Menu

Checking in... Anxiety about current events

Katy

I find it interesting how quickly and completely people forget events that don't line up with their opinions.

While that is scary and disappointing in some ways, it is oddly reassuring in other ways.

And no, I will not elaborate, for several reasons.  I just invite each reader to honestly ask him/herself whether this has any bearing on his/her feelings this week.  No need to respond, I would just suggest it as a thought exercise.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I haven't been able to find any first hand reports of non-confrontational conservatives who has had their account locked. But some sites are reporting their numbers of followers allegedly dropping. 

But wouldn't that make sense with all the calls for conservatives to leave Twitter and Facebook?

I've been seeing people post for a while that they were leaving Twitter and Facebook, and it ramped up big-time after the invasion of the capitol. I mean, if you tell your followers not to use Twitter, you're going to have fewer Twitter followers. 

19 hours ago, Plum said:

point is half the population has not been happy with results for awhile. 

To me, that is not the point at all. The point is very much whether or not people accept results they are unhappy with. 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Janeway said:

With all the riots, attacks, and violence that happened over the last year, I felt so much fear, anxiety, and emotional pain. I feel like what happened Jan 6 was nothing compared to the fear and pain I felt throughout 2020.  And considering the media black out in the area of the attacks on that day, I don't think we will know the truth for a long time about Jan 6, if ever. But I do not really care. What happened Jan 6 was nothing compared to the riots, violence, attacks, that happened last summer.

There was a huge amount of live-streaming going on January 6, so I wouldn't say there was a media blackout. While it will of course take time to synthesize all of the information, citizens were literally able to watch much of the protests and then invasion in real time. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, katilac said:

There was a huge amount of live-streaming going on January 6, so I wouldn't say there was a media blackout. While it will of course take time to synthesize all of the information, citizens were literally able to watch much of the protests and then invasion in real time. 

I've watched a lot of clips from both January 6th and the BLM protests. 

To me, the disturbing thing is the level of intentionality I see on January 6th. I absolutely saw bad behavior on some BLM clips, including from protesters, and I think the property damage was real and completely wrong. And I also saw people who were looting and stealing under the cover of the protests due to the chaos, and that's just disgusting, no question about it. 

But what I saw on the January 6th protests was different. Lots of people did seem to be there just to watch the show, but there was a sizable contingent who clearly had an actual plan, and that plan was definitely to break into the Capital and capture/hurt a specific set of people (Nancy Pelosi, Mike Pence, probably a few others.) 

They didn't succeed this time, but the clips I've watched recently make it clear that it was actually quite close. The reason that woman was shot is that the targets of the protesters were literally within their reach, being evacuated within plain sight. That's just... scary. 

• Like 17

26 minutes ago, katilac said:

But wouldn't that make sense with all the calls for conservatives to leave Twitter and Facebook?

I've been seeing people post for a while that they were leaving Twitter and Facebook, and it ramped up big-time after the invasion of the capitol. I mean, if you tell your followers not to use Twitter, you're going to have fewer Twitter followers. 

To me, that is not the point at all. The point is very much whether or not people accept results they are unhappy with. 

Yes, it's solely reporting conservative "celebrities" saying they have lost thousands of followers. I found 2 more stories on it this morning (both very similar to the one I posted yesterday). Both (Washington Examiner & Daily Caller) show as "Right Bias" on mediabiasfactcheck, as does the link I posted yesterday. I have seen neither Twitter talking about banning users nor have I found on any other social media site any person saying they were banned in the last 3 days. 

As I found a very, very similar article dated in August, I'm wondering if it is a periodic conspiracy coupled with conservatives deactivating themselves.

Bethben, who originally said non-confrontational conservatives were being banned, has not chosen to come back to this thread, so I don't know that we'll ever get a definitive answer as to what she meant. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Yes, it's solely reporting conservative "celebrities" saying they have lost thousands of followers. I found 2 more stories on it this morning (both very similar to the one I posted yesterday). Both (Washington Examiner & Daily Caller) show as "Right Bias" on mediabiasfactcheck, as does the link I posted yesterday. I have seen neither Twitter talking about banning users nor have I found on any other social media site any person saying they were banned in the last 3 days. 

As I found a very, very similar article dated in August, I'm wondering if it is a periodic conspiracy coupled with conservatives deactivating themselves.

Bethben, who originally said non-confrontational conservatives were being banned, has not chosen to come back to this thread, so I don't know that we'll ever get a definitive answer as to what she meant. 

The definitive answer is that there’s no credible source because it isn’t happening. People are leaving on their own out of anger that their lies and conspiracy theories are being censored. They see this as evidence the conspiracy is true.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Yes, any protest can and has turned ugly or violent.  It did definitely happen in many places this summer.   If you show up with bombs, zip tie handcuffs and nooses it's clear your intentions are not for peaceful protest.

Not to mention chanting, “Hang Mike Pence.” And building a gallows.  

What’s different here is that there appears to have been a plan.  Plan with a capital P. And some people knew the plan, and came prepared.

• Like 16

On 1/8/2021 at 1:21 PM, saraha said:

I've never been more than a check msn daily kind of news follower, but have been haunting it today. I don't know where else to look for news, but they seem to have stuff from lots of news outlets. To add to the general anxiety of current events, dd got the call this morning that her new boss and his family can't taste or smell today. She was the only one in the office wearing a mask. I am hanging on by my fingernails.

And now the other office employee can’t taste or smell. I don’t know how our relationship with them will go forward if something happens to dh because they didn’t wear masks in the office.

Edited by saraha
  • Sad 12

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

The definitive answer is that there’s no credible source because it isn’t happening. People are leaving on their own out of anger that their lies and conspiracy theories are being censored. They see this as evidence the conspiracy is true.  

I was trying to be polite/tactful as this is on the Chat Board, but yeah, I concur. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I was trying to be polite/tactful as this is on the Chat Board, but yeah, I concur. 

If we can’t use basic deduction and logic to see that Q’s conspiracy theories are lies, why are we pretending to care about classical education at all?  

This isn’t about political ideas, whether government is best local or national, or whether public or private management of institutions is best, or when the free market can best govern itself or when there needs to be regulations. Those are ideas that polite people can disagree about, and as far as I’m concerned those are the political discussions that are banned. Not discussing a crowdsourced conspiracy theory with no basis in reality whatsoever.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m wrong. 

• Like 17

I was trying to channel my anxiety about more potential craziness by being productive and doing what I could to make our house a comfort and a safe place, but that has gotten waylaid by not feeling well. My dh says it’s stress, not COVID, but im not convinced.

thanks for letting me vent here.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Seasider too said:

The gospel of Jesus Christ has always spread farther and faster in hardship than in ease. 

Do people really believe this?  I'm desperately trying to hold on to my faith right now, but I find it harder and harder to believe that God would have chosen to send his son knowing that people would make terrible choices in his name. 

I think we are going to see a mass exodus of people from Christianity as a result of this. I also am starting to believe that that's probably a good thing. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Not to mention chanting, “Hang Mike Pence.” And building a gallows.  

And beating a police officer who is already lying on the ground with a flag pole. Warning, graphic video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/kucaz0/the_moment_officer_brian_sicknick_is_dragged_into/

This video has been labeled as the moment that Officer Brian Sicknick was dragged into the crowd. However, we can't actually see who is it that they've dragged, just that they're beating him. News sources are saying that Officer Sicknick died after being beaten with a fire extinguisher.

I'm posting this here to illustrate the deliberate and vicious violence that occurred.

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 11

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

I've watched a lot of clips from both January 6th and the BLM protests. 

To me, the disturbing thing is the level of intentionality I see on January 6th. I absolutely saw bad behavior on some BLM clips, including from protesters, and I think the property damage was real and completely wrong. And I also saw people who were looting and stealing under the cover of the protests due to the chaos, and that's just disgusting, no question about it. 

And they showed up after 50 - or was it 60? - court cases were thrown out for lack of evidence, somehow still convinced that they *knew* that something illegal had occurred.

47 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I grew up in a third world country in a world where USSR was just as important as the US and wielded a lot of power. In that world, the US President regardless of party was always called leader of the free world. That was shattered on Wednesday.  The reputation of the Country as a bastion of democracy that stood as a bulwark for more than two centuries for not just America, but for the world and made it a shining country for so many from less precarious places to leave everything they know and come here was shattered on Wednesday. It left democracy itself hanging by a thread and wondering when the next coup would happen. That was what was different from all the protests before, violent and scary as they were because they did not threaten democracy itself. 

Yes, the US will seem less stable and trustworthy to other countries now, in addition to our astronomical debt levels, etc. The US dollar is currently the world's reserve currency and we enjoy a financial stability and prosperity (think exchange rates & how the US $ is always worth so much in other currencies) that we otherwise would not have. This event - along with a lot of other crap - absolutely weakens our status to continue to hold that status.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MercyA said:

And beating a police officer who is already lying on the ground with a flag pole. Warning, graphic video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/kucaz0/the_moment_officer_brian_sicknick_is_dragged_into/

There are other videos showing the participants using a flag pole to attack the media who were there filming, as well as knocking their tv cameras to the ground and kick equipment around, etc. You can hear "the media is the enemy of the people" being screamed in the background.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

19 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think we are going to see a mass exodus of people from Christianity as a result of this. I also am starting to believe that that's probably a good thing. 

I agree on both.

3 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I do think we may see exodus from American style evangelical churches.

The problem is that the ones who remain will be the most extreme. It's the milder, tempering folks who will flee (and rightly so). Hopefully there won't be enough of them left to retain any political power. Otherwise it's a really scary thing to contemplate. Note for full disclosure: I say this as someone who fled the evangelical church a couple of decades ago due to the repulsive white nationalist extremism I saw then.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, SKL said:

I find it interesting how quickly and completely people forget events that don't line up with their opinions.

While that is scary and disappointing in some ways, it is oddly reassuring in other ways.

And no, I will not elaborate, for several reasons.  I just invite each reader to honestly ask him/herself whether this has any bearing on his/her feelings this week.  No need to respond, I would just suggest it as a thought exercise.

And I offered as a thought experiment for people to think about what their lines in the sand are when it comes to leaders. And whether they consistently draw the same line regardless of party. We’ve certainly seen lots of shifting lines from our leaders over the last several years. Would that change if we as citizens each held firm to our lines regardless of which side was crossing it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Frances said:

And I offered as a thought experiment for people to think about what their lines in the sand are when it comes to leaders. And whether they consistently draw the same line regardless of party. We’ve certainly seen lots of shifting lines from our leaders over the last several years. Would that change if we as citizens each held firm to our lines regardless of which side was crossing it?

Thought experiments require people who are interested in performing them honestly. 

I am always willing to talk to people who are engaging with me in a genuine way. However, I know from experience that some people are simply not interested in considering what you're saying. Either they think the whole argument is an elaborate game with the purpose of winning, or they are simply too emotionally invested in their point of view to engage. 

I always propose thought experiments because they clarify MY OWN prejudices, of which I have many, and which have also shifted over the years. We all tend to cheer for our own team, whatever that happens to be at the time (and as I said, my "team" has changed and may very well change again.) 

But again, I do that because otherwise I can't live with myself. My conscience demands it. No one would have been able to MAKE me. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Do people really believe this?  I'm desperately trying to hold on to my faith right now, but I find it harder and harder to believe that God would have chosen to send his son knowing that people would make terrible choices in his name. 

This is a tricky question, because if you mean people who call themselves Christians but who actually never thought about it much, and if they were forced to honestly check the boxes on the main points of Jesus's teachings that they support...would discover that they're not really able to check many of them, then you are probably correct.   Also, if people's views of Christianity depend on the actions of others who might call themselves Christians instead of studying Jesus's teachings themselves, then you're probably right again.

But if you mean people who genuinely look to Christ's message themselves and earnestly try and understand it, then I don't think this will cause them to veer.  Hopefully though, it will cause them to question some of their interpretations and be open to changing.

I actually don't think the number of people fleeing their (misguided) version of Christianity today is any different than it has ever been in modern times.  Only before, people wouldn't actually consciously make that decision and make it public, as they do today.  They'd continue to go along with it in tradition and would continue to call themselves Christians because that's just what you do (back then).  

I also think the number of people who admit to be agnostics or atheists is probably not much different than before...  It's just become more acceptable to internally question these things and admit it.  I think this is a more honest path, and my own thought is that even God would appreciate the honesty.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

You should read Myth of a Christian Nation by Greg Boyd.  (It was super helpful for me!)

14 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

We all tend to cheer for our own team, whatever that happens to be at the time (and as I said, my "team" has changed and may very well change again.) 

Regarding "teams" -- I changed from a party affiliation to being an independent/unregistered voter many years ago and have found it to be very freeing in lots of ways. Like almost everyone, I of course have my leanings. But I no longer have that "rah rah my team" identity thing going on, and I think that helps with maintaining some semblance of intellectual honesty with myself as far as consistently drawing lines, or at least trying my best. And there's no con to it for me, since I live in an open primary state. I don't know, but I suspect if enough people in open primary states who are registered with a party would change to independent status it could help moderate politicians a bit.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Regarding "teams" -- I changed from a party affiliation to being an independent/unregistered voter many years ago and have found it to be very freeing in lots of ways. Like almost everyone, I of course have my leanings. But I no longer have that "rah rah my team" identity thing going on, and I think that helps with maintaining some semblance of intellectual honesty with myself as far as consistently drawing lines, or at least trying my best. And there's no con to it for me, since I live in an open primary state. I don't know, but I suspect if enough people in open primary states who are registered with a party would change to independent status it could help moderate politicians a bit.

Oh, I can't even vote, lol. Although maybe one of these years, they'll process my darn citizenship application, which has been sitting in the USCIS system forever and ever... I don't think the current chaos in the administration is working out well for those of us who applied for citizenship recently. 

Anyway, I'm not registered as anything. But it's definitely the case that one is tempted to go along with what one's friends/spouse/family are saying. And if not, then perhaps with what one's online community is saying... peer pressure is a real issue. It's hard to keep oneself honest. 

• Like 2

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

It's hard to keep oneself honest. 

Yes. And like someone else said earlier--I think it was in this thread--most people don't have much, if any, interest in even trying. The members of this board are really exceptional in lots of ways.

• Like 7

Just now, Pawz4me said:

Yes. And like someone else said earlier--I think it was in this thread--most people don't have much, if any, interest in even trying. The members of this board are really exceptional in lots of ways.

I do think one can help teach kids about it. Not that you can MAKE anyone do anything, but it's a useful way to line up one's thinking. 

• Like 3

Something that has come up for me — the couple I have talked about before, they also do not believe that the Bible or Constitution can be interpreted.

About the Constitution — the husband just repeats “we have to have an Originalist reading of the Constitution” or something like that.  He does not see that that is itself an interpretation of the Constitution.  He thinks the Originalist (or what he is told is Originalist by I presume talk radio) reading is the “right” reading and that other interpretations are just an attempt to twist the Constitution.  I have said — then why do we need a Supreme Court if it’s so evident in black-and-white?  Well — no response — just a repeat of how the Originalist reading is what we have to have.

The same with the Bible.  The interpretation he believes is “the only possible correct interpretation.”  It’s not — “an” interpretation. It’s not possible for other people to interpret differently.  It’s not possible for other people to look at the totality of scripture and come to a different conclusion about priorities or *anything at all* different than the interpretation he believes.  And he believes it because it’s what he has been taught.  No sense that totally legitimate Christians might have been taught differently on some points here and there, without that being “wrong.”

It makes him really impossible to talk to.  Just really, really impossible.  He doesn’t admit that it’s even possible to come to a different conclusion and still be “a good person.”  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Lecka said:

Something that has come up for me — the couple I have talked about before, they also do not believe that the Bible or Constitution can be interpreted.

About the Constitution — the husband just repeats “we have to have an Originalist reading of the Constitution” or something like that.  He does not see that that is itself an interpretation of the Constitution.  He thinks the Originalist (or what he is told is Originalist by I presume talk radio) reading is the “right” reading and that other interpretations are just an attempt to twist the Constitution.  I have said — then why do we need a Supreme Court if it’s so evident in black-and-white?  Well — no response — just a repeat of how the Originalist reading is what we have to have.

The same with the Bible.  The interpretation he believes is “the only possible correct interpretation.”  It’s not — “an” interpretation. It’s not possible for other people to interpret differently.  It’s not possible for other people to look at the totality of scripture and come to a different conclusion about priorities or *anything at all* different than the interpretation he believes.  And he believes it because it’s what he has been taught.  No sense that totally legitimate Christians might have been taught differently on some points here and there, without that being “wrong.”

It makes him really impossible to talk to.  Just really, really impossible.  He doesn’t admit that it’s even possible to come to a different conclusion and still be “a good person.”  

As you say, it's talk radio telling him 😛 . 

Perhaps you could actually try reading the Constitution with him, since he's so keen. See what he makes of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think many people identify more with an identity that makes them feel better than others rather than a need to love and serve others as they love and serve God. 

I think that others are just deceived people who are angry.

I’m upset too. An old mentor of mine just posted something on Facebook that indicates she’s a q-anon follower too. I am so disappointed in American Evangelicals. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

I really struggle to know how to break through that...  I have a close family member who is the same way.  No matter how logical and sensible I think I sound 😏, I just can't seem to make even a crack into their "reasoning," even though they cannot support anything they say.  In the end, I think all I can do is to try and love them and be gently honest about my own thoughts, if they give me a chance.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Frances said:

I just watched this video posted elsewhere and it actually made me feel more hopeful than anything I’ve read or heard since the events of last week. I hope it might do the same for some others.

Thank you very much for posting this.  I hadn't seen it.   He is so well spoken and I agree with you that his message is comforting and reassuring.   It couldn't have been easy for him to open up like he did and I really admire his courage in doing so.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Frances said:

I just watched this video posted elsewhere and it actually made me feel more hopeful than anything I’ve read or heard since the events of last week. I hope it might do the same for some others.

The thing that speech makes very clear is that if you go along with a conspiracy theory, YOU are the one who is going to have to live with yourself. 

ETA: it really is an inspiring speech. I don't know that I agree with him, though. I don't know that democracy is much like a sword that grows stronger by being tested. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Choirfarm3 said:

Yeah, my problem is that I know some medical professionals and/or spouses of some that believe this nonsense.  Like I said, what scares me about all of this is we are not talking about people in the sticks who never went to school. These are people with master's degrees, doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, etc.  I just don't know what to do with that.

Stop supporting them and tell them why. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

That takes real guts when you're one of the few, though. 

Then pick something that you can do. Instead of fretting about all the ways one cannot change hearts and minds, pursue the paths where you *can* make change.  You, and everyone else that is struggling, will probably feel a lot better if you do something.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If anyone has mental energy to spare good thoughts or prayers for fire fighters and communities in the south of south Australia tonight it would be appreciated 

I know everyone has so much mental load right now so understand if that’s not possible.

Praying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If anyone has mental energy to spare good thoughts or prayers for fire fighters and communities in the south of south Australia tonight it would be appreciated 

I know everyone has so much mental load right now so understand if that’s not possible.

I have been thinking of you and hope you and your family are safe

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have been thinking of you and hope you and your family are safe

Thank you so much.  Not close to us personally but some people we know who moved recently.  The warning level just dropped so really hoping things are improving.  Hopefully this weather doesn’t make it over to you.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Definitely thinking and praying here. 

• Like 2