Menu

Where online will we find today’s proceedings at the Capitol?

4 minutes ago, Holmesschooler said:

Honestly, I don't know why you would want to update them on anything. They don't care. They treat you like this over and over again. You, your sanity and your well being are worth more than arguing with nobodies who vomit thousands of posts per month because they have ego issues. 

Dude. Harsh. 

I actually do care about her. Challenging each other does not mean we don't care about each other. It means we do.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it was just bothering me too much and I had to come back to this. There are a lot of little digs and incendiary words, but I’m going to ignore all that and just get to the meat of the actual positi

It's depressing that anyone on this board - a board that's really, at its core, dedicated to logic and reason and self-education - can believe that the crowd was somehow made up significantly or subst

I had originally written something on this, but deleted it in favor of responding to something more relevant. But I keep coming back to this because I think the larger picture of passing the buck is s

Posted Images

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

All right, back to our regularly scheduled programming, lol. 

So... onion or ice? What do you think? 

Maybe it was fennel.  

• Haha 6
29 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

If this is really true then I’m wondering where the pledge to call out her side if they tried to do anything to thwart the results of the election went? So the president tried multiple legal (virtually none successful and the majority introduced no real evidence) and unethical (and some may still be found to be illegal) means to overturn the election results and when all of that failed, he incited his followers to storm the Capitol in order to prevent the certifying of the electoral votes.

So we have no law and order. No respect for the rule of law and all of the state election officials (including many Republicans) who certified the results, including after recounts. We have the judiciary (even including many Trump appointees) condemned for not doing his bidding. The president leading the spreading of lies, propaganda, and disinformation concerning the results both before and after the election. And the conclusion is maybe some of the rioters were antifa? And how are we on the board treating them compared to the protests last summer?

So where exactly does she draw the line or is there really no line? The ends justifies any means?

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Frances said:

So where exactly does she draw the line or is there really no line? The ends justifies any means?

There's no line. Question asked, question answered. I think that goes for everyone who agrees with her. 

Now, back to the important question: onion or ice? And there's been a recent mention of fennel, hmmm... 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Holmesschooler said:

Honestly, I don't know why you would want to update them on anything. They don't care. They treat you like this over and over again. You, your sanity and your well being are worth more than arguing with nobodies who vomit thousands of posts per month because they have ego issues. 

I have seen multiple times over months (possibly years) of coming into a discussion and within 4 posts stomping away because she just doesn't understand why we can be such awful people. It's getting to be a little old to have the same ol' dance every few weeks/months. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9
1 minute ago, historically accurate said:

I have seen multiple times over months (possibly years) of coming into a discussion and within 4 posts stomping away because she just doesn't understand why we can be such awful people. It's getting to be a little old to have the same ol' dance every few weeks/months. 

Aww, don't be like that. Traditions are very soothing, you know! Very expected and whatnot. 

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, Holmesschooler said:

There are certainly people on this board who care about her health.  She called this place a cesspool, which I find incredibly rude to the people who have never once said a word against her who find fellowship in this board.  I still care how she is doing healthwise despite being disgusted with they way she referred to the board.

• Like 11

Hey @MercyA, you’re not here getting PMs. Can you please remove the thread link? I was planning on finding it and privately messaging everyone, trying to keep things unlinked for security purposes, primarily 🙂 

Edited by TAFKAPastry
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Holmesschooler said:

At least the rest of the "nobodies" have the courage to post under their regular user names, instead of making a new one just for the purpose of being insulting. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9
Just now, MissLemon said:

At least the rest of the "nobodies" have the courage to post under their regular user names, instead of making a new one just for the purpose of being insulting. 

Well... technically I changed mine, lol. But that's because someone was a huge jerk. 

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oooh. Well, I've never heard of onions for macing, either, so maybe fennel is another folk remedy? 

I just looked it up, and in addition to being used for inflammation and menstrual cramps it supposedly has mental health benefits.  

So perhaps we can assume that someone who is shocked that she would be met with force when unlawfully trying to access a government building has not been using fennel for long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
1 minute ago, Danae said:

I just looked it up, and in addition to being used for inflammation and menstrual cramps it supposedly has mental health benefits.  

So perhaps we can assume that someone who is shocked that she would be met with force when unlawfully trying to access a government building has not been using fennel for long.

Wow. This is making me want to eat more fennel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 1/7/2021 at 12:48 PM, Not_a_Number said:

I don't see that at all. I would guess that his supporters are currently emboldened, not chastened. 

Don't worry, in about a week, all the potential supporters will have convinced themselves that

a) the only bad protesters were antifa 

and 

b) the good protesters were only fighting for their rights not to have STOLEN elections. 

Mark my words. Nothing is done unless someone in power comes up with some guts and stands up to the man. 

Quoting myself from yesterday... so, clearly we have support for a) on this thread 😛 . I'm sure some of you know people who support point b). 

In other news, reports are circulating that DOJ is not currently considering incitement charges for speakers at the protest rally that preceded the coup attempt. 

Authorities are also trying to assess the potential damage done as a result of theft including, possibly, constituent information. https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/533384-laptop-stolen-from-pelosis-office-during-capitol-riots

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

List of the most popular false and misleading narratives on social media about Wednesday’s events, counting their mentions on cable television and social media and in print and online news outlets on Wednesday and Thursday (Source)

1. Rioters on the Capitol were actually antifa: 411,099 mentions

The false narrative that antifa supporters were actually behind the unrest at the Capitol peaked at 66,122 mentions on Wednesday evening, according to Zignal’s data. Rep. Matt Gaetz even referenced the false Washington Times article as proof that the mob was “in fact members of the violent terrorist group antifa.”

On Thursday, The Washington Times published a new version of its article, reporting that it was actually “neo-Nazis and other extremists” who were identified in photos of the mob, after BuzzFeed News challenged the outlet’s reporting.

2. The mob’s actions were a “setup” and an “inside job”: 122,287 mentions

The idea that the mob’s work was an inside job spread widely on social media, even though there was no evidence to support the conspiracy theory. People said the setup had been planned by the “deep state,” which is shorthand for the conspiracy theory about Democratic elites secretly exercising political control over the public. The narrative peaked at 12,593 mentions from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday, according to Zignal’s data.

3. President Trump knew that the mob would happen, and people should “trust the plan” and “hold the line”: 83,990 mentions

The distorted idea that President Trump knew about the mob’s actions in advance and that people should “trust the plan” and “hold the line” was widespread especially among supporters of the conspiracy movement QAnon — which is based upon the false premise that the country is run by a Democrat-led cabal of pedophiles whom President Trump is bringing down.

4. The mob at the Capitol was made up of people “posing as MAGA”: 64,258 mentions

A popular false narrative that people in the mob were simply “posing as MAGA” peaked early on Wednesday, before accusations specifically zeroed in on antifa.

5. President Trump will “declassify” information on how the election was stolen: 63,190 mentions

Some supporters of the president pushed the falsehood that he would soon “declassify” information on how the election was stolen, in spite of overwhelming evidence — and a host of court rulings — that no widespread fraud was found in the election.

In some versions of the baseless rumor, people stated that this was the real reason that Mr. Trump’s opponents in Congress were calling on the president to be stripped of his power from office under the disability clause of the 25th Amendment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1
38 minutes ago, MercyA said:

@TAFKAPastry I am slow on the uptake sometimes 😬, but I've missed seeing you here, truly. And people have been asking how you are, so I know I'm not the only one.  

Me, too.  Fellow Saxon user here (iirc you use Saxon, sorry if I am wrong).  🙂 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Never mind. I'm not going to engage 

Best not to.

26 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Yesterday 60 cops were injured, 15 were hospitalized, and 1 died. So much for "blue lives matter."

And yet from my conservative FB friends who were all about blue lives matters this summer I've heard . . . crickets. I wonder why that could be? Hmmm . . . 

25 minutes ago, Holmesschooler said:

Okay, now it's getting funny.

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Well... technically I changed mine, lol. But that's because someone was a huge jerk. 

But you were relatively open about it, or as open as one could be under the circumstances. I mean it's not like you left in a huff and then came back with a new user name w/o identifying yourself.

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

But you were relatively open about it, or as open as one could be under the circumstances. I mean it's not like you left in a huff and then came back with a new user name w/o identifying yourself.

Hah, I'm far too arrogant not to let everyone know just who I am, yes 😉 . 

• Haha 9
19 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Well, look, he can be Presidential! It only took him 3 years, 353 days. And it came 30ish hours after a failed coup attempt. But Attaboy! Way to go! 

Sorry, apparently my anger is making me snarky today...

I just figured that he decided to behave after having his twitter and facebook taken away. Makes me wonder how much better the last 4 yrs would have been if they had done that at the beginning!

26 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Dude. Harsh. 

I actually do care about her. Challenging each other does not mean we don't care about each other. It means we do.

Right. I challenge my kids and my husband if they say something that is not true. Then we look it up and figure out what the facts are. Caring about factual information does not mean not caring about people. 

19 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

It looks awfully yellow to be ice.

If it was in a cooler with drinks maybe? Plus who knows with colors being weird in photos. Or maybe the chemicals on her face made the ice look weird as she rubbed on it? Honestly, it looks weird to be a cut onion - MAYBE a whole onion, but that wouldn't make her cry. 

I suppose it is possble she just never considered that the other side might fight back during a revolution. How dare they!

• Like 1

I'm sad because I just wrote a 14 paragraph point by point response to a post, with reasonings and all, only to then finally look at what's been posted in the meantime and find I am once again irrelevant.

Sigh. Well there goes my posting time for the day, lol. I did want to add my one little thing about the tear gas crying:

"I'm shocked, shocked!, to find tear gas used around here." - woman trying to overthrow the government.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
16 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

1. Rioters on the Capitol were actually antifa: 411,099 mentions

The false narrative that antifa supporters were actually behind the unrest at the Capitol peaked at 66,122 mentions on Wednesday evening, according to Zignal’s data. Rep. Matt Gaetz even referenced the false Washington Times article as proof that the mob was “in fact members of the violent terrorist group antifa.”

It should tell you a lot about the issues that I'm dealing with here when I say that Matt Gaetz is the representative for my area. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I just figured that he decided to behave after having his twitter and facebook taken away. Makes me wonder how much better the last 4 yrs would have been if they had done that at the beginning!

Reporters (NYT, WP, and others) who were in touch with aides in the WH, said that White House Counsel Pat Cipollone only persuaded Trump to make the statement after US Attorney Michael Sherwin initially said he would not rule out filing incitement charges against him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some people on my FB feed have questioned whether the shooting of Ms. Babbitt was justified. The Washington Post has published an annotated video that shows protected persons in the immediate vicinity of the shooting. https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2021/01/08/ashli-babbitt-shooting-video-capitol/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2THGU7P20vzLzKgLRYu7gqxLHWb3SujfyF5o4X80oeIe4oiuSbijHAfyg

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Yes.

It’s not enough to be a devoted member of a cult; one has to also ensure no one else leaves it.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 9

@MercyA Thanks. I'm going to sit on it for a bit and see if I think it will add anything to the conversation, now that I know who I was responding to and how the convo has evolved. If the points continue to bother me I'm sure you'll see a revised version, hopefully in a more condensed form 😉 

Also, I vote ice:

• If the onion was just for tear-jerker properties, it would have had to have been pre cut, and usually you wrap precut onion in plastic, not a towel.
  • Onion shows forethought that there would be tear gas if it was supposed to be a mitigator: again, forethought would also have plastic wrap not towel.
  • The tears could be faked but the emotion strikes me as real. I do see true shock that anyone could really stand against her intentions.
  • Fennel strikes me more as a spring accoutrement for government overthrowings, not a winter one. Plus a bit too "eating cake" for your everyday terrorist, which she seems to be. I'd expect it to pair better with something a bit more formal: the striking splash of green fennel stalks thrown over the shoulder, with a bolder body armor suit, letting the sneaker-wearing protestors know they were in the presence of a true insurrectionist. It is a panache of regalness that you really can't pull off otherwise.  
  • Like 5
  • Haha 21
26 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Some people on my FB feed have questioned whether the shooting of Ms. Babbitt was justified. The Washington Post has published an annotated video that shows protected persons in the immediate vicinity of the shooting. https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2021/01/08/ashli-babbitt-shooting-video-capitol/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2THGU7P20vzLzKgLRYu7gqxLHWb3SujfyF5o4X80oeIe4oiuSbijHAfyg

F the blue, eh... so much for all that respect. 

7 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

@MercyA Thanks. I'm going to sit on it for a bit and see if I think it will add anything to the conversation, now that I know who I was responding to and how the convo has evolved. If the points continue to bother me I'm sure you'll see a revised version, hopefully in a more condensed form 😉 

Also, I vote ice:

• If the onion was just for tear-jerker properties, it would have had to have been pre cut, and usually you wrap precut onion in plastic, not a towel.
  • Onion shows forethought that there would be tear gas if it was supposed to be a mitigator: again, forethought would also have plastic wrap not towel.
  • The tears could be faked but the emotion strikes me as real. I do see true shock that anyone could really stand against her intentions.
  • Fennel strikes me more as a spring accoutrement for government overthrowings, not a winter one. Plus a bit too "eating cake" for your everyday terrorist, which she seems to be. I'd expect it to pair better with something a bit more formal: the striking splash of green fennel stalks thrown over the shoulder, with a bolder body armor suit, letting the sneaker-wearing protestors know they were in the presence of a true insurrectionist. It is a panache of regalness that you really can't pull off otherwise.  

FTR, I completely agree with your assessment of the fennel idea. 🤣 Entirely too bougie.

• Haha 9
28 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Wow. That's quite the video. 

There's an intense amount of privilege in that video -- they shove past police officers, they yell at police officers... can you imagine them sympathizing with a person of a different race pulling all that stuff? When they spent time vilifying kids with toy guys? 

What in the world did they think would happen?? Why did they think all the cops would be on their side? You can tell they thought that... and they weren't even entirely wrong, I guess? 😞 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Wow. That's quite the video. 

There's an intense amount of privilege in that video -- they shove past police officers, they yell at police officers... can you imagine them sympathizing with a person of a different race pulling all that stuff? When they spent time vilifying kids with toy guys? 

What in the world did they think would happen?? Why did they think all the cops would be on their side? You can tell they thought that... and they weren't even entirely wrong, I guess? 😞 

They tried to negotiate the surrender of turf in exchange for the officers’ safety. The shooting victim was the one screaming like a banshee. It was intense.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 2
57 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

That was not a “peaceful protest” like some have claimed.  Not at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

What does "protected persons" mean? 

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

What does "protected persons" mean? 

The speakers lobby was right there and members of the house (protected persons) were being evacuated through that hallway. The other door to the chamber had already been reached by the insurrectionists. That LEO presence was the only thing between the mob and members of Congress.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 11
1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

The speakers lobby was right there and members of the house (protected persons) were being evacuated through that hallway. The other door to the chamber had already been reached by the insurrectionists.

Thank you. I figured, but wanted to be sure. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Spryte said:

That was not a “peaceful protest” like some have claimed.  Not at all. 

Once you see broken windows in the Capitol... yeah, peaceful protest, my foot. 

(And in case anyone wants to charge me with hypocrisy, no, the looting people did under the cover of the protests in the summer weren't peaceful protest, either. It's just the looting wasn't the POINT of the protests. For this "protest," storming the Capitol was actually the point for a sizable chunk of the participants.) 

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

The speakers lobby was right there and members of the house (protected persons) were being evacuated through that hallway. The other door to the chamber had already been reached by the insurrectionists.

Oooh. I see them being shown in the beginning. Wow. Now imagine if they allowed those people through...

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

Thank you for posting that.

The law enforcement personnel seem incredibly restrained in the face of that mob, particulary given who they were protecting.

• Like 8

Interesting: 

"At one point John Sullivan, a liberal activist who shoots video at a range of protests and who filmed the footage on Wednesday, is heard warning an officer that additional rioters may be on their way. “We want you to go home,” he said, according to the video. “I’m recording. And there’s so many people. They’re gonna to push their way up here. Bro, I’ve seen people out there get hurt. I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

So this was a liberal activist saying that? I didn't realize that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

So do we have 3 "new" posters on here that are actually long-term members?  

2, I thought.   Who's #3? 

I just now figured out who Tafkpastry is, so what do I know?  🤦🏻‍♀️   
Btw, T, I'm glad you are doing well!   I know we're not always on the same 'side' (I don't know another way to put it, but I hate the way that sounds), but I always wish the best for you and the kiddos!    

• Like 3

I'm probably number three. 

I went away and got some help with a mental health crisis, and am dipping my toe back in anonymously to see if I'm capable of engaging in a healthier way, because I do miss this place.

So far, I'm doing a lot better at regulating myself, but it's the anon 'new start' that's partly helping facilitate that. Using my real name, ironically, part of keeping myself more accountable to myself. 

Ppl are free to report/ignore. Going back to the exercise threads now. Best of luck with current events to all.

• Like 13
2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I'm probably number three. 

You weren't one of the ones I was thinking of. 

Holmeschooler

Tafkpastry (who I think I've figured out but not sure)

darshana (who could be new and just decided to wade in)

• Like 2