Menu

Positive things that happened in 2020

mommyoffive

I didn't lose my job (nor did my husband).  I actually got a pay raise.  My boss has received multiple positive comments about me from coworkers and a VP and actually passed them along to me; I feel respected and satisfied in my job.

No one in my immediate or extended family has gotten sick or died, and for that I am grateful.

I was lucky enough to have moved into a house in FL with a pool prior to the pandemic.  We have been able to enjoy our time at home.

• Like 17

I took up golf again and went golfing with my mom a lot. I learned to knit. I was able to easily step down from a couple things that I wanted out of, but felt very stuck. My family is still healthy and for that I’m so thankful. Also super thankful that we were already seasoned homeschoolers and our academics have continued without disruption. 

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, Kinsa said:

So, yeah, I can't complain.  I don't talk about it much though, because people just don't want to hear it.  You're supposed to be miserable this year.

Kinsa----I always love your updates.

2020 certainly had its challenges but I also found many good things in it as well.  I wrote this blog post about it.

I got in a lot of outdoor time.   I reconnected and developed a deeper friendship with a previously casual friend/acquaintance.   I started a fitness program and lost 40# and got stronger.  I walked, hiked, kayaked, mountain biked and even carried a pack on a 7.5 mile trail.

So, while there were challenges and things I wish were different, I did enjoy the outside time and creative ways to connect with friends and neighbors.

• Like 17

We have hit on a working medication combination for a DD. She's doing better physically and mentally due to it.

One DD graduated high school & got her Associate's degree and started at a 4 year college. 

DH completed an Associates degree this year as well.

My family has been spared any serious medical or financial issues due to COVID.

Lots of family time.

• Like 16

This year has been pretty good for us. I'm a teacher and DH is a therapist - good plague jobs to have? DH has been able to see clients virtually, and though I'm full time in person at school, I feel decent about the safety measures we have in place, along with VT's relatively low numbers for Covid. DS started taking classes at Well Trained Mind Academy this year and loves them. I am so impressed with it so far. We sold our old house and bought a new (to us) house that has more space and is 20 min closer to my work. I am super close to finishing my special ed certification program and will hopefully have my permanent license by spring. And I'm more than halfway through my math masters. Finally, DS (12) is now taller than me, which seems to have made his year. 😁

• Like 16

I loved the slower pace for our family and spent ridiculous amounts of time outside and in my garden.

My beloved two-years-older sister received a terminal cancer diagnosis last November, but had 13 metastatic tumors removed from her head and is still alive and living without pain now.

DIL has had surgery to correct an issue that caused two miscarriages and they are actively trying to conceive again.

I can see the air and water are cleaner in my area.  When the fires were happening out west, it was very noticeable. The comet and "Christmas Star" were celestial high points which we spent hours marveling over.

I can only write this with a lump in my throat for all who were not as lucky or privileged as me and my family.

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 18

2 hours ago, Kinsa said:

2020 was actually an awesome year for our family.  My husband got a boatload of coronavirus overtime hours (which means we were raking in the money), two of my kids joined the military and moved out of my basement, one kid graduated college with honors and is now gainfully employed, one kid dropped out of college (which, in the year of the rona, wasn't such a bad choice) and got employment which he loves, and with my two who still live at home we got a boatload of homeschooling done because everything out of the home was cancelled.  So, yeah, I can't complain.  I don't talk about it much though, because people just don't want to hear it.  You're supposed to be miserable this year.

You're back! Nosy question, how did things with your sister and her kids turn out?

• Like 3

Many good things happened for us in 2020. The year was a busy blur that sped by in the blink of an eye.

Our family stayed Covid-free. So did everyone who works for us, and their families.

My college kids have been living at home and taking online classes, so we've had lots of family togetherness. I'm not sure they're as thrilled about it as I am, but it's been good.🙂

Dd18 got accepted into a college and program that she is very excited about.

It was a good year financially. Our businesses have been crazy busy.

I was able to do a lot of philanthropic work, which makes me happy.

Our two silly Aussie puppies kept us cracking up with laughter all year long.

• Like 15

We got much more done academically than I set out to do in our schedule because I was not spending time driving hours and hours to various activities. I learned to cook, bake, ferment so many new dishes this year that I cannot keep track of all of the recipes! I grew a self-sustaining vegetable garden all Summer and Fall and did not buy any produce for months. This is the first year that we have very little food wastage because I have enough time to keep up with my pantry inventory.

• Like 17

This has been a rough year for us in many ways, but we've had a few highlights too! Our first grandchild was born and she's a super happy baby. I've been really thankful that we're homeschoolers and not dealing with the on again off again virtual school. DS took his first dual enrollment classes and did really well. He also got a nomination to a military academy and was offered the highest merit scholarship at a state university.

• Like 18

We moved into our brand new house which I'm loving. We actually signed the contract in Nov. 2019 but it the construction was completed in May 2020. Though it took several months for our old house to sell we got offered 10K over the asking price and since we expected to have to reduce the asking price that was a huge bonus.

We're now much closer to the grandkids and other family members, which was the whole point of our move.

We were able to cosign a car loan for ds23. He now not only has a nice, reliable car, he'll be able to create a credit history, something he didn't have before. 

• Like 17

I am extremely grateful that DH has been able to work from home, and it looks like it might become semipermanent. He has so much extra time without his commute and I truly love having him home all day.

DS has been doing his public high school classes virtually and while it isn’t easy on him, he has become closer to some of his friends both near and far through sports and gaming. I sense that he will emerge with a new appreciation for stretching himself and putting himself out there in social situations.

I have had a huge self realization that has led to my having a lot more confidence in myself.

DS has been accepted to his number one choice US college and into his coveted program at his number one overseas university. I am insanely proud of his accomplishments no matter which he chooses. 

I lost my job and became a stinking statistic (I hate being a statistic lol), and while I’m hating not working, I am grateful that my income was discretionary and not truly needed. I won’t settle for working in that type of environment again, which signifies a huge growth for me.

Our kitties. None of us knows how we would have gotten through this year without them. 😻

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

We got much more done academically than I set out to do in our schedule because I was not spending time driving hours and hours to various activities.

Same. I've actually enjoyed this experiment in a more isolated mode of homeschooling, because it has shown me the nice parts of having fewer activities and just focusing on family. While we wouldn't enjoy this level of isolation after the pandemic, we will probably prioritize family time more than I have done previously. 

We also finally got a farm box and got to experiment with cooking a wider variety of veggies, which has been great! (Sadly, I discovered that despite my Russian roots, I am not good at incorporating beats into recipes...) 

• Like 13

We actually had a pretty good year as a family. I’m a teacher and did not lose my job although some did. We had lots of at home family time since I’ve been teaching remote a lot. I took a bunch of grad classes to boost me up the pay scale. Little kids learned to ride bikes & scooters. We get to homeschool again! I’m having fun working with them. My parents are helping with the kids & get to see them on days I’m working in person- they do the fun school stuff & hike daily. Dd 18 is almost to graduation & loves remote schooling. Ds 20 moved out during Covid after dorms closed, is doing well in his apartment across the state & still in college and working a great job in his field. Spent the summer at the beach in our neighborhood daily. And we just got 2 cats who are great & my brother across the street just got a new puppy 🙂 The cousins played together outside a ton all summer because no one was off at camps or activities. Oh and I lost 50 lbs!

I feel bad that we had such a nice year when it’s been horrible for so many.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 13

MDD was accepted into a prestigious improv troupe and is having a blast even though it's only meeting by zoom.  She also had time to be in an online production of Shakespeare vignettes.  

We got a great dog.  A new camper and a boat. (Yay overtime)

Updated the main bathroom.

The toddler and I didn't have to live in the car ferrying the other two to their activities.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 10

With the understanding that this was a terrible year for many people, our family thrived.

DH's job, for a little while, was super predictable with zero overtime & allowed him to get a ton of stuff done at the house because he had consistent time off.

Dd#1 pulled off an incredible amount of credits (which might not have been possible if everything had been in person), worked 40 hrs/wk this summer, and still has a good gpa.

Dd#2 managed her non-profit superbly & took her first DE class this summer while our local pool was mostly closed. (If it would have been open more, she would have been so sad to miss time there as she would have been too busy with work, volunteering, & studying.) She fostered kittens, earned 10 college credits, and got better at rollerblading. When she won an award, she didn't have to do a big speech or accept it in front of a crowd like she would have in a regular year.

Dd#3 taught herself to knit & got really good at roller skating. She's also started jogging with ds#1 & in good shape. 

Ds#1 upper his physical fitness level, grew about 7", and learned many Lord of the Rings facts.

Ds#2 hasn't had a great year, but he's also learned to roller blade, so we'll celebrate that.

We've actually kept pretty busy at home so we didn't get a ton more homeschooling done vs normal but I am very grateful my kids were already in a learn-from-home groove and that I didn't have any kids in live online classes as I suspect it was a tough year with the newer homeschoolers joining in an unfamiliar method of schooling. So blessed to have our health, our home, and our family still strong.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Well this year was a year wasn't it?  I know it was a really sucky year, but did you have any positive things that happened this year? 

It became abundantly clear who prized relationships over politics?  I consider it a win but I admit that I won't be nearly as close or warm feeling towards some.

My beautiful niece got married.  I got a new grandbaby.  (And, ssshhh, another on the way!)
We had more home time.  DH got a different position at work and he's SO much happier and permanently working from home.  

Oops! Almost forgot, LOL!  20+ years after leaving college? I graduated with my Bachelors.  Bucket list? Check.

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 20

Menopause for me, yay!

Black belt for me.

I walked roughly a thousand miles (I should add it up at some point).

My kids graduated 8th grade, got confirmed, and had a lot of fun doing fall high school activities (though school was remote).

I worked at the polls for the first time.  It was a really positive experience for me.

My close family and friends are well.

As far as school (academics), my work, and house stuff, it wasn't the best of times or the worst of times.  I think it's a time to be thankful if things are essentially the same as last year.

• Like 8

There were many positive things for me this year, despite all the awfulness. I have three new great-nephews. I knitted them each a baby blanket on my loom and they turned out lovely. I went to Europe with dd and made it back just before the 💩 hit the fan. Dd and I both completed a paralegal course under lockdown and now we both are employed as paralegals. Dd got engaged. My youngest is doing very well with online high school. He made distinguished honor roll first quarter. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I thought online schooling would be difficult for him because he’s not the most attentive self-starter, but evidently he’s making it work. 

• Like 12

I developed a consistent walking habit and have lost some weight.

We got the ball rolling, finally, on evaluation for DS so we can understand his quirkiness better.

Back in January, we got to take oldest to Wizarding World at Universal for her 11th birthday. I'm so, so thankful that we were able to have that experience before everything shut down - it was really fabulous.

I taught my kids to play handbells. We did a performance of Christmas music in the driveway for grandparents to come and hear them ring, and it was a lot of fun.

• Like 13

Oh! A significantly awesome thing this year for me is that I reconnected with my best friend from high school. He moved half way across the country to be with me a couple years after graduating, but eventually we grew apart and lost touch. I hadn’t spoken with him in over 25 years but found him through the internets and immediately it was clear we are as close as ever, like no time had passed at all. I am beyond thrilled to have him back in my life. ❤️

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Oh, something else good happened that's actually a result of Covid-19. I now have a weekly Zoom meeting with an online book group. We've been together as an online group for quite a few years but never thought to have virtual video meetings until this thing hit. I do hope we continue it even after the virus is under control. I look forward to our Sunday afternoon virtual get togethers. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 12

Just now, Lady Florida. said:

Oh, something else good happened that's actually a result of Covid-19. I now have a weekly Zoom meeting with an online book group. We've been together as an online group for quite a few years but never thought to have virtual video meetings until this thing hit. I do hope we continue it even after the virus is under control. I look forward to our Sunday afternoon virtual get togethers. 

Oh yeah! I figured out how to run GOOD Zoom math classes, which is fun, and may very well create a way for my DDs to bond with their friends even AFTER the pandemic. (Especially since DD4 also shows signs of being radically mathematically accelerated.) 

• Like 10

[I'm not sure if this is good or bad ... time will tell ... but an ex started corresponding with me this year.  We did not part on bad terms.  We are not meeting in person, because he is his elderly mom's caretaker, and my household is not locked down.  But we've had some nice phone conversations.]

• Like 11

My Ds started school in January, after being homeschooled, and he is doing ok. Big transition with some bumps, but in general, it’s a win! Ds’ tiny school has been in-person all but three days of the first semester.

My part time tutoring work has developed into something substantial. I am enjoying the work, learning lots, and have plenty of use for the money.

My kids’ AHG and BSA troops are thriving. 

We got an inexpensive beach trip last summer, thanks to a generous friend.

We paid off a car and saved a little money.

I did a lot of reading in 2020!

We are all healthy and Dh’s work at home mode may continue well past 2021. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 9

This year has had ups and downs.

My husband has recuperated well from his cancer diagnosis and surgeries.

We welcomed a great-niece in May.

My sister recovered from COVID-19; fortunately her case was relatively mild. Her husband tested positive but was asymptomatic.

My old book group (from the 1990s) invited me to Zoom with them.

My best friend from college (who would contact me every five to ten tears) emailed me this summer and has been in touch several times since.

Another good friend from college just let me know that he and his partner of twenty-five years will marry tomorrow.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

It was a dreadful year overall, but here are the good things that I’m thankful for:

1.  I made my first sourdough starter and sourdough bread.  And it was San Francisco quality, which is really saying something.

2.  First chili from scratch, and first tamales, both very good.

3.  I established better capabilities to work remotely, and could do so without wearing the normed and miserable clothes I am used to.

4.  I got to spend a lot of time just about living at our cabin during Shelter In Place.  

5.  I started doing HIIT and actually felt my fitness improve, which I did not think was possible after multiple previous failures following my bad tendon reaction to Cipro a few years back.  That was fantastic news.

• Like 10

We also celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary.  

The best thing that happened for us in 2020, though, was that our child came out to us as transgender.  After years of struggling with anxiety and depression and hiding her true self she is so much happier, and it is wonderful to see our beautiful child smiling again!  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

So there is a lot for our family to be thankful for this year. But, if there is one event I remember from 2020:

My then-6yo wanted to do an ice cream stand in the middle of summer. He roped a neighbor girl to help him, but he did 80-90% of the work. He would be standing outside for 6-7 hours, in 100+ heat, on our small street in the middle of nowhere, waiting for cars to pass or people taking walks in the neighborhood. For 2 weeks he really put a lot of effort into it.

At the end of the 2 weeks, he tallied up his money, and after expenses was left with something like $56.

He immediately turned around and asked me how much it would cost to treat the family to burgers (it's a serious treat for us, maybe a 5-6 times a year). He immediately handed me the money and said that's how he wanted to spend the money, "Giving everyone a great dinner and you don't have to cook!" My heart grew 3 sizes that day, lol. 💗 And so that's what he did with his money (I gave him back the change).

But wait, there's more...

It turns out he pooled his remaining cash along with whatever savings he had and bought me a Christmas present. He couldn't wait to give it to me anymore (I guess it was delivered to him in October, he had his dad help him fill out a form for mail order) so he gave it to me on the 23rd. It's a beautiful necklace. Not like kid cute, a legit necklace. It was an insert ad in some magazine for this. And his whole reason for doing the ice cream is he wanted to buy me a Christmas present like this, and the burgers were just a bonus for him. 😭 He has $0 left after all of this and he is *happy*.

And the moral of the story is, I don't deserve my kids, but I'll try harder from now on. 

So that's what I want to take away from this year.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Let's see.  My ds got a great online job.  My dsil graduated college.  We celebrated our 35th anniversary with a wonderful trip to many states but spending the most time in North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska.  We saw our first badger and it was having a badger fight which was like a wrestling match. We also got a few new bird species on our list too.  Oh and I found out that although I do have a lot of medical problems, I have do not have any heart issues or any heart valve issues including no buildup at all.

• Like 7

DHs business is doing really well through the pandemic. There were other personal positive things, but honestly the suck still outweighs it all. There was just a LOT of stuff the kids and dh missed out on this year that they can't ever get back. 😕 

My biggest positive thing is the vaccine and seeing a tiny light at the end of this stupidly long tunnel!!!! 💉🎆🎉🍾

• Like 4

• I gained a new son (currently fostering but it looks like adoption will happen)
  • I have had more time at home
  • Neither DH nor I have lost our jobs
  • My dad moved to NC
  • 16 year old got his license and his first job
  • 21 year old has been taking a gap year with YWAM in CA and loving it
  • Like 6

Dh and I survived the company retrenchments and both still have jobs.

We and our close family are all still healthy

We had a 'bonus year' with uni dd at home - she did extremely well academically this year.

Managed a trip to see my father and stepmom just before we've again had to go into lockdown.

Realised the importance of relationships with family and friends.

• Like 3

Dh is a school teacher and was under a lot of stress last winter with some hard students. The shut down actually relieved that for him. 

I have taught local homeschool math students in my home for years, so I learned to use Zoom last spring. Offering it that way this fall, I tripled the number of students because they don't have to lose time at home coming to my house. 

Dd graduated as an RN last December, and she moved and started her first nursing job this year. While it's been challenging to move to a new city during everything shut down, she likes her job and has made a couple of friends as well as getting a cat. 

Ds had a new girlfriend right before it happened, and he got to do a lot of fun things with their family this summer (lake house, boats, water skiing--things he'd never really experienced before). 

Ds finally got to take the SAT and scored enough to get some merit aid at the college he wants to go to, and he got his acceptance from them. 

• Like 7

There definitely has been suck, but some good things this year.

Dh's job continued as usual with some working at home. 

My business is still running.  We had to take the summer off but we were able to continue paying our rent, etc. and reopened in September.  Things are doing pretty well and it's pretty much self-supporting.

I'm seeing a lot more of my oldest dd.   We started getting together to walk every day over the summer when we were both off (she was laid off from her retail management job).  Now that we are both back to work, we still get together 2 or 3 days a week.  She was able to stay on track for grad school and will be finished this May.  

My younger kids have handled everything fine.  They were already homeschooled thankfully, and are pretty strong introverts with established on-line friend groups.    I wouldn't say homeschooling is going amazing but I'm sure it's going better than they would if they were trying the hybrid public school craziness.   

• Like 5

my oldest dd is doing much much better than I ever imagined, after some harrowing times with her.

Her dh, my sil got a stable job with good benefits after graduating in the spring.

My dh stayed employed through the whole pandemic. 

I got a new writing client who gives me marvelous, steady work that I enjoy

I deepened two friendships, despite the pandemic.

My second dd graduated from High School in the Spring and finished her first semester of college work.

My son got his high red belt and is on track to test for black in late spring/early summer.

My dd15 got her learners permit, and raised her virtual school grades to all As and Bs, upping her GPA since her first year of high school was not so great.

We lost my mil in early December to Covid. However, there are some good things that fell into place to make that time less hard for us. We didn't get pigs this year, and that was a good thing as it turns out, since she was sick, died, and then we all got Covid at her funeral. Also, our cows didn't breed as well last year and my dh decided against artificial insemination and to  just let the bulls do their thing. Since we would've been inseminating the first week of December and checking cows for heat and such all month, it actually turned out for the best that we didn't do AI this year. December would've been much much more difficult if our farm work hadn't just managed to fall out that way. 

• Like 4

My older son has blossomed academically after lots of intervention (2e) and is doing better with Soom tutoring than he did in person. My younger son has had extra time for music and drawing. Both boys are super positive about staying home.

DH and my older son built a shed.

We walk almost daily. I’ve lost roughly two pants sizes (the new size is snug, but so was the original size, lol). I figured out a health issue, which led to the weight loss, and while it involves a new eating plan, it solved a lot of issues (including that I felt hungry constantly),  and the weight loss was a bonus.

I changed chiropractors because mine would not follow Covid guidelines, and I think the new one is much better.

I did a bunch of cross-stitch and blackwork (back stitch only), learned some embroidery, and learned English Paper Piecing.

DH for his first Covid shot and has a couple of months off around the holidays, avoiding the Covid surge at the moment. He starts his new job in February or March, and it seems like it’s going to be light years better than his previous job, which he had for about 12 years. Better organization, philosophy, communication, benefits, and pension so far.

I am hoping these good changes mean future change (possibly in church or school options) will also be positive. Other than more time at home, most of these are changes we would not have initiated.

• Like 3