Menu

Independent Middle School Spelling

silver

I need a workbook spelling program for my son. It looks like most middle school spelling programs transition to vocabulary, but he still needs spelling practice. He's refusing to do sequential spelling with me anymore, so we need something that is independent.

thanks!

Megawords is fairly independent, with the occasional exercise with in which the parent dictates syllables to the student. And of course, initially going over the spelling patterns for that lesson. (Because of those exercises, you will need both the student book AND the teacher book.) Megawords focuses on vowel patterns, and syllabication rules.

It is geared for grades 4+, and especially starting in the 3rd book, the word lists include some good middle school-to-high school level vocabulary words. There are 8 books total, and you will probably complete 1 book every 18-28 weeks (depending on how quickly your son moves through the books). With my struggling speller, we started in grade 6, and did 1 full book and then 1/4 of the next book, at the rate of 1, sometimes 2, pages per day, 4x/week. He finished book 8 in grade 12 at that easy pace, which was good and needed for him to have Spelling all the way through 12th grade.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

If you are interested in a non-workbook format, IEW is offering the first two lessons of Phonetic Zoo for free (TODAY, 1/4/2021). Phonetic Zoo is audio based but designed to be independent.

https://iew.com/help-support/blog/tenth-day-christmas-iew-gave-me-…-0?fbclid=IwAR07LqIcWTz_j_snKMhKP78ss-Yh31_v4DeV7sfe8RKhxpvGGeX_5FfGTsM

• Thanks 1