Menu

Resources for learning Arabic?

DD has decided she wants to learn Arabic. I've actually tried to dissuade her to wait, mainly because I think she's doing plenty of academics right now (and 3 foreign languages already - 2 in earnest, 1 using the Getting Started series at a slow pace), but she keeps mentioning it, so I think she could have fun getting her feet wet and exploring the language a little.  We can't add an actual / formal class at this time. Any suggestions for learn-at-your-own-pace resources, where she could dabble in learning without a big time or work commitment? If the interest sticks, we'll look into the Arabic class at CLRC for next year. 

Thank you!

edited to tag @maize and @Little Green Leaves, as it seems (from the archives) that you or your DC have tried learning arabic in the past?

Edited by JHLWTM
  • Like 1

I used a textbook called Al-Kitaab fii Ta'allum al-Arabiyya. By Kristen Brusted. It was great. First there's a separate book for learning the alphabet and sounds, and then you get into words and simple phrases. It comes with a DVD and there's a built-in story line about a young woman from Egypt who's studying at NYU. I guess the books must be written by an NYU professor, but I used them without a class, just me and a friend doing it for fun back when I had loads of spare time on my hands.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 6:33 PM, Rosie_0801 said:

Do you have an Islamic bookshop nearby? They'll have resources.

We are staying mostly home right now. But that’ s a great suggestion that I will keep in mind for post-pandemic! 

• Like 1

I don’t know why I didn’t think of Duolingo, but it looks like Duolingo has Arabic. I might have her start there, as the Brusted textbook is pretty pricey.  (It looks like the CLRC class uses the Brusted textbook, so if DD ends up taking a formal class, we’ll buy it then).  There’s also a site called Babbel (I’m guessing the Hive probably already knows about Babbel, but I just heard of it today) that looks promising.