Menu

New DoT "service animal" vs support animal rule.

gardenmom5

Alaska has been the first airline to now ban all emotional support animal, and only dogs are recognized as an actual service animal.

""

SERVICE ANIMALS VS EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS:

The US Department of Transportation's Final Rule issued on December 2 defines a service animal as a dog of any breed or type that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability.

The policy calls for airlines to treat psychiatric service dogs the same as other service dogs and no longer allows airlines to require a letter from a licensed psychiatrist attesting to the traveler's need of the animal as a condition of transport. 

The Final Rule permits airlines to treat emotional support animals, including non-service dogs, cats, rabbits, turtles, birds and other creatures, as pets and no longer requires air carriers to accommodate them on board flight. 

The policy does not prohibit the transport of emotional support animals. An airline may choose to transport them as pets for an additional fee. 

Alaska's rule will be: Passengers will be required to complete a form on the airline's website, confirming that their animal is a legitimate service dog, is specially trained and vaccinated and will behave appropriately during the flight.

The DOT's new rule clamping down on emotional support animals that was announced on December 2 aims to settle years of tension between airlines and passengers who bring their pets on board for free by saying they need them for emotional help.

gone are the days of cats, turtles, pot-bellied pigs, horses, kangaroos, pandas, hamsters, peacocks, or chickens, (etc.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Let me tell you how tired I am.  I had to read it three times to understand that "The Final Rule permits airlines to treat emotional support animals, including non-service dogs, cats, rabbits, turtles, birds and other creatures, as pets and no longer requires air carriers to accommodate them on board flight."  DOES NOT mean your bird doesn't have to be kept in a cage or carrier during the flight.  I kept trying to figure out how they keep the birds with their owners in flight if they're out of their cages.  

Definitely NOT picturing birds being offered soda and peanuts on their flight right now. 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Let me tell you how tired I am.  I had to read it three times to understand that "The Final Rule permits airlines to treat emotional support animals, including non-service dogs, cats, rabbits, turtles, birds and other creatures, as pets and no longer requires air carriers to accommodate them on board flight."  DOES NOT mean your bird doesn't have to be kept in a cage or carrier during the flight.  I kept trying to figure out how they keep the birds with their owners in flight if they're out of their cages.  

pets have to go in the cargo hold.  no more in the cabin.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, kand said:

I’m surprised they are denying service horses as well. They are typically very well trained for their job and for certain tasks are better suited than a dog. (These are mini horses. Obviously it would be absurd to try to take a regular size horse on a passenger plane.)

I am really glad you finished that thought. I was so confused about horses on airplanes!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

pets have to go in the cargo hold.  no more in the cabin.

Where does it say that? My understanding of the new policy was that people can no longer avoid paying the extra pet fee by claiming their pet is an emotional support animal. AFAIK most airlines still allow small dogs or cats to travel in the cabin as long as they stay in their carrier and the carrier fits under the seat.

ETA: This is from Alaska's website: "Alaska Airlines can accommodate small pets in the cabin and larger pets in the baggage hold."

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, kand said:

I’m surprised they are denying service horses as well. They are typically very well trained for their job and for certain tasks are better suited than a dog. (These are mini horses. Obviously it would be absurd to try to take a regular size horse on a passenger plane.)

How does that work with them going to  the bathroom?  Are they trained?

I am glad that this was put into effect, but it is a shame that the changes had to be made. All the fraudulent service animals and untrained emotional support animals on flights have made things harder fo the people with legitimate service animal. 

I understand why they limited service animals on airplanes to only dogs, but I know that ther are other legitimate service animals. (I once saw a show about a person who was paralyzed and had a service monkey) It seemed like the new rules might allow an airline to make an exception for a different type of animal should they choose to do so, but that they are not required to. 

Edited by City Mouse
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Where does it say that? My understanding of the new policy was that people can no longer avoid paying the extra pet fee by claiming their pet is an emotional support animal. AFAIK most airlines still allow small dogs or cats to travel in the cabin as long as they stay in their carrier and the carrier fits under the seat.

It means the airline can choose to allow pets in the cabin in a carrier, but the airline does not have to allow pets in the cabin.

• Like 2

I saw this today as well. I am confused about the wording on psychiatric service dogs. Does that mean a service dog that may provide a calming effect on the passenger (like a veteran who has PTSD) or....does this just leave the loop hole open for people to call their 'emotional support dog' a 'psychiatric service dog'? I understand that this passenger no longer needs a p-doc to write a letter, but now the person just has to go online and say it is a 'service dog'?

I understand the difference in service and support animals. We almost paid $$$ for dd22 to get a service dog. I just wonder if people will go back to calling emotional support dogs 'psychiatric service dogs' instead. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kand said:

I understand not wanting to expand the species of animals because there are still too many people who try to exploit any possible loophole.
I had seen a story on a girl with a degenerative disorder who has a service mini-horse - it has allowed her to continue walking when she otherwise would be in a wheelchair (she will eventually be in one) because it can support her weight. (and a really big great-dane isn't big or strong enough.)

4 hours ago, DeainUSA said:

How does that work with them going to  the bathroom?  Are they trained?

they have diapers.

4 hours ago, City Mouse said:

I am glad that this was put into effect, but it is a shame that the changes had to be made. All the fraudulent service animals and u trained emotional support animals on flights have made th8ngs harder fo the people with legitimate service animal. 

I understand why they limited service animals on airplanes to only dogs, as I know that ther are other legitimate service animals. (I once saw a show about a person who was paralyzed and had a service monkey) It seemed like the new rules might allow an airline to make an exception for a different type of animal should they choose to do so, but that they are not required to. 

It is a shame they had to make the change - all those "my pet is my baby" owners who don't bother to adequately train fido/fifi and proceed to take it everywhere by claiming it's a support animal.  There have been too many cases of those *pets* attacking legitimate service animals, rendering them unable to continue to give full service because the dogs end up with ptsd from being attacked!

I'm sure the airlines will be hesitant to make an exception  as it would be akin to opening pandora's box.  (which is what happened when they started allowing "emotional support animals".)

3 hours ago, Tap said:

I saw this today as well. I am confused about the wording on psychiatric service dogs. Does that mean a service dog that may provide a calming effect on the passenger (like a veteran who has PTSD) or....does this just leave the loop hole open for people to call their 'emotional support dog' a 'psychiatric service dog'? I understand that this passenger no longer needs a p-doc to write a letter, but now the person just has to go online and say it is a 'service dog'?

I understand the difference in service and support animals. We almost paid $$$ for dd22 to get a service dog. I just wonder if people will go back to calling emotional support dogs 'psychiatric service dogs' instead. 

I think (I hope!) it has to be a legitimate psychiatric need - like PTSD.  1ds's GF has a dog to help detect her seizures - so that should still be allowed.  Except that isnt' something that can be trained - they have the nose or they don't.

Alaska has a form passengers have to fill out for their dogs.  they also have to say what service the animal is trained to provide.  that it has been trained to be well-behaved (so many of those "emotional comfort animals" - were NOT trained, or not very well trained. except those owners will lie.), up-to-date on shots, etc.

I got dudeling a cat for his anxiety - I'm allergic, so this really was desperation.  (nothing else was working, so I'm thrilled.)  I'm thrilled by this change.  Too many self-centered people have exploited this loophole for too long hurting those who legitimately need it.   Dh has a relative who will take her dog almost everywhere, claiming he's her emotional support animal. . . . no - she just takes him everywhere.  he snaps, growls, and barks at other people that come close to her, and especially other animals.)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tap said:

I am confused about the wording on psychiatric service dogs.

Psychiatric service dogs still have to have a trained task.   They are more than just for emotional support.  However it was very confusing before though since they were for psychiatric services that they were often lumped into emotional support animals.  

I am going to get my organizations confused and don't want to research right now but a few years ago the legal definition of a service animal was clarified to be a 'dog' and in certain circumstances a miniature horse.  That did away with individuals that wanted to use any animal including pigs, snakes, and yes monkeys.   

My own thoughts as far as flying with a miniature horse would be that in most service dog circles, it is understood that your service dog must be trained to curl up very small at your feet as to not impede on anyone else's space.  Therefore a miniature horse could certainly not do that unless you were to purchase the whole row of seats in the first/business class.   The airline, by law, does not have to accommodate your service animal.   

• Like 1