achieving compe-
 tence in the English language. Instruction given to  a  minor  elsewhere
 than  at  a  public school shall be at least substantially equivalent to
 the instruction given to minors of  like  age  and  attainments  at  the
 public schools of the city or district where the SCHOOL IS LOCATED OR IF
 HOME-SCHOOLED, WHERE THE minor resides.

Bolding and underlining by me.

Edited by *Jessica*
  • Sad 1

Hmm ugh well that sucks. But we do already have to provide “an education substantial to a public school” at least to get an equivalency letter at graduation.

I don’t see home inspections happening though. There’s no money or people to do it

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

I don't see enforcement of homeschoolers - outside of an ACS call, anyway - as a likely issue in NYS. I'm pretty sure this law was passed to get more control specifically over ultra-Orthodox yeshivas that barely even touch on a secular education, and they tossed in the other stuff so nobody could claim it had an anti-Semitic focus.

• Like 3

Since home schools are only mentioned in one part and the rest doesn't seem applicable, I wonder if there was some cut and paste from another law. It does seem like something that should be addressed. I'm sure there are some people who think families homeschool should be subject to unannounced visits to their bedrooms/living room sofas/wherever, but I don't it's wide spread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

I don't see enforcement of homeschoolers - outside of an ACS call, anyway - as a likely issue in NYS. I'm pretty sure this law was passed to get more control specifically over ultra-Orthodox yeshivas that barely even touch on a secular education, and they tossed in the other stuff so nobody could claim it had an anti-Semitic focus.

Yeah, I'll worry if anyone actually bothers to use this. 

As is, we submit one sentence quarterly reports and no one cares. They have a small office working on homeschooling, I think, and I don't think they investigate much of anything. 

I know people talk about NY being a "high regulation" state, but what we do right now is submit a summary of what we'll do at the beginning of the year, then one sentence quarterly reports. As a fraction of the work I have to do homeschooling... it's about 0.01%. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, I'll worry if anyone actually bothers to use this. 

As is, we submit one sentence quarterly reports and no one cares. They have a small office working on homeschooling, I think, and I don't think they investigate much of anything. 

I know people talk about NY being a "high regulation" state, but what we do right now is submit a summary of what we'll do at the beginning of the year, then one sentence quarterly reports. As a fraction of the work I have to do homeschooling... it's about 0.01%. 

I get my quarterly reports sent back for revision if I write anything less than a paragraph. 😳

Every now and then NY comes up with a law like this and then backtracks claiming it doesn’t apply to homeschoolers.  I agree it’s targeting the ultra orthodox yeshivas that aren’t teaching anything outside religious studies and some private schools that(in my area) take Waldorf to an extreme and the kids enter 9th grade and the public  high schools barely able to read.

• Like 1

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I get my quarterly reports sent back for revision if I write anything less than a paragraph. 😳

Every now and then NY comes up with a law like this and then backtracks claiming it doesn’t apply to homeschoolers.  I agree it’s targeting the ultra orthodox yeshivas that aren’t teaching anything outside religious studies and some private schools that(in my area) take Waldorf to an extreme and the kids enter 9th grade and the public  high schools barely able to read.

Probably depends on the local people doing it, I guess! They might be swamped where I am, lol. Or maybe it's cause my kids are so young? Dunno. 

18 minutes ago, Starr said:

I'm years out but even back then our district didn't have the personnel to keep up with homeschool records. 

Local districts all use someone at Boces now.  She takes the time to actually read them.  She definitely requires more than the minimal amount of info some people tried to pass off, but I think she’s very reasonable.  I can imagine districts using her or someone in a similar position that they all contract out to.  She would have a big job policing the entire Buffalo area though!   

• Like 2