Menu

Pulse ox 85, but covid negative. Worry?

matrips

does this sound right?

My friends 02 levels are in the 80s all day.  Had rapid test for covid at hospital- negative.  Strep was positive, as was inflammation around the heart (they said that was due to last chemo treatments, years ago).  They say her o2 level is due to that.  On any other day, her 02 is high 90s.

Gave her steroid and antibiotic shot, and meds and sent her home.  She can breathe fine.  Pulse fine.  Throat hurts.  Stomach hurts.  Nausea.  And feels like she’s been run over.  They (doctors) don’t seem concerned about it being in the 80s.  She just called again when it was 85.  They said it’s okay.  Come in if it drops lower.

Are oxygen levels just a concern with covid?  I’m confused.  Thanks 

• Sad 6

Generally in nursing they want you to report immediately if it drops below 93, and then it's monitored more frequently and they're maybe put on oxygen.  Many things lower oxygen levels, not just Covid. And those monitors aren't very accurate if you're cold.  If they took blood gases and they were fine they probably weren't concerned, but if it drops further they might be very concerned. Many elderly or chronically ill people run low all the time compared to healthy individuals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Whoa, a pulse ox level of 85 is bad, period. Whatever the cause is, it's not good. Among other things, that level is going to impair your ability to make good choices about your medical care.

Can she go to a different ER? The one closest to our house has nearly killed my mother twice pulling variations of exactly what you describe, and each time she ended up in a different ER that kept her for a week and a half because she was really very ill. We no longer go to the one closest to our house, because they do things like send sick people home when their oxygen is at 85.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

9 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

I thought it was bad for anything.  That's about what MDD was when she was hospitalized for pneumonia and they had her on Oxygen.  She was also positive for strep at the time.  Did they give her a chest x-ray?

I don’t know.  How would they know about the periocardis thing otherwise?  I hope they weren’t assuming! I’ll ask

Her husband called the hospital when it hit 85; he’s keeping an eye on her and he read an article I sent her about low oxygen levels and feeling ‘fine’.  She would not choose to go on her own I know.  We have tons of hospitals and ERs around us, so yes she could.  

10 minutes ago, matrips said:

Her husband called the hospital when it hit 85; he’s keeping an eye on her and he read an article I sent her about low oxygen levels and feeling ‘fine’.  She would not choose to go on her own I know.  We have tons of hospitals and ERs around us, so yes she could.  

Honestly, I’ve heard that this would be causing her to have panic attacks for shortness of breath/inadequate oxygen if it were anything but Covid.  Something is ‘off’.  I suspect that the test results are a false negative.  And that she needs to stay there until they give her an oxygen at home prescription AT LEAST. 

• Like 7

Isn't this... exactly why so many of us *got* oximeters over the last 10 months? Before March I certainly never thought of it as a basic first aid kit item for a generally-healthy household.  But from the outset COVID has presented differently. 

Is she in an area where hospitals are at capacity?  Even if that is the case, I'd agree with Carol that

43 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

.. she needs to stay there until they give her an oxygen at home prescription AT LEAST. 

• Like 6

I would be concerned about that for sure. Fwiw we took ds in when he had Covid as his showed low too, I think in the 80s if I remembered right. When he got to the hospital it showed fine, he was just cold. He was isolating in the basement where his room is. I didn't realize temp messed it up.

• Like 4

Certainly a concern     can she lay on her stomach and see if that raises her O2 levels after a bit?   If not, I would go to another ER.   Also, make sure he hands are warm and they try the sensor on different fingers/other hand.....but given it was known to be high 90s before this is concerning.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

I don’t know about the oxygen levels, but I had strep as an adult several years ago. I felt like I got run over by a truck. Ok, I am exaggerating, but I had all the other symptoms described above, and I was out of work for a week. 

If strep attacks the heart and turns into rheumatic fever, it can be very serious and cause permanent damage.   I had a friend who got rheumatic fever when she was 18 - healthy girl, was in bed for a YEAR.  Wasn't allowed up except to go to the bathroom.  Permanent damage.  I don't mess with strep.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Well, her 02 was 91 this morning.  So better than yesterday, but still not great.  Fingers numb.  Pressure behind eyes.  But doctor says bloodwork shows no covid.  Thinks it is a bad strain of flu. And the fluid around the heart is causing most of the 02 issues?  She’ll get the swab version of the covid test back in 2 days. But they really don’t think it’s covid.

I did tell her about proning, and she says doc also told her to sleep on her stomach.

she did have a flu shot a month or so ago too.  

Pretty much all the hospitals are good around us.  And I don’t think they’re anywhere near capacity.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

How are things looking today?

She’s up and cooking 🙄

She’s not worse.  Tired and still not feeling great, but not near as bad as she was.  And yes, I’ve told her to go rest.  Her dh is different than mine 🤷‍♀️