Menu

Does this writing resource exist? What's it called and where can I purchase one?

mathmarm

I would love to buy a book(let) of premade outlines that can be used for writing lessons.

As a secondary choice, I would be willing to buy a book of model essays.

Occassionaly I can find one or two premade outlines but I would like to purchase a compilation of pre-made outlines and/or a book or essays.

Does this exist? What is it called and where can I find it?

Thank you.

13 hours ago, mathmarm said:

I would love to buy a book(let) of premade outlines that can be used for writing lessons.

For a 2nd grader??? 

Usually you want to develop narrative language and let the expository writing develop naturally and beautifully from that. https://mindwingconcepts.com/pages/methodology  Here's a link showing the stages of narrative language and the connection between narrative (what you should be working on!) and expository writing. 

We use more explicit instruction in writing structures with kids who struggle, have ADHD or SLDs, etc., but even then you usually want to pull back and let the content drive it or have the narrative language develop so then can develop those expository structures naturally. You'll see programs like IEW that use key word outlines. ZooKeeper linked for you an outlining workbook, and that's a stage they hit around 4th when they begin naturally to outline and retell essays and longer works.

If the question is what *you* as an adult can do to learn about language development and writing, well I think read widely! 

https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Revolution-Advancing-Thinking-Subjects/dp/1119364914/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=writing+revolution&qid=1610028223&sr=8-1  This might intrigue you.

https://mindwingconcepts.com/pages/methodology  This site has blogs, videos, free occasional webinars. 

https://www.amazon.com/Jensens-Format-Writing-Frode-Jensen/dp/0890519927/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3RP85ZXO6AJ6S&dchild=1&keywords=jensen+format+writing&qid=1610028408&sprefix=jensen+format+%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1  This does what you are thinking you want. I own it. There are times when that's the best way to proceed, with really formulaic, get er done instruction, but you have more options right now.

Well Trained Mind--I assume you've already read this. SWB spends a lot of time developing a case for narrative language instruction. When she first wrote this, it was novel, and now you see SLPs, schools, everyone on board with the idea that narrative language is where it's at. 

Here's start for you. Martin Cothran of Memoria Press does conference talks on writing. When you get to that more advanced writing, your *logic* instruction feeds into it. I went to a talk by him on his Aristotle books that totally made it open up for me. Not every dc gets there, but if you're wanting to learn for yourself, sure absolutely go read about it!

Basic writing instruction is woven into most grammar/english curricula. Abeka, R&S, etc. will all have it. Timberdoodle includes the Evan Moor Daily 6 Trait Writing in their grade level kits. It develops narrative language skills with engaging context. I have my ds with SLD Writing working through it. 

https://www.youtube.com/iewtv  Pudewa of IEW has lots of free stuff on his site and youtube channel. He's even doing his 12 Days of Christmas Giving right now.

Edited by PeterPan

On 1/7/2021 at 9:30 AM, PeterPan said:

https://iew.com/Christmas2020  If you hurry, you might still get his mini posters for free! Totally free, and it has the outlines you're wanting.

Unfortunately I missed the special. 😞

What was the product that was that you recommended? The link just goes to a blank page. I've looked in the store but they have hundreds of items and their product filtering is lousy. They have over 100 items for the 3-5 range alone.

10 hours ago, mathmarm said:

Unfortunately I missed the special. 😞

What was the product that was that you recommended? The link just goes to a blank page. I've looked in the store but they have hundreds of items and their product filtering is lousy. They have over 100 items for the 3-5 range alone.

I think she was talking about these:

Mini Posters | Institute for Excellence in Writing (iew.com)

On 1/7/2021 at 9:27 AM, PeterPan said:

For a 2nd grader??? 

As a writing resource for my home-school.

Thank you for all the additional thoughts and sharing your wisdom.
I am trying to both learn as much as I possible can about helping guide and direct my children to become strong writers, and am also looking to purchase resources that'll help me teach more effectively.

If there is a book of outlines with subject content already in them, then that would be wonderful. However, if such a resource doesn't exist (to the collective knowledge of the Hive) then that's alright too. I'll continue to hunt around or may even write my own series of outlines.

If you happen to be using SOTW for history, it might help you to know that the SOTW 4 modern times activity book has lots of outlines.  Over the course of the year the kids practice creating and writing from outlines.  Like all SWB's stuff, it's very carefully graded so that what starts as a simple fill-in-the-blanks in week one becomes a quality independent outline before the end of the year, and should prepare your DC for harder work like WWS (also contains lots of sample outlines, roughly one per week, as well as coaching in how to create them and write from them).

@Zoo Keeper thank you for the book you linked, that looks interesting to me too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1