Menu

What kind of pots and pans do you have?

mommyoffive

23 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I had seen that on the de Buyer site, but it had not registered in my PEA BRAIN what is was for! Well thanks, that makes sense, it's a wok by any other name. That youtube guy seemed to think using the pro version on electric smoothtop could work, that it wouldn't warp. And really, I was looking at my stuff and realizing most of my clad/ply stuff (all cheap) had NOT warped. Only that one ill fated Calphalon. And that really could have been due to user abuse, like plunging it into a sink and running cold water on it. (don't ask)

So have you used this mineral B country fry pan in either iteration? Like? Indeed, I was looking at clad (shh) woks on amazon. They sort of popped up, so I just looked. I haven't watched all the reviews yet. I would have assumed clad would be genius for a wok if you're moving away from carbon steel. But I can still see where carbon steel might be better. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHMTW18/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1  This is the baby wok I found, analon triply clad. At $50 it didn't seem like too serious a commitment, but I didn't order it yet. If the Mineral B *pro* would survive my stove, I'd assume it's the better pan. It's also around the same size, really great for feeding 1-3 people.

I don't have a Country fryer. My pot collection is pretty massive and I've tried to show restraint on adding more. But I love carbon steel and I've lusted for one of these Country Fry shaped pans for some time.

I do have an All Clad in a wok shape. It is the least used item in my collection and I almost forgot I owned it. I just pulled it down from the back of the rack to clean up and use today. Virtually unused despite being 25 years old (at least). Ply is not genius for high heat cooking in my estimation. Good for "clean" cooking (sauces, etc) but for cranking up the heat to "stir fry" intensity, I'd go carbon steel.

My very favorite pan in my collection has sloped (semi-wok-like) sides. It is a Bourgeat copper/stainless saucier. Here is a link to an internet photo:  https://www.curatedcook.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Matfer-Bourgeat-Saucier-scaled.jpg

Sadly, these have become very expensive. My most used pan by far. I'd still go carbon steel over this pan for high heat cooking.

Bill

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Are you using it on electric or gas?

I see what you mean! That IS very nice!!

Yup, I'm definitely thinking hard here before I buy anything. And turns out I need to go to the big city, so I suddenly have an excuse to do some hands on investigation. :biggrin:

LOL 

Yup that's what I'm thinking. And I'm going to try to hit WS, Sur la Table, etc. and actually see these things. I think, like you're saying, I'm going to want some conservative sizes. 

If you do that, do they get black bits? Well interesting. Honestly my cast iron has just sat in my drawers for a while. I got into a run where I only was cooking cornbread in it. I used to do eggs a lot, and then I got the hodgepodge collection of little skillets and didn't need to. I was watching an ATK video comparing Le Creuset and regular cast iron, and I didn't realize some of that searing I was thinking about, like fish, could be done in cast iron. So that's a whole school of thought I can explore. I've literally just put everything in the oven. And I have some reasonably good techniques, but they're not swank. Like hang it up on fish tacos, which I LOVE. I always eat those out, and it's pathetic because it sounds like you just cook the fish on the stove and boom. 

So then it's basic questions like for fish tacos would it be better to use cast iron (which in theory ought to work) or a good SS skillet? Seems to me the SS, but who knows. 

I definitely think I'm gonna keep baking my pot stickers. They're fine if you put them on parchment and spray them. I'm sure the right way is better, lol. 

Ooo, that sounds very nice! I had wanted to take a cruise out of Long Beach before the shut down, sigh. Maybe some year when that state is sane again we can make it out and eat very authentic chinese. That would be fun. Of course, I have no clue if San Fran and LB are close, but there are probably more places.

Very good! 

I'm gonna make a trip to the big city and find out for myself! :biggrin:

So what do you cook in this? 

If you want "sear" then consider carbon steel. It is very similar to cast iron, but with less mass. Again, what I call "dirty" cooking. Stainless ply is great for "clean' cooking, but for searing? No.

I've also taken to using a flamethrower (aka a "weed-burner" from Harbor Freight) that attacked to a bbq-style propane tank to "sear" in recent years. Meat cooked Sous Vide looks palid after the sealed water bath, so it needs searing. On fair days I'll put meat in a carbon steel pan then head outside and blast both sides with the flamethrower to put on a char quickly. Too fun!

As to the caldron-like Potjie pot they are good for any type dish on might make in a slow cooker. But on campouts--even backyard campouts--I try to do one pot meals. In South Africa (where I have never been and have no familiar relationships) they also call the dishes made in these pots "potjie" and there are all sorts of recipes online. The idea is to build the fire then let the food cook all day (with coals on top of the lid too). Like a slow cooker. Not the most "practical" tool for everyday cooking, but very romantic and perfect for cooking on a campfire. 

Bill

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

My very favorite pan in my collection has sloped (semi-wok-like) sides. It is a Bourgeat copper/stainless saucier. Here is a link to an internet photo:  https://www.curatedcook.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Matfer-Bourgeat-Saucier-scaled.jpg

We're seeing a theme here with the AC Essentials, the MB Saucier... I think my life is probably a bit lower maintenance right now than to get copper. I'm probably more in self maintenance, not pot maintenance, mode right now, lol. But still, very interesting. Thanks for sharing! And yes, I can see what you mean that it's easy to accumulate things you don't use. I'm probably going to prune some things down and choose very carefully. I like my drawer system already, so I don't really want to expand a *lot*, just intelligently, in ways that add function.

Again, what I call "dirty" cooking. Stainless ply is great for "clean' cooking, but for searing? No.

Ahh. 

In South Africa (where I have never been and have no familiar relationships) they also call the dishes made in these pots "potjie" and there are all sorts of recipes online.

Duh, slipped my mind. So I'm googling this and they're making lamb stew. Kinda makes me wonder why I haven't done this with deer. We always have tons of it in the freezer, mercy.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/food/recipes/lamb-potjie-recipe/  Just looking at this recipe, it seems like the majority of the flavor comes from the red wine, yes? And are they cooking it without a lid and getting the smoke from the fire in? You said you put yours in with a lid and put coals in. The winter equivalent could be baking in the oven with le creuset. The worse hack would be the instant pot. Or even a slow cooker.

I try to cook something dreadful with red meat once a week to keep my man happy. The rest of the time, it's split pea soup, my healthy stuff, hahahaha.

13 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ahh. 

Duh, slipped my mind. So I'm googling this and they're making lamb stew. Kinda makes me wonder why I haven't done this with deer. We always have tons of it in the freezer, mercy.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/food/recipes/lamb-potjie-recipe/  Just looking at this recipe, it seems like the majority of the flavor comes from the red wine, yes? And are they cooking it without a lid and getting the smoke from the fire in? You said you put yours in with a lid and put coals in. The winter equivalent could be baking in the oven with le creuset. The worse hack would be the instant pot. Or even a slow cooker.

I try to cook something dreadful with red meat once a week to keep my man happy. The rest of the time, it's split pea soup, my healthy stuff, hahahaha.

Does venison get tender with low-slow stewing/braising? 

I have never seen potjie done with the lid off--but I'm not the expert on this. I always stew with the lid on (and put embers on the lid) which I believe is traditional.

Any dish that works in a Dutch oven (or a slow cooker) is good for a potjie pot. The more modern options are more convenient, but the potjie makes one feel like one is out on the veldt enjoying the wild. LOL.

Bill

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

We're seeing a theme here with the AC Essentials, the MB Saucier... I think my life is probably a bit lower maintenance right now than to get copper. I'm probably more in self maintenance, not pot maintenance, mode right now, lol. But still, very interesting. Thanks for sharing! And yes, I can see what you mean that it's easy to accumulate things you don't use. I'm probably going to prune some things down and choose very carefully. I like my drawer system already, so I don't really want to expand a *lot*, just intelligently, in ways that add function.

My (potentially beautiful) copper pot is black.

I decided a long time ago that I could either not use my copper cookware, hire a staff, or just use the heck out of it and not care how it looks. I went with the last option.

I positively love my Bourgeat saucier. Not many dinners are cooked by me where I don't employ this pan. I wish they'd not become so expensive. All the pans in the Bourgeat set that I have, I love. The saucier is tops.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I have never seen potjie done with the lid off--but I'm not the expert on this. I always stew with the lid on (and put embers on the lid) which I believe is traditional.

Any dish that works in a Dutch oven (or a slow cooker) is good for a potjie pot. The more modern options are more convenient, but the potjie makes one feel like one is out on the veldt enjoying the wild. LOL.

Bill

Yes, I would think so. I usually throw it in a pressure cooker. Squirrel is more of a crap shoot, but deer is pretty dependable. Thinking my guy would love this, so earthy, a pot of potatoes and meat. :biggrin:

My (potentially beautiful) copper pot is black.

Whoa, are you for real? Well thanks for keeping it real here, lol. Is that hard on the metal? Or it gets that patina and comes to a happy place?

I positively love my Bourgeat saucier. Not many dinners are cooked by me where I don't employ this pan. I wish they'd not become so expensive. All the pans in the Bourgeat set that I have, I love. The saucier is tops.

I think I'm seeing it in sizes. You're at 11"? 9 ½" 

What's your favorite thing to make in this?

If it's not too embarrassing, can we see what this patinaed beauty looks like? :wub:

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Whoa, are you for real? Well thanks for keeping it real here, lol. Is that hard on the metal? Or it gets that patina and comes to a happy place?

I think I'm seeing it in sizes. You're at 11"? 9 ½" 

What's your favorite thing to make in this?

If it's not too embarrassing, can we see what this patinaed beauty looks like? :wub:

Not hard on the metal in the least. I have many copper Bourgeat pieces and have--on occasion--cleaned them up to bare copper. It is a chore. Use them one time and one can see the marks left by the gas flames (subtle, but undeniable). And downhill from there. 

I'm confused by the sizing (and have been in the past). It is 10 inches across the top and takes a lid that's approx 10.5".  How the French measure things (like many other aspects of their culture) is beyond me.

I use this pan for everything except high-heat searing. Great for sauteing greens and other vegetables and nice for all sorts of sauces. My very favorite pan.

Here is a requested picture of the black bottom. No shame in this. This pan has been used heavy over 20 years. Being black doesn't bother me in the slightest. These pans are beasts. I use them. Don't care if they get "ugly." I know what's underneath. LOL.

Bill

Olgytsi.jpg

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Yes, I would think so. I usually throw it in a pressure cooker. Squirrel is more of a crap shoot, but deer is pretty dependable. Thinking my guy would love this, so earthy, a pot of potatoes and meat. :biggrin:

I'm very "suggestable," and a hopeless romantic, so a potjie meal cooked over a fire always has a special quality.

Bill 

• Like 1

Not hard on the metal in the least. I have many copper Bourgeat pieces and have--on occasion--cleaned them up to bare copper. It is a chore. Use them one time and one can see the marks left by the gas flames (subtle, but undeniable). And downhill from there. 

I'm confused by the sizing (and have been in the past). It is 10 inches across the top and takes a lid that's approx 10.5".  How the French measure things (like many other aspects of their culture) is beyond me.

I use this pan for everything except high-heat searing. Great for sauteing greens and other vegetables and nice for all sorts of sauces. My very favorite pan.

Here is a requested picture of the black bottom. No shame in this. This pan has been used heavy over 20 years. Being black doesn't bother me in the slightest. These pans are beasts. I use them. Don't care if they get "ugly." I know what's underneath. LOL.

Bill

Olgytsi.jpg

That is definitely black!! 

8 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

The best venison I've had has been a Springbok venison potje.  It cooked for at least 8 hours and was served on a safari trip.  The food was excellent, but the setting even better.  The hosts set a wonderful long-table on a hill overlooking the bush.  Just amazing.

The potjie lid is only lifted towards the end of the cooking time to reduce the liquid if required.  Any slow-cooking stew recipe will work.  In our area there is an annual potjie-kos (potjie-food) competition at the local school fair where people try all kinds of recipes from venison, beef, lamb and chicken to lasagne.  My husband makes a mean ox-tail potjie and my dad used to make a great pot-bread on the fire.  Seafood works too.  We visited friends at the coast recently and were served meal that they had foraged completely themselves.  The starter was a mussel potjie.

• Like 2