Menu

New article posted by Stanislas Dehaena about mirror letter confusion

Dehaene's tweet:

Reading acquisition: A recent study confirms that mirror confusions can be a significant hurdle in first grade, and suggests that a targeted intervention, including multisensory training and naps, can make a big difference. Sleep promotes consolidation!

article:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982220317425

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 4:50 PM, ElizabethB said:

Dehaene's tweet:

Reading acquisition: A recent study confirms that mirror confusions can be a significant hurdle in first grade, and suggests that a targeted intervention, including multisensory training and naps, can make a big difference. Sleep promotes consolidation!

article:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982220317425

Super interesting.

DD4 doesn't nap anymore, and I wonder if it's possible that slowed down her reading learning? On the other hand, it doesn't seem to slow down her math in the last, so I doubt that's the whole answer. 

Does this suggest teaching it to them later in the day would help? What about making sure they use the correct parts of the brains themselves when reading, would that also count as training? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Super interesting.

DD4 doesn't nap anymore, and I wonder if it's possible that slowed down her reading learning? On the other hand, it doesn't seem to slow down her math in the last, so I doubt that's the whole answer. 

Does this suggest teaching it to them later in the day would help? What about making sure they use the correct parts of the brains themselves when reading, would that also count as training? 

I'm not sure if later in the day is better or not for someone who no longer need a nap, interesting question. 

Either time, it is best to teach in the most optimal way for how the brain best learns the information, but could be even more efficient at different times--or maybe after getting a good night's sleep. I'm not sure how much research there is about sleep consolidation and learning, I'm sure there is some stuff, would be interesting to look into.

I do know that there is research for recess and breaks. I've seen it with my group classes. One day the elementary students in our group class were not allowed outside for recess because of severe weather (for the area, Northern states would have laughed.) The school normally used the lunchroom as a gym after school but no classes were allowed in the gym for indoor recess, they were busy with lunch prep and then lunch cleanup. We had them right after school and made them run around for 5 or 10 minutes outside and them a bit in the lunchroom, but they were a mess after a full school day with no physical breaks, no one learned anything that day, I had to switch to phonics games after 10 minutes of trying to teach. 

We referred to that day afterwards as "The day with no recess." We were also down a few volunteers, exacerbating the problem, we told them about it later.

We naps in Kindergarten and a lot more recess than they currently do, it seems counterproductive and counterintuitive to people in schools today but is best in the long run.

Edited by ElizabethB

10 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

I'm not sure if later in the day is better or not for someone who no longer need a nap, interesting question. 

I’d be curious!! We dropped DD4’s nap when it became obvious it was interfering with bedtime — no matter when we put her to bed after a nap, it took her FOREVER to fall asleep at night, which was unpleasant for everyone involved. So she hasn’t napped in more than a year now... almost 2 years, really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

I’d be curious!! We dropped DD4’s nap when it became obvious it was interfering with bedtime — no matter when we put her to bed after a nap, it took her FOREVER to fall asleep at night, which was unpleasant for everyone involved. So she hasn’t napped in more than a year now... almost 2 years, really. 

"From a translational perspective, our results may have relevant implications: it might be more effective to learn declarative material, like vocabulary words, in the afternoon and to train procedural skills, such as those required for music or sports, in the evening. Remarkably, training in the evening, compared to training in the afternoon, resulted in a significantly elevated gain in motor performance not only 24 hrs after initial training, but also at follow-up after one week. As noted earlier, our declarative findings appear less robust and should be interpreted with caution. Together, our results are informative for the development of new and potentially more effective teaching and learning strategies for adolescents, their parents and teachers."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3395672/

Just a study I found through Google. It is an interesting topic.

My two kids who had complete and full mirror writing also had significant vision issues (including full double vision). It’s been interesting to follow these studies over the years. Fifteen years ago it was all about proper phonics instruction. A decade ago it was all about motor work in handwriting... Nothing has really moved forward. It’s still just seen as a brief developmental phase problem (as it usually is).

• Like 1