Menu

Mary Pecci has passed away

Sadness. I'm not a big workbook fan, but we really enjoyed used her Super Seatwork Word Skills book when DSs were in the elementary grades, and another homeschooling friend taught her son to read with Mary Pecci's materials. There is a whimsy and charm to her simple artwork and streamlined workbooks and activities for working with words that is very appealing to visual-spatial learners.

Back in April of this year, I felt strongly motivated to buy a new copy of her Word Skills workbook, just to have as a possible resource for if DSs ever have children, or as a possible resource for young friends of mine who have little ones they are planning to homeschool when the children are old enough. Mary Pecci processed the order herself, and even sent me both a email AND a short hand-written note with the workbook!

It sounds like she passed away in September. Because I had purchased that workbook back in April, I just received an email message (see below) about her passing.

Anyone else remember Mary Pecci?

"An Update on
Mary F. Pecci, M.A.
During this time of COVID there are many changes happening around us. In September of this year my dear aunt Mary passed away at the age of 88. Shortly after her departure we realized the importance and impact of her amazing works.

Mary lived life pursuing her true passion of teaching reading to anyone and everyone. Growing up she taught all of the "kids" and once we had children of our own she took them aside as well. Little did we know her method was being used globally by thousands of readers.

After being dissatisfied with the current reading methods used by the public school system back in the 1970s she quit her job as a teacher and developed her own reading method, At last! A Reading Method for Every Child! She created a system that allows the reader to easily decode text by using only one sound for each letter or letter-combination. In addition, she meticulously created direct dialogue between the teacher and student for each word introduced to make it easy for teachers, parents and home schoolers to use the method...

In the 80s she spent a year volunteering in San Quentin prison teaching two illiterate prisoners on a dare. Her book, A Rescue from Illiteracy (at San Quentin Prison), detailing this story is due to be released early next year...

Best,
Caroline Burns
CEO, Pecci Educational Publishers"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 12:56 PM, Lori D. said:

Anyone else remember Mary Pecci?

I do.

I didn't use her materials personally as we didn't begin homeschooling until my daughter was in seventh grade. However, I worked for about five years as the librarian of a homeschooling resource center, and I bought a copy of her At Last! A Reading Method for every Child! for our collection.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1