Menu

Must See in Colorado and Utah?

Dh and I are planning a fall trip (late September/early October) to visit his parents. We are taking two weeks so he and I can visit places around Colorado and Utah. We've never really spent any time in either and have just driven through.

We love road trips and don't mind driving. We're taking Amtrak in and out of Denver so we'll be renting a car and making our way to Vegas and back to visit his parents. We're planning on a few nights there and we'll have around 8 nights/days to do our own thing. So, we're thinking around 4 days on our way to Vegas and 4 days on our way back to Denver to sight see. I think we for sure want to go to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado and Zion or Arches National Park (maybe both?) in Utah. We like to do outdoor things but we also like staying in cities/places where we can leave the car at the hotel and walk everywhere.

We're obviously being optimistic at the moment that Covid will be better with a vaccine and all but we would like to stick to mostly outdoor things so we're not planning on museums and such this time. 

So, what do you all consider must see places? 

We went to Utah a couple years ago in April and absolutely loved it. We did a sorta circle tour beginning and ending in SLC. Some highlights:

Mountain biking in Moab 
Hiking in Arches National Park
Hiking a cliff trail in Dead Horse State Park  
Bears Ears National Monument and House on Fire cave dwelling 
Natural Bridges National Monument 
Capitol Reef National Park 
Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument 
Bryce Canyon National Park 
Cedar Breaks National Monument 
Zion National Park 
Antelope State Park (island inside the great salt lake)

If I got to do it again, I would skip Bryce (too many people) and Zion, which we did not like *at all*. It was crazy overcrowded and compared to the scenery and other hikes we took around the state, we found it overhyped and boring (yup, I said it. But that probably speaks more to the otherworldly majesty of the rest of the state than the narrow canyon that is Zion). 

And oh! The FOOD! Moab has a terrific food truck park, Magnolias food bus in Boulder (Utah) should not be missed if you are anywhere in the area—I’m still dreaming of their kimchi tacos (trust, it works) and churros, El Jefe in Cedar City, The Red Iguana in SLC...there were taco trucks almost everywhere we went and every one was better than the last. 

Have fun planning!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

We loved Bryce last summer. Just know that it’s pretty remote and you’ll want to make hotel reservations ahead of time.  I think that’s true of Arches and Cap Reef too but I haven’t been to those.  Park City can be fun too if you’re further north  

Arches is right outside of Moab, so lots of lodging/food/amenities there. Capitol Reef is more remote. We stayed at a beautiful spa hotel in Torrey, which while very small, boasted a delicious Mexican restaurant (la Cueva). 🙂 

When we went to Bryce we stayed in Cedar City. It’s not really a touristy destination but worked for what we needed and isn’t too far from the park (and again, there is terrific Mexican food to be found there. Also great wood fired pizza). Cedar City is also near Zion, so it could potentially make a good home base if you wanted to go to both. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MEmama said:

If you aren’t accustomed to the West, do make sure to pay attention to drive times. 🙂 

Yes! Dh was born and raised in northern CA and we both lived there for several years. We've done coast to coast drives from CA to FL, and we've driven CA to TX so many times I think we could do it in our sleep! We've just never really spent any time in CO or UT. We've just always driven through. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Yes! Dh was born and raised in northern CA and we both lived there for several years. We've done coast to coast drives from CA to FL, and we've driven CA to TX so many times I think we could do it in our sleep! We've just never really spent any time in CO or UT. We've just always driven through. 

That w as us too. I’m from northern CA as well and DH and I made many, many cross country trips and moves early in our marriage. After living in the east for so long, though, I’d forgotten just how far things can be out there. Lol. I actually loved the driving parts of our Utah trip as much as the hiking parts; it seemed like the scenery changed around every bend and every small change of elevation. I just loved it all so much. 🙂 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Any recommendations on where to stay in Moab? Or where to avoid?

We had to plan our trip quickly and there wasn’t much selection in Moab on such short notice (the trip came about after WOW airlines folded 10 days before our planned trip to Iceland, so we hastily cobbled the Utah trip together since DS had always wanted to mountain bike Moab and see the west). I don’t recall the name of our hotel but it was right in town, which I do recommend if you’ll be there a couple days. It’s a lovely town for browsing and it was nice to be able to just walk from the hotel after spending so much time in the car.

IIRC Moab was the most expensive place we stayed, but again it was *really* short notice and spring break season. But it was also the impetus for our trip and totally worth it. There should be lots of choices given some time for planning.

Hopefully someone has specific suggestions. 

Fall will be gorgeous there! 🙂 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MEmama said:

That w as us too. I’m from northern CA as well and DH and I made many, many cross country trips and moves early in our marriage. After living in the east for so long, though, I’d forgotten just how far things can be out there. Lol. I actually loved the driving parts of our Utah trip as much as the hiking parts; it seemed like the scenery changed around every bend and every small change of elevation. I just loved it all so much. 🙂 

DH and I did a cross country RV trip last year (NC to CA and back), including a stop in Moab and a visit to Arches. But truthfully we found the drive through Utah and Colorado the best part of that segment of the country.

• Like 2

I'm from Colorado so I might have weird suggestions..... out of Denver,  driving toward Utah  - visit the Breckenridge/Siverton area, beautiful and fun in the off season (non-ski) ... my son had his wedding in the area. Spectacular views, good hotels, great restaurants...  Then on to Glenwood Springs ... I love Rife Falls and Rifle Gap. I'd make time for Dinosaur National Monument. (Note: I've skipped the usual Colorado visits to Denver, Boulder, Estes. Colorado Springs all.worthwhile just not on the way in a Denver to Vegas Road trip).... Then on to Moab. Definitely hit Goblin Valley!  Make the grand circle and visit Bryce and Canyonlands and Zion...Salt Lake City is a lovely city ... then drive back across the South and see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Sunrise Crater volcano and Petrified Forest along Route 66.  

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2