Menu

Checking in... Anxiety about current events

Katy

On 1/9/2021 at 8:11 PM, regentrude said:

Why? 

There is absolutely nothing any of us can do about any of the crap that is happening. Obsessing over hourly developments does not do any good - what do you do with that information?. Checking once or twice a day gives you all you need to know.

My daughter lives near the capitol.  I feel like I need to know what's happening in case I need to stage an extraction.  This is probably overkill, and she is a grown woman, but I worry that the sense of invincibility you enjoy in your 20s might cause a delay in her getting out of town if necessary.  I'm prepared to bully my adult child and I'm fine with her getting out of town just to humor me.  I wonder if I can con her into a mid-week trip home on Inauguration day? Hmmmm . . .

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

My daughter lives near the capitol.  I feel like I need to know what's happening in case I need to stage an extraction.  This is probably overkill, and she is a grown woman, but I worry that the sense of invincibility you enjoy in your 20s might cause a delay in her getting out of town if necessary.  I'm prepared to bully my adult child and I'm fine with her getting out of town just to humor me.  I wonder if I can con her into a mid-week trip home on Inauguration day? Hmmmm . . .

I would be very frightened if my kid lived there.

57 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don't blame you one bit.  It must be incredibly frightening for you given how close she is the the capitol. 

13 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If anyone has mental energy to spare good thoughts or prayers for fire fighters and communities in the south of south Australia tonight it would be appreciated 

I know everyone has so much mental load right now so understand if that’s not possible.

Praying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think she's pretty safe, but I'd probably still ask her to come home, to give yourself peace of mind?  Say that it's not that you don't trust her, but that you'll sleep better?  I think she's pretty safe there, but I think that having her close will make you feel better.  

Also, she's a first year teacher isn't she?  First year teaching is really hard.  First year teaching that includes explaining insurrection to kids who live near the Capitol, and who you can't reach out and hug when they get upset?  That's really hard.  Heck, doing it as a veteran teacher isn't easy!  Coming home to let you pamper her while she's taking on this enormously important task makes sense to me.  

• Like 7

If I were you, I'd get her out the day before. Transportation might be rough day of.  Locally this summer we had protests spill out onto the interstates (on purpose, to block traffic) and our trains and public transport were shut down.  

Who knows what's going to happen, but I just wanted to share that as we got trapped on the wrong side of town this summer unexpectedly and it was a PITA.  We started staying home on days when we knew major protests were going to happen.

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the prayers for those involved in fires here.  Much better day to day and although it’s not fully controlled it’s down to an advice level.  There was stock loss and possibly some machinery and structures but no human lives and likely no homes lost thankfully.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I just read on CNN that the FBI has credible info that all 50 state capitols have been targeted for armed protests.  Threats against Biden and Harris and Pelosi and especially threats of violence if the 25th amendment is invoked.

I hope she will leave the city.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think she's pretty safe, but I'd probably still ask her to come home, to give yourself peace of mind?  Say that it's not that you don't trust her, but that you'll sleep better?  I think she's pretty safe there, but I think that having her close will make you feel better.  

If it were me, I'd offer for her to come home (on my dime), but I would do my best not to ask her to come home.  They have to make their own best decisions, not the ones that make us feel better. 

Yes, I do have daughters in that age range, and both have made decisions that did not result in me sleeping better at night, lol. It's the hard bit about parenting young adults. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I am generally sad when people delete their accounts, but I don't think this space is healthy for her at all. 

IDK. Our forum is unusual, I think, for its thoughtful, useful, and generally pleasant discussions. I'm glad she was able to come here for some good information, especially regarding covid. I also feel like we were able to help her work through (or at least commiserate with her over) frustrations with her church. 

She has a lot of anxiety, to be sure, but many of us are struggling. If she found any encouragement here, and I think she did, I wish she would have stayed. 

My memory is not as sharp as it could be, but I don't recall her being nasty or hostile or deliberately stirring up trouble. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Just now, MercyA said:

My memory is not as sharp as it could be, but I don't recall her being nasty or hostile or deliberately stirring up trouble. 🤷‍♀️

Not at all. It just seemed to send her into spirals of despair, because people here are pretty blunt about the fallibility of other humans, and it made her feel hopeless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

IDK. Our forum is unusual, I think, for its thoughtful, useful, and generally pleasant discussions. I'm glad she was able to come here for some good information, especially regarding covid. I also feel like we were able to help her work through (or at least commiserate with her over) frustrations with her church. 

She has a lot of anxiety, to be sure, but many of us are struggling. If she found any encouragement here, and I think she did, I wish she would have stayed. 

I think she made the decision in the past to leave the forum because it wasn’t good for her mental health being here - she needs real life contact.  Because that’s so difficult with the pandemic I think she’s tried the forum again but I’m assuming it wasn’t working well for her/ becoming too difficult upsetting.  I don’t know her personally just from various comments made on the forum over the years.  I think everyone here really wishes her well and hopes she can get the support she needs to stay mentally as healthy and happy as it’s possible to in this crazy year.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I just read on CNN that the FBI has credible info that all 50 state capitols have been targeted for armed protests.  Threats against Biden and Harris and Pelosi and especially threats of violence if the 25th amendment is invoked.

And someone fired shots in the Oregon courthouse?  Or was that just a rumour.  Maybe we need another thread for discussing what’s happening because I’m not sure if a thread about managing anxiety about current events is the best place for updates about said current events.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

She hasn't done this but at this point she has created multiple accounts, deliberately ignores posts that don't line up with how she wants to steer a convo, and stirs up other people's anxieties when they talk to her.  She is a troll.  She might not mean to be but she is and I think the forum would be better if people didn't engage with her when she decides to come back, which she will

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 12:21 PM, historically accurate said:

Yes, it's solely reporting conservative "celebrities" saying they have lost thousands of followers. I found 2 more stories on it this morning (both very similar to the one I posted yesterday). Both (Washington Examiner & Daily Caller) show as "Right Bias" on mediabiasfactcheck, as does the link I posted yesterday. I have seen neither Twitter talking about banning users nor have I found on any other social media site any person saying they were banned in the last 3 days. 

As I found a very, very similar article dated in August, I'm wondering if it is a periodic conspiracy coupled with conservatives deactivating themselves.

Bethben, who originally said non-confrontational conservatives were being banned, has not chosen to come back to this thread, so I don't know that we'll ever get a definitive answer as to what she meant. 

Ron Paul (not his son, Rand) was blocked from posting on Facebook because of this article.  

I cannot find anything in this article that would go against FB's community standards. He certainly wasn't inciting violence. 

It's really bizarre because they didn't take the article down. 

"With no explanation other than "repeatedly going against our community standards," @Facebook has blocked me from managing my page. Never have we received notice of violating community standards in the past and nowhere is the offending post identified. pic.twitter.com/EdMyW9gufa

Personally, I don't feel anxious. Depressed. I'm very saddened that several of my friends that I thought would know better have fallen for the most recent conspiracy theories. It's just so depressing. On a positive note my dh deleted his Twitter account after I yelled at him for playing a video from OAN about "COVID deaths really aren't caused by COVID blah blah". He was mad at first but after I explained why it bothered me so much, he agreed. Earlier he had shown me a video that a friend sent him about the latest conspiracy theory. This friend BELIEVED it and thought he was doing my husband a favor. My husband is NOT a conspiracy theorist, but he does tend to stay in his conservative echo chamber (on Twitter). So when he played me that clip from OAN, I freaked out on him--because that's the sort of crap that fuels conspiracy theories. It's also very depressing that it ((feels))) like all Republicans an evangelical Xtians are being painted with the same broad brush. 

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, popmom said:

Ron Paul (not his son, Rand) was blocked from posting on Facebook because of this article.  

I cannot find anything in this article that would go against FB's community standards. He certainly wasn't inciting violence. 

"With no explanation other than "repeatedly going against our community standards," @Facebook has blocked me from managing my page. Never have we received notice of violating community standards in the past and nowhere is the offending post identified. pic.twitter.com/EdMyW9gufa

Yeah, I don't know why he'd get removed for that. Seems weird. I assume people are feeling a little trigger-happy right now about blocking people and are also worried about further trouble (which this kind of essay does incite, if not explicitly.) But that's not a good reason. 

I am personally offended by this essay's comparisons with Soviet dissidents, although I'm sure lots of Russians I know are making them, too. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Unfortunately it won’t be anything new here. We’ve had months of armed “end the pandemic mandates” and/ or “stop the steal” protests. The violence does seem to be escalating though, as now they no longer seem to see the police as being on their side.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Frances said:

Unfortunately it won’t be anything new here. We’ve had months of armed “end the pandemic mandates” and/ or “stop the steal” protests. The violence does seem to be escalating though, as now they no longer seem to see the police as being on their side.

Good grief. Where do you live? I really hate this for you! I live in the supposed "backward south" and we've had none of this. And I've been to Walmarts all over this state from a northernmost county to the southernmost county and many, many in between. (Yes, I've made some road trips--half out of necessity--half for leisure) 100% mask compliance. And no end the mask mandate protests. I mean...I know people here who disagree with the mask mandate, but they comply. So this blows my mind. I am truly sorry you are experiencing this. I would be even more depressed than I already am. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, popmom said:

Good grief. Where do you live? I really hate this for you! I live in the supposed "backward south" and we've had none of this. And I've been to Walmarts all over this state from a northernmost county to the southernmost county and many, many in between. (Yes, I've made some road trips--half out of necessity--half for leisure) 100% mask compliance. And no end the mask mandate protests. I mean...I know people here who disagree with the mask mandate, but they comply. So this blows my mind. I am truly sorry you are experiencing this. I would be even more depressed than I already am. 

PNW. Plenty of militia, white supremacy, and Christian nationalism stuff here including Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer.

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/12/21/oregon-legislature-special-session-protests/

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/12/oregon-lawmakers-kick-off-third-special-session-of-2020-as-right-wing-group-protests-outside.html

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/01/08/video-oregon-capitol-mike-nearman/

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2021/01/protest-against-coronavirus-restrictions-underway-in-salem.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2021/01/2-republican-lawmakers-back-new-group-citizens-against-tyranny-which-seeks-to-defy-covid-19-regulations.html

I honestly don’t know how mask compliance is inside anywhere because I’ve only been inside dentist or doctor offices since this started. In terms of deaths and severe illness, we’ve actually done very well compared to most of the rest of the country. 

Edited by Frances
  • Sad 5

11 minutes ago, popmom said:

@Frances That is the LAST place I would have expected to see such things. I am honestly shocked. Also, in reading the first linked article it didn't even seem that the legislature was doing anything particularly controversial. 😞

It was predicted before the election.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/10/22/these-five-states-are-at-highest-risk-of-heightened-militia-activity-around-the-election/?sh=3412d09b1949

OR actually has a very racist history.

I think they were protesting all of the pandemic restrictions, including the Capitol being closed for the one day special session. It might also have included “stop the steal” stuff. There have been so many lately it’s hard to keep them all straight and conspiracies around the pandemic and the election have become pretty intertwined here, as you can often see from signs and banners at the protests.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, kand said:

My theory is that these protests may actually be MORE likely in places that lean more liberal because far right people feel more ragey in those locations because their views are not widely supported. If someone is surrounded by people who think like they do, then what’s to get angry about, you know? Whereas if you live in a place with 100% mask compliance but you think wearing a mask is like wearing a muzzle (🙄), you’re more likely to be upset and lash out than if you live somewhere where it’s easy to find people who agree with you. Just a theory. 

I can see that. Good point.

Interestingly, it hasn't happened here (violent protests) even when there was protest over George Floyd. That probably doesn't make sense--I mean if you apply the logic to that particular event. We definitely had protests--and I supported those protests. They were truly peaceful unless I just have really selective memory. 

It would make an interesting study. Why are Alabamians so constipated in expressing their convictions? Or maybe we are more tolerant of opposing viewpoints than we've been made out to be. Idk 

I just pray the peace and the constructive dialogue that we have with our neighbors (who come from many different backgrounds, races, nationalities) continues here.

ETA: I do not want to give the impression that I believe my state is some panacea. It's not. I've read the hateful and ignorant comments on local online news stories that make my blood boil.

There is still much work to be done in our state to address racial inequality, poverty, and health care. I do feel encouraged that we will get there--that most of our citizens want better--and want to do better. I want to be a part of that.

Edited by popmom

I'm also in OR, in a liberal college town. And my impression is that most Oregon cities are liberal. My impression is that these protesters are always coming from more rural areas--sometimes quite obviously, like taking over I-5 in their huge trucks to get to their protests in Portland this summer. They do not like our governor, they do not like Portland, they do not like liberals, and they are in the minority. So they like to protest and antagonize in a scary, show-of-force kind of way. When the FBI announced that there are plans for armed protests at every state capital, my thought was just, "of course." They've already been doing it (but more recently about wanting to end Covid restrictions).

• Like 7

23 hours ago, popmom said:

Personally, I don't feel anxious. Depressed. I'm very saddened that several of my friends that I thought would know better have fallen for the most recent conspiracy theories. It's just so depressing. On a positive note my dh deleted his Twitter account after I yelled at him for playing a video from OAN about "COVID deaths really aren't caused by COVID blah blah". He was mad at first but after I explained why it bothered me so much, he agreed. Earlier he had shown me a video that a friend sent him about the latest conspiracy theory. This friend BELIEVED it and thought he was doing my husband a favor. My husband is NOT a conspiracy theorist, but he does tend to stay in his conservative echo chamber (on Twitter). So when he played me that clip from OAN, I freaked out on him--because that's the sort of crap that fuels conspiracy theories. It's also very depressing that it ((feels))) like all Republicans an evangelical Xtians are being painted with the same broad brush. 

edited to add:

OP has requested we take this to another thread to keep this one on topic.  Because lots of people are replying before seeing ops post just thought I’d edit mine up here so if anyone wants to respond further to the censorship discussion please feel free to start a new thread and do it there 

Twitter did purge a lot of accounts for repeatedly sharing Qanon content.  I have literally no idea about Ron Paul so there may be no link, but is there any chance that’s what happened?

Edited by Ausmumof3

53 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Twitter did purge a lot of accounts for repeatedly sharing Qanon content.  I have literally no idea about Ron Paul so there may be no link, but is there any chance that’s what happened?

Zero chance that is what happened.  I’ll leave you all to do your own research on Paul.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

I'm not on Facebook, and I wouldn't follow him anyway - but c'mon. Every site has its own little group of malcontents who swear up and down that they're being unfairly persecuted by the mods for no good reason... and then when you actually look at their post and comment history you go "Oh. That's why they kicked you off the platform. Yup, I see it all so clearly now." I've got one right now following me around on reddit claiming that I cruelly, and in violation of his human rights, have banned him from multiple subreddits.  A nice trick, seeing as I don't moderate those subs! Surely his bannings have nothing to do with the fact that he routinely follows people around and hurls abuse at them if they object to his constant spamming!

Is Ron Paul one of these "oh so innocent" trolls? Dunno, but I do know that I never believe people who claim this until I've looked it over myself.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, popmom said:

Zero chance that is what happened.  I’ll leave you all to do your own research on Paul.

Hmm so when I’m googling him I’m seeing that he seems to have shared a lot of Covid misinformation.  Twitter have been pretty hot on that for a while so that would get him suspended.  It’s pretty easy to get a suspension - harder to get a ban.  I am much more a fan of the social media sites slapping a fact check on than deleting because unfortunately except for screen shots there’s often no evidence of what has or hasn’t been posted.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Hmm so when I’m googling him I’m seeing that he seems to have shared a lot of Covid misinformation.  Twitter have been pretty hot on that for a while so that would get him suspended.  It’s pretty easy to get a suspension - harder to get a ban.  I am much more a fan of the social media sites slapping a fact check on than deleting because unfortunately except for screen shots there’s often no evidence of what has or hasn’t been posted.

Can you link to the misinformation he has spread? I don’t follow him, but I didn’t come across any misinformation. I’d like to know. Also, it was FB who censored him...not Twitter as far as I know.

Edited by popmom

His Facebook page has videos titled “Masks do not work,”  “the weird disappearance of seasonal influenza”, “masks are all about submission”.  Without wanting to sit through more hours of that crap (I’ve fact checked enough of those videos) I’d suspect that’s what people are meaning.  

however this probably belongs on a politics board at this point.  Because this board also has rules that we have agreed to follow 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

His Facebook page has videos titled “Masks do not work,”  “the weird disappearance of seasonal influenza”, “masks are all about submission”.  Without wanting to sit through more hours of that crap (I’ve fact checked enough of those videos) I’d suspect that’s what people are meaning.  

however this probably belongs on a politics board at this point.  Because this board also has rules that we have agreed to follow 😉

I don’t see those opinions as being political even though I disagree with them at face value. I still don’t believe it warrants censorship. 

• Like 3

I also grabbed this from the last thing he linked on Twitter - I don’t believe this is correct as I’ve seen video of the crowd beating a police officer and of the destruction inside and the crowd chanting “hang Mike Pence” And the last section sounds like approval.

“It wasn’t insurrection, despite endless repetitions to that effect by mainstream and left wing media. Insurrection means, “an act or instance of rising in revolt, rebellion, or resistance against civil authority or an established government.” What we saw was not a revolt – marchers intended to influence an upcoming actions and decisions by the Congress and the Vice President. It was not a rebellion – marchers went to the accepted headquarters of the legislature to influence them, not to replace or destroy them, or steal their stuff. With the possible exception of the unarmed physical breaching of the facility by a tiny portion of the far larger crowd of demonstrators, there was no resistance to any civil authority or any established government.

If this action had taken place with force of arms, after the Senate and House had accepted the disputed electoral votes submitted by the state legislatures, in an attempt to reverse the decision or take over government, we could call it an insurrection. For those of us watching from the safety of our living rooms, the show of strength of so many Trump supporters, people who more importantly do not trust government, whether it be made up of Republicans or Democrats, was impressive. One imagines that such energy and civil disobedience could be effective in coming years, and one day we could see actual popular insurrections occurring all over the country. But that didn’t happen on January 6th.”

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I also grabbed this from the last thing he linked on Twitter - I don’t believe this is correct as I’ve seen video of the crowd bearing a police officer and of the destruction inside.   And the last section sounds like approval.

“It wasn’t insurrection, despite endless repetitions to that effect by mainstream and left wing media. Insurrection means, “an act or instance of rising in revolt, rebellion, or resistance against civil authority or an established government.” What we saw was not a revolt – marchers intended to influence an upcoming actions and decisions by the Congress and the Vice President. It was not a rebellion – marchers went to the accepted headquarters of the legislature to influence them, not to replace or destroy them, or steal their stuff. With the possible exception of the unarmed physical breaching of the facility by a tiny portion of the far larger crowd of demonstrators, there was no resistance to any civil authority or any established government.

If this action had taken place with force of arms, after the Senate and House had accepted the disputed electoral votes submitted by the state legislatures, in an attempt to reverse the decision or take over government, we could call it an insurrection. For those of us watching from the safety of our living rooms, the show of strength of so many Trump supporters, people who more importantly do not trust government, whether it be made up of Republicans or Democrats, was impressive. One imagines that such energy and civil disobedience could be effective in coming years, and one day we could see actual popular insurrections occurring all over the country. But that didn’t happen on January 6th.”

Clearly there will be those who disagree with this statement. Still, he has the right to express it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, popmom said:

I don’t see those opinions as being political even though I disagree with them at face value. I still don’t believe it warrants censorship. 

Not political they are Covid misinformation.  I believe the social media sites have all been really not on that because they were being blamed for peoples carelessness and the spread of disinformation resulting in increase of cases plus deaths.  I found also on his page that he was warned by YouTube several weeks ago for sharing Covid misinformation.  But having said that it’s probably easiest is you do your own reading/digging. 

ive said on here before that’s it’s a very kind of grey area as to social media and censorship.  What are their rights and responsibilities?  They are private companies so they get to choose what’s published on their forums.  But then they are so commonly used that that makes them quite powerful.  Of course there’s nothing to stop someone setting up a separate platform such as Parler and that seems to be happening.  It’s kind of a market regulating itself maybe.  

for one example I can’t sell chickens on Facebook.  So I have ended up with accounts on alternative sites I wouldn’t have gone to otherwise.  Millions of people are quitting Facebook and going elsewhere (and have been for a while) so they are likely losing customers over the decision.  Maybe another example of market regulating somehow?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Censorship is done by the government. Facebook is a private corporation and has the legal right to set content standards. If you don't agree with those standards, you're welcome to set up your own site on your own server that you own.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

He has the right to express it but presumably a private company has the right not to publish it.

Oh wow. I can’t go there. Not that I haven’t researched and thought this through. I just can’t go there on this forum. I’ve given up wine, but this is exactly the thing that will drive me to drink lol. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, popmom said:

Oh wow. I can’t go there. Not that I haven’t researched and thought this through. I just can’t go there on this forum. I’ve given up wine, but this is exactly the thing that will drive me to drink lol. 

Lol it’s kinda complicated hey.  A libertarian who is complaining that a private company is making their own rules and the presumably un libertarians saying that the government shouldn’t step in to regulate them... 

realistically one possible outcome from this is that Facebook/Twitter etc lose some of their sway and that might not be the worst outcome.  There are certainly various issues with social media usage. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Lol it’s kinda complicated hey.  A libertarian who is complaining that a private company is making their own rules and the presumably un libertarians saying that the government shouldn’t step in to regulate them... 

realistically one possible outcome from this is that Facebook/Twitter etc lose some of their sway and that might not be the worst outcome.  There are certainly various issues with social media usage. 

FYI parler has been completely censored due to Amazon and Apple. I don’t have an account on Parler, but I think it should exist alongside any other social media. Parler doesn’t rely on algorithms to flesh out so called hate speech or inciting violence. They have actual human beings to judge posts that have been reported. Parler welcomes all points of view. That is why it was created. I’m not promoting it. I’m just relaying what I’ve researched about it. I don’t have an account with Parler, and I don’t plan to—ever. But if what society wants is to add fuel to conspiracy theories, then by all means...censorship is the way to go.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, popmom said:

FYI parler has been completely censored due to Amazon and Apple. I don’t have an account on Parler, but I think it should exist alongside any other social media. Parler doesn’t rely on algorithms to flesh out so called hate speech or inciting violence. They have actual human beings to judge posts that have been reported. Parler welcomes all points of view. That is why it was created. I’m not promoting it. I’m just relaying what I’ve researched about it. I don’t have an account with Parler, and I don’t plan to—ever. But if what society wants is to add fuel to conspiracy theories, then by all means...censorship is the way to go.

I think again though this isn’t technically censorship it’s private companies choosing not to host something they disagree with.  Probably there will be a web hosting service that may host Parler or maybe they will build their own.  I guess the alternative is some kind of law that requires web hosting companies to host indiscriminately maybe?  

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I guess the alternative is some kind of law that requires web hosting companies to host indiscriminately maybe?  

Which would then be government-controlled media.

Really, I'm completely confused when champions of the 'free-market' cry victim when the free market does something they don't like. 

• Like 28
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think again though this isn’t technically censorship it’s private companies choosing not to host something they disagree with.  Probably there will be a web hosting service that may host Parler or maybe they will build their own.  I guess the alternative is some kind of law that requires web hosting companies to host indiscriminately maybe?  

I’m not going to go there on the “rights of private companies”. That’s a can of worms that I can’t deal with on this forum personally. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

I’m not going to go there on the “rights of private companies”. That’s a can of worms that I can’t deal with on this forum personally. 

Fair enough.  It’s not really possible to discuss without that though I don’t think because the subjects seem to be all tangled up together.  You can’t really discuss censorship on social media or boycotts or any of that without discussing rights/responsibilities of private companies.  

• Like 6

The head company officials at Parler do not have a right to be hosted on Amazon Web Services, nor do they have a right to be hosted as an app by Apple. It is completely within a company’s rights to turn away business from another company. 

Suppose someone developed an app called, “InstaKink,” where users could post and seek videos and conversation displaying sexual kinks including bestiality, children, restraints, asphyxiation, etc. Does Amazon have the right to say, “No, we will not host that site; we believe it is harmful to society and some percentage of posts may be illegal activity”. Yes, they have that right. So does any other company of any size. 

Censorship has to do with the government’s restrictions of its citizens. It does not have to do with a non-government company. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Fair enough.  It’s not really possible to discuss without that though I don’t think because the subjects seem to be all tangled up together.  You can’t really discuss censorship on social media or boycotts or any of that without discussing rights/responsibilities of private companies.  

Exactly. I’ll leave it up to you and others who are interested to research the laws. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Quill said:

It is completely within a company’s rights to turn away business from another company.

Just as it is completely within a company’s rights to turn away business from another entity that violates said company’s personal religious beliefs? Is that fair? We can’t have it both ways.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, popmom said:

Exactly. I’ll leave it up to you and others who are interested to research the laws. 

Lol already wasted an hour researching Ron Paul for you.  You could give me a head start by pointing me on the right direction 😆

and cause I’m generous I’ll share that it seems that all the Parler folk have moved to gab.  I made an account to check it out and they have a maga forum, a stop the steal forum, several qanon and patriot forums.   There’s also Brexit and Bolsanaro.  I haven’t been game to join any sub groups yet!

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3