Menu

Confirming enrollment before scholarships awarded ?

teachermom2834

Ds knows where he is going. He has been accepted with the automatic scholarship. He applied for several competitive scholarships and he should have a shot at something. He applied for everything from full ride to smaller ones for just a couple thousand a year. He will attend regardless but of course anything extra he can get will help. He was admitted to the highest honors program which is pretty limited so he is still in the running for competitive awards, I believe. 

He is itching to confirm his enrollment as he has friends who have and are starting to apply for housing. He wants honors housing, which is limited, and he is talking to some friends about potentially rooming together. These friends have already confirmed so they are almost ready to go forward with housing and roommate selection. 

I had been of the mind to hold out on confirming enrollment until the scholarship process played out some more, thinking that if they didn't need to entice him to come it might hurt his chances. But maybe that isn't really how it is done? 

Thoughts? 

• Like 2

Well, I put  $ down for UA last week even though we've never visited!  It's not her final pick, but I wanted to ensure she could get a good room in the honors dorms and I got nervous about waiting.  It sounds like your DS is sure, so I think you should go ahead and secure his spot in housing line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In many cases, signing up for housing is not the same as confirming enrollment. Housing fees you pay now are often refundable up to the housing deadline. Read the housing website carefully, but I believe you may more committed emotionally than financially by doing this. 

• Like 1

We're waiting until DD is in the honors college for Mizzou, but won't hear from competitive scholarships for months yet. I suspect that if you wait until they announce the biggest ones (which require interviews, etc), you probably would have little chance of getting in the dorm at all. 

• Like 1