Menu

Seeking ACT Prep advice

My dd is 15yo. She has never had a standardized test before, something we were going to remedy a year ago just as the lockdowns started. While she is 98th percentile for IQ, she has some processing speed and working memory issues, so I am a little concerned about her taking the ACTs. However I now feel like we don't have a lot of time to pussyfoot around with any old test.

I am going to purchase an ACT prep book and have her take practice tests. She is asking me if it is possible to take a practice test in real life, meaning like a pre-ACT in the same environment and under the same conditions as the ACT would be given. Do they even do that? I seem to remember they did when I was in high school, but I never participated and it was 30 years ago now. And what are the current constraints with Covid?

Any other advice for how to help her prepare. As smart as she is, she has really high testing anxiety, and her speed is really slow. 

Edited by Tracy
  • Like 1

There is a PreACT test if you can find a school giving it that will let you join.  It is not like PSAT, SAT, ACT- given on specific dates, sign up online.  Instead it is an optional test a school can choose to give at any time aimed at 10th graders and does not include a science section (if I remember correctly).  You have to call around to see if your local schools offer it, and when it will be given.  I had my 10th grader signed up at our local school- I called in August to be added to the list.  So far its been canceled a few times, no current date set. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 11:32 AM, Sherry in OH said:

ACT Aspire is available for 3rd through 10th grades.  In the past it was only available through schools but it looks like this year there is a home testing option.

i assume it is only available through the local school districts? It looked like one of our local districts did it in the fall.  

You might consider the SAT instead. 

I think ds is a bit slower processor. He hasn't taken an official ACT, but I did give him a timed full practice test last spring. We switched to prepping for the SAT because dh's school gives it and was going to be meeting in person this year. He took the SAT in December. His practice ACT score was not enough to qualify for any merit aid at his college, but his SAT was high enough. I think he did better because you have longer per question on the SAT. 

He is going to take the ACT next month just to see if he can do better, but I don't anticipate it. I hope he surprises me. 

• Thanks 1

If you do continue with ACT, I would suggest these videos to prep for the science section. Dd watched these and realized in practice that there isn't time to read everything in that section. She read the questions first and looked for the answers. It was her highest section score. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef7rXEwHDFk

There are 8 of these videos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2