Menu

Are there an AP US History Classes that you LOVED?

• 1 month later...

I have this same question. Does anyone have experience with HSLDA Academy's APUSH (AP U.S. History) class, in particular?

A cheaper option for me would be Texas Tech Online (TTU K-12). However, they are not as transparent about reading material and course content and approach.

Our dd took APUSH with Susan Richman at PA Homeschoolers when she was sophomore (2016-2017 school year).  She absolutely loved the class.  The class is asynchronous, which was perfect for us as dd was swimming competitively and was gone Thursdays-Sundays many weekends due to swimming and speech and debate tournaments.  

The class is set up on a rotation of weeks (A,B,C,D).  Mrs. Richman assigns certain homework to be completed depending on which week you are currently on, as well as weekly homework.  At first this was a little confusing, but I made a "cheat sheet" for dd that had the assignments due each week (not specific assignments, just general), as well as weekly assignments due.  I can not remember all of the different assignments, but I do remember that they had to analyze political cartoons (I think that was weekly) and write written responses to readings weekly, but then some other assignments were just once/month and were due either week A, B, C, or D (I hope this makes sense).

The students are required to be active on the message boards, and the class was quite engaging even though it was asynchronous.  Mrs. Richman has quite a detailed description of the class on the PA Homeschoolers site.  

This class was one of our daughter's favorite classes!  I am happy to try and answer any questions you may have 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjbucks1 said:

Our dd took APUSH with Susan Richman at PA Homeschoolers when she was sophomore (2016-2017 school year).  She absolutely loved the class.  The class is asynchronous, which was perfect for us as dd was swimming competitively and was gone Thursdays-Sundays many weekends due to swimming and speech and debate tournaments.  

The class is set up on a rotation of weeks (A,B,C,D).  Mrs. Richman assigns certain homework to be completed depending on which week you are currently on, as well as weekly homework.  At first this was a little confusing, but I made a "cheat sheet" for dd that had the assignments due each week (not specific assignments, just general), as well as weekly assignments due.  I can not remember all of the different assignments, but I do remember that they had to analyze political cartoons (I think that was weekly) and write written responses to readings weekly, but then some other assignments were just once/month and were due either week A, B, C, or D (I hope this makes sense).

The students are required to be active on the message boards, and the class was quite engaging even though it was asynchronous.  Mrs. Richman has quite a detailed description of the class on the PA Homeschoolers site.  

This class was one of our daughter's favorite classes!  I am happy to try and answer any questions you may have 🙂

Is this class secular? I realize the CB approved syllabus must be secular, but is there any religious discussion/influence whether from the teacher or the students in the class?

Thanks for your detailed review!

2 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Is this class secular? I realize the CB approved syllabus must be secular, but is there any religious discussion/influence whether from the teacher or the students in the class?

Mrs. Richman is of Jewish heritage and all materials used are secular in nature.  I imagine the discussions students have will be different from year to year based on the make-up of the class.  While I would say the class was not religious in nature, I can not say that the faith of those being studied was never discussed.  All I can say is that was not the focus.  The questions the students are asked to discuss/write about each week were not religious in nature.  However, if you have any questions I would not hesitate to contact Mrs. Richman.

• Like 1

No help, I’m teaching this and all history classes myself (I’m an attorney so Gov is a little bit fun). I find most homeschool provider social science classes way too conservative for my liking. We did outsource Micro and I regret it already (but the economics classes at least are balanced by the equally extremely liberal classes DS takes at local college so I guess that’s okay 😂)

• 1 month later...