Menu

ISO Online Foreign Language Options

My dd15 is extremely interested in learning languages. I speak Spanish, and I am teaching both of my children using ULAT. But dd is wanting to start on another language. She signed up for Russian independent study course, and it was very poorly taught (required rote memorization of words and phrases with no support in learning the alphabet first) and she did not really have access to a teacher, so she withdrew. So I am looking for a better alternative. 

She does not have her heart set on Russian. She chose it because it was interesting to her to learn a language with a non-Latin alphabet. But she would be happy with just about any language if the class were well taught and she had access to a teacher who was fluent. She has mentioned Polish, Arabic, Croatian as other possibilities, but she just wants a good class. She does not want to study another Romance language at the moment. 

If anyone can help to point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. 🙂 

Arabic Homeschool is set up almost exactly like Homeschool Spanish Academy where you buy the credits, they have a curriculum, and you schedule and do the lessons with a tutor and I've heard it's very good, so that would be a good resource. 

BYU Independent has a lot of options. Mostly I think a tutor through iTalki or just taking a live class is usually the best option. A lot of the time, community college is the best choice for languages. There are often classes on Outschool for Japanese and Arabic beginners if she wants to dip a toe in and see how she feels about it.

Just now, Farrar said:

Arabic Homeschool is set up almost exactly like Homeschool Spanish Academy where you buy the credits, they have a curriculum, and you schedule and do the lessons with a tutor and I've heard it's very good, so that would be a good resource. 

BYU Independent has a lot of options. Mostly I think a tutor through iTalki or just taking a live class is usually the best option. A lot of the time, community college is the best choice for languages. There are often classes on Outschool for Japanese and Arabic beginners if she wants to dip a toe in and see how she feels about it.

Thank you very much for this. It was BYU that she had to withdraw from. The Russian class was just so poorly done. List of phrases to simply memorize without any grammar instruction at all. Requirements to do handwriting without any resources for how to do it. We won't do another HS level language program from BYU unless they change their approach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yep. My son uses iTalki for his language tutor! We have found them very useful for finding tutors. I've also helped clients find tutors through there.

@FarrarDo you use a separate curriculum, or does the iTalki tutor just supplement your regular curriculum?

16 minutes ago, Tracy said:

@FarrarDo you use a separate curriculum, or does the iTalki tutor just supplement your regular curriculum?

So, we've done it both ways - at one point, BalletBoy was using a tutor for French and doing a sort of French workbook at home as well as some Duolingo. Right now, Mushroom is doing ASL through a tutor. She assigns tests and some study and we're just calling it a credit. She's a good teacher - he seems to be on par for ASL 2, so I feel fine calling it a credit.

For a "light" language credit, I think unless you're doing Spanish, where there are so many options, it's hard to do better than Duolingo + an iTalki tutor that you find and like. For a more serious credit, you may have to do some more searching to find the right tutor to help set the curriculum or find a class. If I had a kid who had any interest in Arabic, I'd use that Arabic Homeschool program as I've heard good things and the set up is so similar to HSA. They used to run it differently and I suspect they actually copied HSA's model.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Thank you very much for this. It was BYU that she had to withdraw from. The Russian class was just so poorly done. List of phrases to simply memorize without any grammar instruction at all. Requirements to do handwriting without any resources for how to do it. We won't do another HS level language program from BYU unless they change their approach. 

My dd tried BYU's online Arabic class and it was horribly disorganized.

She's taking a college level microbiology class from BYU independent study right now that is quite good, it's a completely different experience. I'm wary of their online language classes though after our Arabic experience.

Really unfortunate. Dd did Arabic StarTalk at BYU in person a couple of summers ago and it was fabulous. They just don't seem to know how to handle online language instruction.

She's working with an Arabic tutor on Outschool now that she is happy with; I can put up a link to his page if you are interested, he teaches both group and private classes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

I’ve never heard of Preply; why did you choose Preply over other options?

I liked the variety of tutors available. I was looking for inexpensive tutoring options since I had multiple children with different levels and interests I needed to accommodate. We did a handful of trial lessons and found a few that were a good fit. They offer more than languages; my oldest is taking voice lessons over Preply from a teacher in England. Actually, it was initially a search for online music teachers that led me there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dd took German & Russian through CLRC. Russian was way more intense than German. She also used italki to supplement German (and Spanish). She doubled up on Russian her final semester of high school with By the Onion Sea, but I don't know if Mrs Denne is taking new students? 

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2021 at 8:35 PM, Farrar said:

For a "light" language credit, I think unless you're doing Spanish, where there are so many options, it's hard to do better than Duolingo + an iTalki tutor that you find and like. 

Dd says the Russian Duolingo is not as good as the other languages she's tried.

• Like 2

CTY has Arabic and Chinese classes starting at elementary level.

our Italki Chinese tutor has a curriculum and assigns homework 

Natakallam pairs displaced Arabic speaking tutors with learners, they also have a curriculum track.

Qasid institute  is aimed mostly at college students and has both private and group classes...they use a common textbook (there aren’t that many Arabic textbooks). They’re online currently. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Christine K said:

If your dd would like to try Russian again, I have heard nothing but glowing recommendations about Julia Denne's Russian language and Russian literature classes: https://bytheonionsea.com/

Julia is not taking new students right now for Russian Language. I think she just doing Lit. She recommended Inga Gurevich gurn5274 @ gmail.com when I emailed her a few weeks ago. We didn’t pursue it because Dd doesn’t want to do one-on-one. The NISL-Y program spoiled her. She wants a group. HTH! 

13 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Julia is not taking new students right now for Russian Language. I think she just doing Lit. She recommended Inga Gurevich gurn5274 @ gmail.com when I emailed her a few weeks ago. We didn’t pursue it because Dd doesn’t want to do one-on-one. The NISL-Y program spoiled her. She wants a group. HTH! 

@MamaSprout Were you able to find another alternative? My dd definitely wants to try Russian again.