Menu

Canning- what do you can?

saraha

I always can tomatoes and jelly. I also grow green beans that my mil cans in her pressure canner. Everything else I grow goes in the freezer.

I took some Christmas money and bought an electric pressure canner, and will see what happens with that. I keep thinking of all the things I could can if I had one, but I have a glass top stove and am very afraid of the stove top ones.

What do you can?

I have yet to truly can, lol.  I did purchase a pressure canner that is explicitly compatible with smooth top stoves, but it finally became available at the same time as the canning lid shortage, lol.  I don’t see myself getting serious about it until we move, but I’m very eager to get even just ground beef canned, since commercially canned is so expensive and often (these days) hard to find.

I would much rather have an electric option, but I’m not comfortable with that until the USDA deems it safe.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, MissLemon said:

I have never canned anything! There are only 3 of us and we don't eat very many canned goods. 

I do wish I knew how to can, because it seems like a handy skill. I am nervous about doing it wrong and making us all horribly ill!

That's why I started with tomatoes and jam. If you do it wrong, you KNOW you did it wrong. Jam and jelly won't poison you, just get moldy if it didn't seal good. Tomatoes smell horrible if they don't seal properly. Both are super easy and don't need any special equipment. But I guess for 3 people I could see how it would feel like over kill.

If you don't mind me asking, if you don't eat much canned food, what type of food do you store?

4 hours ago, saraha said:

That's why I started with tomatoes and jam. If you do it wrong, you KNOW you did it wrong. Jam and jelly won't poison you, just get moldy if it didn't seal good. Tomatoes smell horrible if they don't seal properly. Both are super easy and don't need any special equipment. But I guess for 3 people I could see how it would feel like over kill.

If you don't mind me asking, if you don't eat much canned food, what type of food do you store?

Frozen, fresh, and shelf stable foods. I have enough canned emergency foods to last 2 weeks, (canned fruits, veggies, tuna). The canned stuff is for extended power outages.  

• Like 1