Menu

Tell us something you are proud of from this year or something that went well!

PeterPan

I'll go first!  We've been working through a program for auditory processing and phonemic synthesis, and ds has started making up new words to songs and cracking jokes! I think he was not processing words as being composed of interchangeable sounds. The materials and our work have changed that, so now he can actually crack jokes with puns, rearrange, change a letter, recognize when that's happening or why it's funny, etc. It's actually really amazing.

He's singing right now, making up new words to Phantom, which is really hilarious. If only I had succeeded at teaching him to SING as well as I taught him to pun. :biggrin:

So let's end the year positive! Share something that happened or you made happen that went well.

• Like 7

How fun!!!!!!!

Between one thing and another, COVID-related, my son attended school for about 6 weeks this year.  We had a cross-country move over the summer and he also started middle school.

Apparently he navigates between classes by himself at a 1,000-student middle school.  I can’t quite wrap my head around it.

He missed the bus one day, because he didn’t have his mask at the bus stop and wasn’t allowed on the bus, and I drove him to school.  He went in a different entrance and nobody knew he would go in that entrance.  He walked in to school like it was no big deal!

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 4

Something clicked with dd (ASD), and she is working completely independently on her co-op classes. Has been all semester. She was only late turning in work once. I do still help her with essays and papers, but even that has gone from lots of handholding to me just proofreading and helping her edit.

Also, she's been in therapeutic horse riding lessons for 2 years now. I'm so proud of her for sticking with it. She has made a lot of progress.

ETA: She has also been binge free for 9 days. She's keeping track on her own. I would be scared to put that kind of pressure on her, but it sure is encouraging. 🙂

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, popmom said:

ETA: She has also been binge free for 9 days. She's keeping track on her own. I would be scared to put that kind of pressure on her, but it sure is encouraging.

This is so good! I sucked my thumb till I was, I'm trying to remember now, 12? 11? I was in 6th grade and they wanted me to have braces (imagine that) and they wanted the thumb sucking STOPPED. So the orthodontist is like fine, give her a calendar showing the 30 days, she puts a sticker on each day she nails it. And my perfectionist side was like I'm gonna have stickers on there every day! so it was done. 

So I think you're right not to do it for her, and I think it's good that you are pursuing the other things, like the interoception question, to give her the self awareness and tools to continue to sort this out for herself. That will be the most durable solution. You cannot beat self awareness for long term outcomes. It's where it's at and it's what adults with spectrum most realize they want/need. Well maybe not when they're so unaware that they don't realize they're unaware, hahahaha. But once they realize, it becomes this BIG WOW to realize they could feel for themselves, decide for themselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

Also, she's been in therapeutic horse riding lessons for 2 years now. I'm so proud of her for sticking with it. She has made a lot of progress.

That's really interesting. Why do you think she has stuck with it this long or what do you think it tells you about her?

1 hour ago, popmom said:

gone from lots of handholding to me just proofreading and helping her edit.

You must feel so good! Here we had an IEP goal for my ds to write his numbers and I've failed at even that, lol. But, you know, I try not to think too much about what I'm *not* accomplishing, only whether we're moving forward at what we *can*. He had a really charming conversation tonight with dh! That's a big deal. I just can't seem to fix things that actually resemble school work, sigh. Fortunately life doesn't necessarily resemble school.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You must feel so good! Here we had an IEP goal for my ds to write his numbers and I've failed at even that, lol. But, you know, I try not to think too much about what I'm *not* accomplishing, only whether we're moving forward at what we *can*. He had a really charming conversation tonight with dh! That's a big deal. I just can't seem to fix things that actually resemble school work, sigh. Fortunately life doesn't necessarily resemble school.

Same here. DD is still VERY behind in math. And she wants to go to college. I'm not terribly worried about it. We'll figure it out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That's really interesting. Why do you think she has stuck with it this long or what do you think it tells you about her?

I really think there is something that happens in the brain that is specific to riding a horse. She's physically stronger and more confident. But I still think the biggest factor--and what makes her want to continue--is that mind/body connection thing that happens when she rides. I think it's what is unique about hippotherapy. Maybe it's oxytocin lol.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Howdie, I am glad for a thread to talk about our kids' achievements.

I posted on the accelerated board in June, so I will skip to the 2020-21 school year. 

It was a slow start in many respects thanks to the lockdown, lack of practice, a new school, and OCD.

For my challenged kid, Q1 of ninth grade was about a 3.5 GPA, with the hardest course being algebra.

In Q2, which just ended, she figured out how to do some things better, and ended up with a GPA above 4.0 - highest honors.  (She pulled a B in algebra this time.)  This is the first time this kid came anywhere close to a 4.0.

The main reason she did so well was her commitment to getting the work done (consistent with teacher expectations).  I hope she continues on this path, as she has college & grad school aspirations.

She also participated in sports & marching band, which really helped her bounce back from the shutdown before school started.  And she aced her "Teen Foods" course, which is helping her to be wiser about food choices & more confident in the kitchen.

• Like 3